'bash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Haggerty

Reaction score
Just put a bid in on a nice Calabash on eBay., but I don't have any experience with them (that won't stop me thought, LOL). Any tips on them, should I win it? The insert bowls seem like they'd be good for English blends, but I wonder about flakes in them as well.

I never had much luck with my calabash, but I plan to get all my old pipes out of storage over Christmas. If the gourd is in good shape, I do want to try the calabash again. I do think that stronger mixtures might be called for than the aromatics I used to smoke. I also suspect that any tobacco that works well with a gravity pack would work. In any event, I am looking forward to any hints more experienced calabash pipers are able to pass on!

I've found out some virginias, (not aged) which smoke somewhat harsh, mellow out in a calabash. Well aged VAs have a different personality,,,I pick up flavors I hadn't noticed before when I smoked them in a briar. Smoke the same blend side by side with a briar and check it out. I haven't folded and stuffed so I can't comment on that. Ribbon, shag, rubbed out flake, cubed ,,,all smoke dry and cool. I leave the aros to a cob, so I don't have an opinion on them.
As close as I get to an English blend is Presbyterian, so Lat bombs are someone elses territory to explore in a bash.
There's even a flavor difference between a calabash and a standard meer,,,so I've ruled out the meerschaum as the difference factor,,,must be in the space the gourd provides under the cup. I'm no expert, but I enjoy mine,,,have fun guys.

My experience with estate bashes has been very negative.Wth new bashes it is a different story.I still enjoy my '70's pioneer wich i clean oftenly.Perfect for smoking on high humidity levels.The problem with the estate bashes is that they may come extremly dirty and stinky.Even with an alcohol retort they may be difficult to clean.Also,with most of them you have to fix the cork gasket.I buy oftenly estate briar pipes but with a calabash,i suggest a new one.I wish you luck if it is an used item.

The thing is to get a block meerschaum bowl instead of a pressed one. Although I had a Pioneer years ago with a pressed bowl and had no problems with it,,,it disappeared with the rest of my pipes mysteriously when divorce papers were served,,, :shock:

I only have one, a Baki, so I don't know about the quality of other brands. I'm happy with mine, it's a quality pipe but they're not cheap,,

http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/bakipipes.html

Strambach calabashs are about half the price of Bakis, but I'm not familiar with them

http://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/pipe/stw105.php?i4s19s4

There are probably others, I don't know,,,but if you want the cup made from block meer, and they they don't emphasize in the ad that it is, then e-mail them and ask.

With estate bashes, I too would worry about the gasket. Often times, a finger lick of cooking oil will swell the gasket and seal it. Works with mine and it looks like cork. Protects it from drying out and also resists friction when popping the bowl out. I like burley plug in my bash where in a regular pipe, my tounge takes quite a lashing. The other thing I like about my bash is it's a comfy hold. Kind of like a firm love handle.