Basic Pipe Stuff

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmondesi

Reaction score
Being new to pipes and pipe smoking, I have some very basic questions.

1. What besides bowl and stem, is there any terminology that I should familiarize myself with.
2. Are there any Wikis or Stickies that serve as a "how to guide" for caring for your pipes, packing tobacco, keeping them lit, restoration, etc.?
3. Why is the straight pipe recommended for beginners rather than the curved?
4. Are there any resources that help explain design rationale for different types of pipes. I'm assuming that there is a reason that the designs are so wide ranging other than aesthetics.

Thanks for the collective knowledge

Pipedia.org
pipesmoking.net

A couple of good places to start,,the brothers will probably throw a dozen more at you,,,,

mark":qham0ene said:
Pipedia.org
pipesmoking.net

A couple of good places to start,,the brothers will probably throw a dozen more at you,,,,
Awesome thanks

I've been reading the pipesmoking.net history of pipes, types of woods, etc. & this is absolutely fascinating stuff. :study:

Hey Rich,
If you're like the rest of us, you probably have already read up on as much pipe info as you could find.

I wanted to address the straight pipe recommendation for starters. I actually always recommended a bent pipe. I like straight pipes, but a nice bent is more comfortable to me, thus making the smoke slightly more enjoyable.

I did have someone when I first started tell me that bent pipes smoke cooler, but I have not found any correlation between the bend in a pipe and how hot/cool it smokes.

One good reason to start with a straight pipe though is because they are more likely to pass a cleaner test.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the good info here, fellas. I bought a bent, but that's because I am about image too :)

The recommendation to start with straight pipes is because bents are more prone to airway problems (including not being able to pass a cleaner), leading to excessive condensation, &c. There are good-smoking bents, but the odds of getting a pipe that smokes well favor the straight shapes, for reasons relating to the manufacturing process.

LL (Precision Pipe Repair & Restoration) has noted that the majority of the pipes he has sent to him for airway improvements are bents.

:face:

HoosierPuffer":xpjrnbye said:
Makes sense. I want one of the Savinelli Bing Favs.... :bounce:
Those are cool; I have a copy of one made by Mark Tinsky. I traded another Tinsky (a bulldog) to get it. It is a very nice pipe.

I'll try to get my camera working, so I can show it to y'all. I've been toying around with getting a Clark's favorite, which is more bent.