Bay Life...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
I've only lived by the bay for about 3 years. Prior to that, I spent time in MI, OH, CO, and TX. Colorado certainly had it's charms with the mountains and all, but I'm really starting to dig this bay life.

I needed today in a major way. My job/life has been a bit of a rollercoaster as of late, and the stress levels have risen. This morning I woke up to 65 degree weather without a cloud in the sky. There are a rare precious few hours in the morning when the rest of my family is waking up and getting ready. This is time I desperately cherish, and try to use for the good of my well being. Today, I headed straight for the water.

I've recently aquired a Stand Up Paddle Board, and all I can say is, "Where has this sport been all my life?". I rocked down to the bay, threw my board onto the perfectly glassy water and paddled away from the shore, the noise, the stress, and into serenity. By the time I got going, it was already 70 degrees and still climbing. Completely comfortable in nothing but swimming shorts, I felt like I was on vacation...if only for 2 hours.

I'm starting to understand why beach bums are beach bums. I could get used to this  :D 

Just thought I'd share a little ray of sunshine from the deep south.

photo_20.jpg

Bay-Life-e1393716255964.jpg

Excellent!!  :D  I love the sea. The wife and I are going to retire somewhere near the sea in a few years, probably be the PNW though. Partly because we have family and history there (and it's always green) but mostly because we hate humidity. I've been to the gulf coast and the eastern seaboard and down into Baja several times. Loved everything but the humidity (and hurricanes, which I could do without).

Good for you, that paddle board looks like a lot of fun  :D

You're a dick, Growley.

3_12_m10.jpg
" />

:lol!: Just kidding, man. I could never truly begrudge a brother for some fairweather relaxation, even when my typical "Bay Life" morning looks more like this these days:

cfiles11.jpg
" />

That paddleboard looks like a lot of fun.

Puff Daddy":a5cp0x5g said:
Excellent!!  :D  I love the sea. The wife and I are going to retire somewhere near the sea in a few years, probably be the PNW though. Partly because we have family and history there (and it's always green) but mostly because we hate humidity. I've been to the gulf coast and the eastern seaboard and down into Baja several times. Loved everything but the humidity (and hurricanes, which I could do without).

Good for you, that paddle board looks like a lot of fun  :D
The humidity I think I've finally gotten used to, as well as the heat for that matter. But yeah, the hurricanes suck. I guess between hurricanes, tornadoes, freezes, landslides, sinkholes, earthquakes, floods and so on it's almost like you have to pick your poison and hope it doesn't hit you too hard.

The paddle board is a blast, but it doesn't take too much to fall in. My particular board is a race style, so it favors very flat water, but I still try to ride it in the waves.

George Kaplan":i7dx6wbu said:
You're a dick, Growley.

3_12_m10.jpg
" />

:lol!: Just kidding, man. I could never truly begrudge a brother for some fairweather relaxation, even when my typical "Bay Life" morning looks more like this these days:

cfiles11.jpg
" />

That paddleboard looks like a lot of fun.
I feel your icy pain George. I grew up in these conditions, spent 22 years in OH and MI. Hopefully you'll see some respite soon. We had kids suntanning here today and playing beach volleyball in swimsuits. It wasn't "that" warm but you know how it is when you get a touch of warmth. Oh wait, you don't...just kidding  :twisted: 

Ocean beaches are good when they're empty of people. Sand dunes ditto. Woods also. When people are in EMPTY places like that -- ones that convey a sense of vastness -- it really puts the piddly human crap we obsess ourselves with into perspective. Automatically.

I kind of pity people that grew up without that, in a way.

:face:

Yak":0efw64ab said:
Ocean beaches are good when they're empty of people. Sand dunes ditto. Woods also. When people are in EMPTY places like that -- ones that convey a sense of vastness -- it really puts the piddly human crap we obsess ourselves with into perspective. Automatically.

I kind of pity people that grew up without that, in a way.

:face:
Well said. I miss the woods. I spent a good amount of time playing in them as a kid. I miss the mountains for the same reason. I'm definitely not a city guy. I won't knock the city by any means, because to each is own. But I spent just two days in Chicago about a week back, and I couldn't wait to get back. I didn't hate it. It just isn't for me.

I see a country house in my distant future. Heck, by then I'll just have Amazon drones deliver everything to me. Shoot, maybe I'll figure a way to ship my pipes out the same way. How cool would that be?  :cheers: 

Growley":9fpoadja said:
It wasn't "that" warm but you know how it is when you get a touch of warmth. Oh wait, you don't...just kidding  :twisted: 
Yeah, I know how it is; we're actually more than a foot below normal snowfall for the season. It's downright tropical here. We actually get guys out surfing in November and December, a few miles north of that breakwater in my second pic. Yooper beach bums seem to be completely effing insane a bit hardier than most.

The humidity in Alabama is the worst, but I do love the bay where you're at.

The wife and I are heading to the coast of Kenya, Mombasa, in a week. I look forward to it. Perhaps I will have to take pictures and share with you all as well.

Rad Davis":2hbp3hx6 said:
So, Brian, have you experienced a Jubilee yet?   :D 

Rad
Not yet. I hear it doesn't come around that often, and doesn't last long when it does. It would be something to see for sure.

Love the picture brother , been bout an hour west of you most my life and don't plan on leaving the south. Not a big fan of the humidity either but I live on a bay also and it's a great place to call home. Shoot feels like some where else with the past few days being almost freezing though. :roll: 

I need to retire to someplace like that BEFORE I get too old to enjoy the water. I've watched the paddleboard guys (and gals) on the Gulf, it looks like fun. Is the Gulf water warm enough for just trunks this time of the year? (what is the water temp?) That is a great photo.

I'm jealous, it's 23 degrees here at noon time and snowing again.
I've seen the paddle board guys but kayak fishing is my method of enjoying time on the water.
Beautiful photograph and the look of solitude at that time of the morning. Enjoy

Rob_In_MO":fsyxlaqz said:
joshoowah":fsyxlaqz said:
The humidity in Alabama is the worst, but I do love the bay where you're at.
Worst humidity I've ever experienced was in the Louisiana swamps.   :x 
Equally bad, for sure. July and August are months where people hibernate, that is stay in the AC until the fall.

Paddle board's got ya', huh?
Whenever you want to give boardsailing, a.k.a., windsurfing a go, I'll gift you boards, sails, masts, booms, even wetsuits...we have more than we'll ever need (again). My wife and I agree it's time for "sit-down" sailing now for us. Gear is free - you pick up, though.

Aristokles":hfe8ka3p said:
Paddle board's got ya', huh?
Whenever you want to give boardsailing, a.k.a., windsurfing a go, I'll gift you boards, sails, masts, booms, even wetsuits...we have more than we'll ever need (again). My wife and I agree it's time for "sit-down" sailing now for us.  Gear is free - you pick up, though.
The generosity of you guys never ceases to amaze.