Be aware of your surroundings

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2027

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I was driving back home at 3am after and extended prayer meeting that involved a deck of cards. I live out in the country and as I turned onto a side road close to home I notice a car parked in front of the doors of the closed Citgo station. The station closes at 11pm so I took note. I checked the rear view mirror and they dropped in behind me 200 yards. When out of sight I gave it the gas to get a 300 yard lead.

Now I am coming up on my neighborhood which the road looks like a a giant P from overhead. I enter at the bottom of the letter and there is a slight bend in the road. I check the rear view and the car pulls into the neighborhood. Now I live at the top of the P but now that I am out of sight from the car I turn where the T intersection is go the long way and give it the gas. They didn't see me turn. As I get to the backside of the P I am now driving towards the pursuer and they hit the brakes. I get to the house and kill the lights. They did not double back since they knew they have been made.

No it wasn't a cop looking for a DD to fill up his book of green stamps. The vehicle was orange or copper and foreign made.

For the first time I am now considering a conceal carry permit . . .

Very scary!

I'm definitely of the opinion that no one is more responsible for your personal safety than you. I've got my carry permit for that reason.

Kudos for the situational awareness. Most folks don't stop to think about the potential dangers lurking out there.

Carrying a piece is a p.i.t.a. in more ways than one, but what else are you supposed to do? Remember that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Research and training highly recommended.

Police officer stops a little ol' lady for running a stop sign. Officer approaches car noticing that driver's side window is down and little ol' lady has both her hands on the top of the steering wheel in plain view. Officer asks lady if she is "carrying." She replies, "Yes, officer, I am carrying, not one; but three weapons!!! Officer asks, "Ma'am, just what are you so afraid of that you carry three weapons?" Lady replies..."Absolutely nothing!!!!" :cheers: FTRPLT

Never lead someone to your house.. better to lead them to the local police station.

Carrying doesn't have to be a PITA...
Get the right tool for the right job. A 3 inch barreled wheel gun or a compact (think Glock 43 not Glock 19) semi auto can be carried very discreetly with a decent holster and a decent belt. I suggest Simply Rugged for both.
If you can't commit to belt carry all the time a Kimber microcarry/sig 238/colt mustang or a S&W j frame in a fitted pocket holster works just as well.

A going to church belt won't work, get a good pistol belt and many of the 'PITA' disappear.
I sometime Outside the waistband (OWB) belt carry a Ruger GP100 or a Beretta 92fs hidden by a simple t shirt in a simply rugged pancake and belt.

Yeah, I have to agree with the other poster, I would have NEVER went home until I knew for a fact they were no where to be found, in fact driving to a Police station would have been a good idea and not even entering your neighborhood. For you see.....now they know where you live.
Now, I would contact the police and let them know exactly what you saw and where and also let them know the perps know where you live. Don't mean to get you all worked up but, I'd be on extra alert mode if I was you. Of course, I trust NO ONE! :suspect:

Well I live out in the boonies. Police station is pretty darn far away. I wasn't sure they were following me until they turned into my neighborhood. That was the confirmation. Doing the old switcharoo and catching head on let them know I knew and they took off. Calling the police in my area would take about 30 minutes to respond. i'm in the county which is why I am now serious considering carrying. I wasn't really interested in trying to stop and take license plate, make and model. :x

puros_bran":1x42ig7i said:
Carrying doesn't have to be a PITA...
:lol: I was alluding to other aspects besides literal pain. I have no problem carrying a .45. It's the physical maintenance, protocols with police when stopped, and other legalities that vex me. Walk into a post office heavy and you've committed a federal crime, etc. Shoot, don't-shoot considerations, same as cops. Got a lawyer? Research, I say. Pain in the ass.

It's your state. In the Commonwealth we've had open carry since being granted statehood. Funny thing though, in yesteryear a man open carry was just a neighbor, a guy concealed carry was a thug looking for trouble. Now it's flip flopped. Open carry asshat trying to be a hero, looking for trouble, etc.

As far as the PO. I don't generally go. Somewhere in the last couple years our mail lady got super awesome. She delivers stuff right to the door, and if we text her to let her know we have a package to go she'll drive in and get it. I still occasionally go just to get out.
Here basically the only places illegal to carry.
A school, with the exception of being in the car, its legal inside your vehicle holstered or otherwise. You can carry with written permission from the principle.
A 'courthouse' defined as somewhere court is actually in session, but it only pertains to that portion of the building. We can still go to the county clerk or to the drivers liscense girls. Or ther sheriffs dept.
and finally the aforementioned Post Office.
No Firearms signs on private property hold no criminal weight but if asked to leave you must or be considered trespassing. I disagree 100% with this. I usually CC so getting tossed out is unlikely. But to me the owner should have a say. If I don't want you on my property armed and you come on anyway, that's trespassing. I shouldn't have to ask you to leave before you get in trouble. The No Guns mean you are trespassing when you walk by it armed.
Anyway. I'm contemplating another full size semi... to get in ahead of the Clinton gun bans.

puros_bran":uvjz2wv4 said:
...I'm contemplating another  full size semi... to get in ahead of the Clinton gun bans.
Which will occur. Whatcha' contemplating? I've been satisfied with my Colt Commander since 1984, disregarding endless upgrades and tuning during the first few years of ownership. I figure it's now almost as good as a new Kimber, har! har!

[Note: this is not a thread hijack. The OP may take note for his use and edification these here posts. Or maybe not.]

Buds has some police trade in M&P 40 or M&P 9.
I had a M&P9c I traded away, so I'm familiar with the system and the grips and all that jive... I'd get the 9 for compatibility with the 92Fs, but I'd prefer the 40 just because it's Detroit PD marked. Getting the 40 would require getting dies and then catching a deal for brass and bullets at Sages Reloading.. In other words, the money I'd save on the deal would be spent on equipment, equipment that I already have for a 9.

Endless decisions unless you fixate on one gun, in my experience. But it's hard to go wrong with S&W. I have a snubby K that I never use, bought for <$250, now allegedly worth $1250 that has a (Peruvian!) police stamp on it. Kinda cool, both the unit and the appreciation.

I've got a M10 from back before they were M10s.. so everyone says "Oh a Victory model right? There's 1 million of those floating around". No pre-victory model, 1937 target sight, correct grips, light wear, shootable. To which I then get, "wow, I'd like to see that." So I know how you feel. Lol.

How many ways does it take to shoot a bullet?

What I am asking in a round about way is do we need all of these guns.
If I need to know the time I can use a watch, a phone, a microwave, pc, etc.
All of these devices will tell me the time and provide other services.
A gun can provide security and save lives as well as take lives.
If someone broke into our house I would rather have a gun that be able to tell them the time.
But maybe that someone was my wife or our son.
In some situations guns are of no use.
For example:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/14/olympic-swimmer-ryan-lochte-held-up-gunpoint-rio/88715436/

It's funny when you "I'm not anti-gun, but" type start up. Get off the fence, be a rabid, frothing at the mouth, anti-gunner. Or try a new technique, this ones boring.

I don't question your number of lighters, fire is dangerous. I don't question your number of pipes, smoking is very deadly. I don't question the number of knives in your home or on your possession, knifes are deadly.... You know why I don't question those things? Because they are inanimate objects. Having said that, I like guns, if I could have a thousand of them I'd want them, and they'd be no more, nor less dangerous than if I only had one.

Now the whole emotional knee jerk, "oh my gawd!!! Guns kill, that's all they are designed for, I hate them and the NRA and I'd punch a NRA member right square in the mouth" idiocracy, I've got no defense for that, because those kind of people don't do logic, they do emotion. All I can offer up is if law abiding gun owners were as dangerous as anti-gunners claim we are, Legal gun free Chicago would look like a safe haven, instead of the failed city it is.

Since when is "need" the standard?
Do I need 100 kilos of tobacco, 147 pipes and thousands of cigars?
Does anyone need a jet ski?  :roll:

Hey, watch out with that 100kilo... FDA will get you. Which is stupidity of the finest sort, it's not like they already have an alphabet, ATF, to deal with that most vile of weeds.