Be Careful on Ebay -- Bad Seller Alert!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4klutz

Reaction score
**Mods, if this is in the wrong area, please feel free to move.**

I have been shopping on ebay since 2004. I won a used lighter (nimrod commander) that was listed as working with a loose lid. I got the lighter and there was no spark. So, I put a flint in it and still no spark. Come to find out, the flint that was in it had decomposed due to humidity and age and basically cemented itself in the flint tube. 45 min later, with some elbow grease and ingenuity, I had the tube cleaned out and a new flint in place. Sparks! beautiful spark. Filled up the tank and she is working quite nicely.

My story doesn't end there. I always leave feedback, and in this case, left a neutral feedback with the following, "Lighter was not working. Was able to repair. Fair price."

I received the following threatening response from the seller, enjo189. (I substituted ** for swear words)

SHOULD OF SENT THE ************ BACK FOR A REFUND THE LIGHTER WORKED & HAS A LOOSE LID ADVERTISED RIGHT ****** ****** LIAR I WILL TRAVEL TO YOU.

Needless to say, I did report the seller to Ebay. But, fortunately, I am not worried, as I had the package sent to my work address. Just a warning to be careful who you deal with. I probably could have contacted the seller, but I liked the lighter, and I had gotten it to work. I did not want to return it. I felt that a neutral rating was valid.

Just be careful, and if you can, use a drop address rather than your home address.

:fpalm:

Found a seller that was wound up a l'il tight, eh? :lol:

8)

Not taking the sellers side but, the flint corroding is a very common thing
for lighters to do and it's usually fixed pretty easy. He might have had the lighter for sometime and never used it so put it up for sale without checking it, knowing it worked
the last time he used it.
Now as for his response, it was uncalled for not to mention highly crude and rude.
I will certainly put him on my Don't buy from List!. ;)

After look'en at his feedback it seems you not the first to have a problem with him either.

I have to agree with cartaphilus:  d4klutz received a good lighter that needed a bit of restoration.  Should be a reasonably easy fix, even for someone with "klutz" in his screen name.  I would have given the seller a positive rating and mentioned the problem in my comments.  Or at least, I would have not left feedback and told the seller why.

But the seller's response was not just out of line, the implied threat of violence was probably illegal most places.  I do hope E-Bay took appropriate action.

ebay's rating and review system is a complete effing joke. we all know it and are complicit.

it's idiocy.

kudos to you for an honest review. if the flint was toasted it should have said so in the listing - regardless of whether it's an easy or hard or whatever fix - and failure to list it as such warrants a neutral review given your three options on ebay.

doody.

Just to be clear. I am posting this to warn people of the dangers of buying via ebay and using their review system. Remember, these sellers get your HOME address. In my case, he has my work address which requires a badge to get in the building, so I am not worried. If a seller can threaten someone over a neutral review, he needs to be avoided. I would not want anyone here to have to deal with this guy because of his attitude. Also, ebay only allows for 80 characters, so reviews cannot be as detailed as needed.

As far as what you about the lighter, it was not in working condition as stated in the listing. Working (in my mind) means spark. It was obviously not tested before selling. I was unaware of the flint issues with these old lighters, and figured out the problem on my own. However, an attitude from a seller like this, in response to an honest review, is not only unprofessional, but can be dangerous to the buyer, not to mention getting the seller in a lot of legal hot water. It is best just to avoid hot-heads like this one. Anyone who looks at my ebay account (d4klutz) will see that I am a top notch seller and understand that what I buy is used and not perfect. However, I do expect listings to be accurate. I have, on several occasions, not paid attention to listings, and bought something that I thought was different, or in better condition. I completed the transaction and gave a good review, because it was 100% my fault for not reading correctly. In this case, the listing clearly stated that the lighter was working. I always double-check the listings before giving reviews.

I would have done the same JP. There really isn't much room for interpretation with the word "working." The sellers response was childish at best. I would probably ignore a neutral review, but after this there is nothing that would make me buy from the guy.
Your point about home adddres is food for thought!
Mike.

d4klutz":ehfldlvt said:
Just to be clear. I am posting this to warn people of the dangers of buying via ebay and using their review system.  Remember, these sellers get your HOME address.  In my case, he has my work address which requires a badge to get in the building, so I am not worried.  If a seller can threaten someone over a neutral review, he needs to be avoided.  I would not want anyone here to have to deal with this guy because of his attitude.  Also, ebay only allows for 80 characters, so reviews cannot be as detailed as needed.

As far as what you about the lighter, it was not in working condition as stated in the listing.  Working (in my mind) means spark.  It was obviously not tested before selling.  I was unaware of the flint issues with these old lighters, and figured out the problem on my own. However, an attitude from a seller like this, in response to an honest review, is not only unprofessional, but can be dangerous to the buyer, not to mention getting the seller in a lot of legal hot water.  It is best just to avoid hot-heads like this one.  Anyone who looks at my ebay account (d4klutz) will see that I am a top notch seller and understand that what I buy is used and not perfect.  However, I do expect listings to be accurate.  I have, on several occasions, not paid attention to listings, and bought something that I thought was different, or in better condition.  I completed the transaction and  gave a good review, because it was 100% my fault for not reading correctly.  In this case, the listing clearly stated that the lighter was working.  I always double-check the listings before giving reviews.
JP, I was in NO way saying you were wrong, I only tried to point out why he might have said it was working trying to give him the benefit of the doubt whether it right or wrong.
His response was certainly uncalled for which either suggests that he's a little thin skinned and or just a Arshole, either way not anyone I wish to do business with. A lot of eBay idiots have my address already and if they wish to confront me I'll be here waiting. ;)

I would love a seller to say that. I would invite him to fly on up here :twisted:

...I'm pretty tired of eBay's complicit attitudes towards those who have no issue in bending the rules...I understand the issue with lighters...I've bought several that were supposed to be working and they were far from it.

The issue with threats, masked or otherwise...well, I have no tolerance for that at all.

Cart,

I didn't take any offense at what was said. I was just clarifying. I didn't want this to be a thread about who did what wrong. I could have contacted the seller first, but there really was nothing he could do. I am happy with the lighter now that it is fixed. I didn't want to leave negative feedback, as there was none warranted (at the time). Now, that has changed with his response. However, I do hope that Ebay will keep a watch on his communications from now on.

Only a coward makes threats, that guy is clearly very childish and I wouldn't place any value in his threat being real, hell I've had folk on forums make threats at me, even had folk damming me to hell on forums, it's all just hot air, some of it can be hurtful when it comes from someone you like but that's just life, move on and pay it no further thought my friend.

Briar Spirit":3hivhu6z said:
Only a coward makes threats, that guy is clearly very childish and I wouldn't place any value in his threat being real, hell I've had folk on forums make threats at me, even had folk damming me to hell on forums, it's all just hot air, some of it can be hurtful when it comes from someone you like but that's just life, move on and pay it no further thought my friend.
You must play in some tough forums. :lol: :affraid:

Ebay rage! :roll:

Don't we all have enough things to worry about or be afraid of in our lives?

I've had a couple of less than wonderful experiences buying on Ebay, (Overpriced Dunhill that wasn't as described or pictured) but not worth fretting about.  I never thought of threatening the seller.

Natch

Ebay rage! :roll:

Don't we all have enough things to worry about or be afraid of in our lives?

I've had a couple of less than wonderful experiences buying on Ebay, (Overpriced Dunhill that wasn't as described or pictured) but not worth fretting about.  I never thought of threatening the seller.

Natch

I would agree with FishFly if the listing described it as "a good lighter in need of a flint and/or minor restoration." But it didn't :D If it's listed as "working with a loose lid" it damned well better work just dandy with the exception of having a loose lid. Any other problems that aren't listed (intentionally or unintentionally), no matter how minor, are worthy of a neutral/negative rating (depending on the particulars) in my book.

Most important thing in this thread? This:

herbinedave":ugvwgb9e said:
Caveat Emptor.