Beautiful Morta Cavalier from Mr. Chris Askwith

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo270r

Reaction score
These pics are long overdue, but here they are! Chris did one hell of a job, and I couldn't be happier! I don't have a good photo of it in the stand, but I'll have to put one up once I get the chance.
Cavalier-001.jpg

Cavalier-002.jpg

Cavalier-003.jpg

Cavalier-004.jpg

Cavalier-005.jpg

Cavalier-006.jpg

Cavalier-007.jpg

That's a really neat pipe! I think it's especially cool that the "grain" of the Brindle stem takes on the hazy quality that the morta grain has. The same kind of fuzzy blend between the colors that the wood has in it's texture.

I've become a real fan of Morta pipes yet I don't even own one yet.

That is one fascinating pipe. Let us know how she smokes. I've never smoked a morta or Cavalier style pipe.

Not sure how I missed this post but wow!!! That is an excellent pipe. I'm actually kind of pissed off that it's yours and not mine!!! Do me a favor and enjoy it! :cheers:

I've never seen a morta cavalier before!

Chris does excellent work. No doubt you'll get years of faithful service from this pipe. Congrats.

Thanks for all the kind words everybody! This was my first commission and Chris' first cavalier! Been way too busy with work and have been smoking cigars more than pipe lately, so I haven't had a chance to enjoy it, but soon I hope!

I missed this post too, but now I've seen it... that pipe is neat. I love the chunk of raw morta, too. :cheers:

So, is the point of the Cavalier's plug on the bottom to help in cleaning, is it a moisture trap, what gives? I'm not really familiar with those, never seen one up close, never seen the design in action.

8)

Kyle Weiss":yeeyh4e1 said:
I missed this post too, but now I've seen it... that pipe is neat. I love the chunk of raw morta, too. :cheers:

So, is the point of the Cavalier's plug on the bottom to help in cleaning, is it a moisture trap, what gives? I'm not really familiar with those, never seen one up close, never seen the design in action.

8)
Yes, it's a moisture trap, and the plug comes out for cleaning. I have an Il Ceppo cavalier that's the same type of design as Dunhill uses for theirs and it's a nice little smoker too. This one is also my first Morta too, so I'm very anxious to give it a go!

Thumbs up on that one, brother! That's the first cav I've seen that makes me me think I might want one.

Kyle Weiss":4p31ixsq said:
I play trombone from time to time. We call that a "spit valve". :p

All Chris's pipes are great - I've got two, neither of them commissions - but that one's a stunner! I want a Morta pipe one day, when I've got plenty of dosh to spare.

That really is a show stopper! I've always admired Chris's eye for design, especially his unique take on bulldogs. But this cavalier is also really stunning, and the fact that it has its own base to call home is also incredible, that pipe is really something to be proud of, enjoy it!