beautifully-packaged poop?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamtheWorldEater

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is Flavours by CAO over-glorified crap? It seems terribly undistinguished for the price they ask. I purchased a 50g tin of the Bella Vanilla, and certainly didnt taste any vanilla, didnt really taste much of anything, like cardboard. Am I missing something? Is it really that lousy, or did I maybe get a bad tin?

Aeromatics tend -- they say -- to be like that across the board.

You're far from the first who's noticed it.

:face:

Kyle Weiss":odbr6ddm said:
Yak":odbr6ddm said:
Aeromatics tend -- they say -- to be like that across the board.
Yeah, they don't fly with me, either. :p

8)
Heh, right on;) Its interesting though; since Ive gotten into pipe smoking seriously, the most loudly-packaged tobaccos seem to be the most mediocre, so far, at least. I guess Im just a Cavendish guy through and through. Its just that Im not familiar enough to know which labels put out the best blends; I usually just go with the black stuff in the jar at the tobacconist's. Every time I grab a tin, I hope for the best, but usually end up finding it lacking. Any suggestions on blends you think I may like would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

I was giving Yak some friendly guff, but...

...it's tough to suggest blends or mixtures to people. Aromatics are just aromatics--they add flavoring and they are what they are. Everything else relies on the mixing of tobacco to make flavors.

My suggestion? Head on over to a B&M store if you have one around, and go sample some stuff. That way, you can decide what you like.

There's a lot of good tobacco out there. There's also a lot of crap.

Good luck. 8)

Agreed with the sentiment about aromatics. I'm not a fan in general. The only one that I've ever tried and liked to even a small degree is Boswell's Berry Cobbler, which I keep on hand if I'm around a crowd who is objectionable to pipe smoke.

Personally I like a good aromatic, but tends towards light aromatics. That said, if you can, take Kyle's advice.

My top 2 aromatics from each of the top 3 best aromatic blenders:

4Noggins
Essence of Vermont
3 Blind Moose

Pipeworks and Wilke
Rum Cake

Boswell
PA Dutch Treat
Berry Cobbler

+1 to Carole over at Pipeworks & Wilke. The least goopy, highest quality aros I've tried.

The only aero that I have enjoyed is W.O. Larsen Signature. I suprised that it does not come up more in these discussions. Anyone else tried it?

loneredtree":jsehmau2 said:
The only aero that I have enjoyed is W.O. Larsen Signature. I suprised that it does not come up more in these discussions. Anyone else tried it?
Signature is good, as is Blue Note...but the aromatic essence in those blends is far more potent than anything I generally enjoy. Neither are bitey nor goopy, but the fruity note in these blends is to the point where it kinda bowls me over.

I just picked up a tin of Villager Mid-day which is sorta the same as my experience with Signature or Blue note. Quality tobacco, but so sweet that while at the beginning of the smoke I'm thinking "yum!" by mid smoke I'm starting to feel a bit nauseated.

Kyle Weiss":egjmhmin said:
+1 to Carole over at Pipeworks & Wilke. The least goopy, highest quality aros I've tried.
Which ones have you tried from P&W Kyle?

Hey, Hey Now!

That's enough bad-mouthing Aromatics here!

There are some good ones and some bad ones, but that can be said for nearly any style of pipe tobacco.

Don't make me break out the Sith Lightning! :twisted:

empore10.gif

Aside from the cheapy OTCs, American aros are the ones I like. I think the ones that consider to be "too much" are the fruity dutch ones.

Again, they're not bad quality, just..."whoa."

loneredtree":3bvbncbd said:
Yes, I bought a tin about three years ago. It was good quality tobacco from what I remember. I found it to be more sweet that I could handle. Just personal preference. Everyone else in the house enjoyed the aroma though.

FWIW I regularly smoke Lane 1Q and Captain Black White. If I'm not mistaken they're the number one selling bulk and packaged tobaccos respectively. To each his own.

Dave_In_Philly":oijv1rt3 said:
FWIW I regularly smoke Lane 1Q and Captain Black White. If I'm not mistaken they're the number one selling bulk and packaged tobaccos respectively. To each his own.
Same here, Dave. Only difference is that I smoke 1-Q and RLP-6 - which is the bulk version of CBW with no PG...