Beer that matches tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordTemplar

Reaction score
I enjoy a great deal of beers (ales, lagers, beer, etc) and I find that Miller Fortune works with C & D Burley Flake 2 and Briar Fox. Of course this missive will be changed when I drink more beers with my pipe. I am quite the afficiando when it comes to beers. I prefer European beers to American Small Batch.

I will not drink any Boston Lager, Blecch

I love beer, good micro brew stouts. Brewdudue is the one to talk to about pairing beer with a pipe. I would think that stouts go better with english blends more and ales with Va blends. However, that being said, it is a case by case basis too. I love dark beers, not big on lighter ones. To me, a milk stout goes well with pretty much any tobacco. I tend to drink coffee or plain tee while smoking as it cleanses the palate and brings out the flavor of the smoke. I think a dark beer does the same.

d4klutz":95tf03e2 said:
I love beer, good micro brew stouts.   Brewdudue is the one to talk to about pairing beer with a pipe.  I would think that stouts go better with english blends more and ales with Va blends.  However, that being said, it is a case by case basis too.  I love dark beers, not big on lighter ones.  To me, a milk stout goes well with pretty much any tobacco.  I tend to drink coffee or plain tee while smoking as it cleanses the palate and brings out the flavor of the smoke.  I think a dark beer does the same.
Frankly for me anyway, I find the pipe and beer to be mutually exclusive and to be enjoyed alone on their own merits. I've found that smoking while attempting to enjoy an adult beverage mutes the taste of the beverage. So I take them separately.

I seldom drink anything while smoking. If I do, it'll be water with no ice.

I hasten to add this is just my personal preference.  As always ymmv.

:) 

Cheers,

RR

I tend to be pretty serious when I first 'meet' a tobacco.  My family laugh at me when I ask them to sniff a tin if I am confused about what I am smelling. But after that I let myself relax and just enjoy the baccy without having to think too much about it.

The comfort factor with the pipe is important, and I think to let down your guard and just enjoy, is worth not being aware of every puff and every flavour component. Only my opinion of course.  :) 

I find malty brown ales (Old Hooky is a personal favourite) with a pipe to be an especially nice combination, especially in late summer at dusk.

Dark stouts seem to go well with everything as far as I'm concerned--lagers, not always. Any baccy seems to be enhanced by bourbon, though, and vice-versa. :pirat:

I seldom drink beer with a pipe. I like little tea, ice water or perhaps a cold sparkling water with my pipe. (And I love a good beer). But I agree with great Brewdude, taste them separately.

Now if i had to report a beer/tobacco pairing that I thought was actually pretty darn good, I'd have to say any richer Latakia blend with North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. That said though, I'd still much rather enjoy them separately and opt for coffee or tea with a blend like that instead. After all that's one hell of a complex beer. it's practically a meal by itself.

I love drinking beer, and I love smoking my pipe, so I often do the two at the same time, but I think if we're honest about it, beer is not an ideal pairing for tobacco. The alcohol cannot help but worsen tongue bite and dull the taste buds.

Won't stop me from but sitting on my deck this evening with a bottle of Saranac Legacy IPA and bowl of Hal o the Wynd, but YMMV.

I doubt the 5% ABV or so in beer is going to do anything nasty to your mouth or contribute to tongue bite.

I think there is something to the argument that tobacco and spirits have a synergistic thing happening with regard to mouth cancers. But spirits can have more than 10 times the alcohol of beer.

Other than that, anything that flushes the mouth and clears the palate has to be a health and tasting plus. It's not like one is puffing and drinking at the same time after all, so I don't get why people are saying one would prevent you tasting the other. I understand this with wines, that persist in the mouth, but beers? If this argument were taken to its conclusion we would only ever have one ingredient on our dinner plates and we would have it with water.