Before...After...Now

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozjo33

Reaction score
About a month ago, I posted a thread displaying my unbelievable stupidity that resulted in my favorite pipe (Bead Blasted Brandy) being broken. I contacted the maker of the pipe Abe Herbaugh (Herbaugh Pipes) who said he could try to repair it.

I got to tell you, Abe knocked this repair job out of the park! You have to look incredibly close to see any signs of repair. Abe went as far as re-blasting the repaired area and re-staining the pipe. The only difference in the pipe is the overall weight due to the addition some tubing used to repair the shank. Thanks to Abe, my favorite pipe is back at home!

Before

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

After

DSCN6156.jpg

DSCN6154.jpg

DSCN6150.jpg

Now

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

That is a SF Giants like home-run repair! Abe sure makes some beautiful pipes, so I'm not surprised he can do a repair as well.

Aha! Cool, you got it fixed! :cheers:

Nice job, Abe. Moz, now that you've learned your lesson... :evil: ...no more breaking your nice pipes! :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":ehaqepqc said:
Aha! Cool, you got it fixed! :cheers:

Nice job, Abe. Moz, now that you've learned your lesson... :evil: ...no more breaking your nice pipes! :lol:

8)
Yes sirrrrrr... :roll:

Great job! :cheers: :cheers:

Fraternally

Jers

I am just having a hard time understanding something

Why is their dark on the inside of the cracked shank? When a shank breaks off you should see where the stain penetrated, and then light briar. Yours looks darkened at the top almost into the airhole. I am wondering if there was a hairline crack there to begin with that the stain seeped into. And when you dropped it, it broke with the force.

rev

looking more closely it seems it might be right into the airhole and maybe it is smoke stain?

rev

the rev":g2g94dv9 said:
looking more closely it seems it might be right into the airhole and maybe it is smoke stain?

rev
Hey Rev.

The break was caused by studpidity of resting it against a golf cart wheel and my friend not knowing it was there.

Also, I smoked the hell out of it - not sure if that caused the discoloration, but it never gave me any problems.

yeah, that is a way to break a pipe :)

I guess it makes sense that the wood wood color right there, forget I said anything :)

I wasn't suggesting any thing untoward that is for sure.

rev

the rev":qodxyt0q said:
yeah, that is a way to break a pipe :)

I guess it makes sense that the wood wood color right there, forget I said anything :)

I wasn't suggesting any thing untoward that is for sure.

rev
No worries! :cheers:

Damn, Moz ... when you break 'em, you break 'em good.

Glad it worked out for you.

That is a great repair job, bringing a cherished pipe back into service! Kudos Abe!

Great looker and great repair. Looking at what the rev said about stain seepage, I see a light virgin area just under the shank outer surface. There may have been a fissure inside the shank junction which opened into the air draft.

hp
les