Beginner Briar Brother

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you soo much everyone ...your advice and knowledge has helped me alot. I especially welcome the "new" Briar Brothers input as well, as they are expieriencing the same trials and tribulations that every new (BBro's) pipe smokers go through. For the seasoned BBro's.. your wisdom is legendary :)
As a new pipe smoker.. i'm still getting used to packing a pipe. I have learned to slow down my cadence/puffing since I started smoking a pipe (a couple of weeks), but I still get a slight tongue bite (I use biotene). I have tried various methods, frank, 3 step (various versions). Which is the best way to consistently pack a pipe and avoid tongue burn.? Should there be some resistance when pulling/drawing through the pipe when it is not lit or should there be a "whooshing air sound??? What are some good ways to break in a pipe? I really enjoy smoking a pipe but it is becoming fustrating as a new Briar Brother!!

There are various methods advocated to break in a pipe. By the true believers there is their way and no other. They even warn that if you don't use their method your pipe won't break in correctly and won't smoke as well.

But for me it's simple. Smoke a blend with which you are familiar in the new pipe. Notice how it is or isn't true to taste when you smoke it. Keep smoking it until it tastes good, as many bowls as you want in any particular day.

Once your test tobacco tastes right, rest the pipe for a week or more.

Frog Morton":1zu0lez8 said:
I really enjoy smoking a pipe but it is becoming fustrating as a new Briar Brother!!
No other Brother will benefit more the relaxing and meditative effects of the pipe than you at this point, my friend. :lol: Provided you don't implode trying to get there. :p

We're pullin' for ya. 8)

What are some of the best "bent clencher Pipes"? I am a new brair brother and getting used to the whole smoking process(tobacco,packing,cadence.etc) but I seem to prefer "clenching" a bent pipe in my mouth and "breath smoking technique" (seems to work well for me so far)instead of holding the pipe. I find that the pipe burns better,cooler and is more flavorful,,what does everyone else think? I have numerous pipes for a beginner, such as:

Peterson Flame grain 68 (my first pipe :)
Peterson Killarney (338) (P-Lip)
Peterson: Sherlock Holmes Smooth Brown Baskerville Fishtail
Peterson: Aran (B5) Fishtail
Savinelli Sandblasted "Collection 1999" (6mm)
Savinelli: Hercules Rusticated (320 EX) (smoke is hotter with balkan blends,..why is that?)
Savinelli Hercules Smooth (604 EX)

I really enjoy the Savinelli Hercules Smooth (604 EX) (OOM Paul) ,it is very comfortable in the mouth,smokes cool and has a large bowl..it is a little heavy, but is comfortable in the mouth. I am looking to add more pipes to my collection that are light in weight bent pipes (clenchers)..top 5 pipes??..I welcome all suggestions,tips,and recommendations???

Pipe smoking is like welding a straight bead. It's intimidating at first. You can't get it right at first. It pisses you off. You get stingers all over your shirt. Your wife yells it stinks. Then suddenly, one day, it all comes together and you wonder why the hell you struggled with it in the first place.

Howdy Frog,
I am sort of new as well, but I do have a few Petes and others.
My Pete 317 with P-Lip seems to clench real nice , and its light. It has a small bowl, so its sort of a quick smoke pipe, which i also like about it.
My Pete spigot has a fishtail, and it really clenches nice. For me , it is my favorite as far as clenching. So, if all of Petes fishtails are the same, I like them the best.

I was going crazy , like you, trying to figure rotation / tobacco's etc.
Finally, After receiving a whole lot of samples, (that I put in little wide mouth mason jars) I hit a point where I calmed down, and smoked what I "felt" like smoking.I still have samples to try, but I am in no hurry all of a sudden.
You will too. :D
Go crazy, try em all, store them well, and you'll gradually start grabbing the ones that suit you for the moment.

My family thought I was nuts for awhile there, as I couldnt decide which tobacco to air dry for my next bowl :D I was worse than a teen girl figuring out what to wear.
But , It was fun. :D Sort of :roll: