Beginner's Latakia Luck

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herzl

Reaction score
While I was in college, I got a job working in the local bookstore. Because cookbooks had the highest rate of pilferage, they were moved by the cash register. I started reading them while waiting for customers to come for checkout and found them similar to chemistry formulas and thus began my journey to becoming a gourmet cook.

Some years later, I bought an Herb and Spice Cookbook. The premise of the book was that by familiarizing yourself with the character of individual spices and herbs, the student can recognize them and appreciate their interactions in various proportions. The student develops a vocabulary of tastes.

I decided to apply this approach to my understanding of pipe tobacco blends, and acquired components and started to plan some blending.

When I got Kendal Mix substituted for Kendal Kentucky with an order, aside from my chagrin that the vendor chose to make this substitution without my agreement, I found it something I could smoke, but not something I would buy of my own volition. I decided it would be an expendable base for experiments. I mixed it with Latakia, Perique, and Turkish, then more Latakia after I didn't like the first version so much, and put it under 290lbs of pressure for a month, and made a cake. Yes, I could have been more patient.

I really like the result. It is lesser, but not weak in nicotine, clearly one of my pet issues. Tastes great, and filling. More than anything, I've jumped into the blending water, and found that it's 'no big deal.' I've also discovered that I like Latakia, and am starting to 'get it' that a fullness of taste can be very satisfying even without my usual 1792 level of nicotine. I have no doubt that there is better out there from professionals. For sure, mine is better than the Latakia versions I've purchased locally. I definitely want to find a commercial Latakia, Oriental mixture, that still delivers on the nicotine within reason.

Will someone please compare Robusto, Odyssey, Charing Cross, Maltese Falcon, and any others that come to mind with some suggestion of priority of acquisition to try?

Herzl":jv5yrf1t said:
Will someone please compare Robusto, Odyssey, Charing Cross, Maltese Falcon, and any others that come to mind with some suggestion of priority of acquisition to try?
Out of those, I've only had two: Robusto and Maltese Falcon. They are both must-trys IMHO. I'm not good at reviews and descriptions, so not sure how much help I can be.

Robusto is a nice blend if you like cigars because it has a full-bodied taste that satisfys my cigar thirst, if that makes sense. Honestly, I found it a little espensive and went with Habana Daydream which is available in bulk. I like Habana Daydream, but to me it is no substitute for Robusto.

Maltese Falcon is just plain often. It's not exactly like Dunhill 965, but if you like that blend, you will like Maltese Falcon. I don't have any open or I would send you some to try.

I would certainly reccomend these two highly. BTW, the other blends you mentioned are on my try list.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

I have some 412A: Billy Budd in the 'cellar' waiting for some time. I read something that I should leave it alone for at least a year, but it didn't set my pants on fire on it's way there.

Other than that, the local versions I've tried, and one other I flat out dislike as I've said before, my Latakia experience had been limited and unimpressive. I didn't realize how nice a Latakia blend could be. I'll order both with my next order.

Thanks again.

GLP Abingdon and Blackpoint come to mind immediately. Dan Tobacco: Bill Bailey's Balkan also comes to mind, as does SG Commonwealth Mixture, all are robust mixtures.

Have you tried any of the Stokkebye blends? Like Proper English, Oriental Supreme, Balkan Supreme? They are great and moderately priced.

I really like Pirate Kake as well by CD and it is my go-to latakia blend. Also, I just got one called Plum Pudding that's pretty good.

Guess I'm not helping, just adding to the list.

I haven't tried any of those. I'll have to add them to the list. Thanks. Looks like I have some work cut out.

Of the ones listed, any comments on differences?

I am smoking Maltese at this very moment. I really enjoy this smoke, however, I can't smoke it more than one time per day because of the high amount of nicotine (at least high for me). To me it has a wonderful flavor, with only what I can describe as a good low end. Nothing 'bright' about it.

Good luck
Cheers,
Joshua

Herzl":4tre4eu6 said:
I haven't tried any of those. I'll have to add them to the list. Thanks. Looks like I have some work cut out.

Of the ones listed, any comments on differences?
Of the ones I mentioned, Abingdon is probably the 'Odyssey' of the 'Classic' line up, certainly the 'strongest'. Blackpoint is far more subtle and a little 'less strong' than Charing Cross, but the Perique in the dosage administered is absolutely stunning!

Commonwealth Mixture is probably 'borderline' when one thinks of 'English' formulations being that it is Steamed Virginia (of African origins IIRC) and Latakia in a 50/50 presentation. It is a very velvet-like and medium to heavy bodied mixture which I find intoxicating when in the mood for it.

Bill Bailey's Balkan on the other hand tastes pretty 'strong' initially but mellows quickly. Some question the use of Kentucky Burley in it but I find that it adds a good deal of body and depth of flavor, intensifying the smokey qualities of the Latakia without contributing to the harshness or bitterness thereof.

Of the ones mentioned in this thread my personal favorites would be Blackpoint and Fairmorn's Proper English both very simular in taste IMHO and are some of my everyday English Blends. A little stronger would be the Pirate Kake and Fairmorn's Balkan Supreme who I believe Texas Outlaw got me smoking. Another blend that I received from the Secret Santa last year was Seattle Pipe Club's Plumb Pudding which is also a very good blend IMHO. I ended up buying a 8 ounce tin.

Another one of my favorites. I started smoking Lancers Slices when it was getting near impossible to purchase Old Ironsides. It is a very coarse ground flake tobacco that IMHO is very smoky/rich tasting. If you like a strong Latakia blend then I would also recommend it. Probably medium as far as the nicotine hit goes. I would say you could probably put it in the same category as Pirate Cake but others could differ from that opinion. All of Charles Fairmorn's Latakia blends IMHO you can't go wrong. Plus you can't beat their prices for bulk.

Mike, did you mean Stokkebye Proper English, or does Fairmoon have one called Proper English as well. Let me know as I am becoming a big Fairmoon fan. For the price, bud order all three, black bayou mist, lancers slices, and Sterling Balkan.

My bad, you are right it is Stokkebye's Proper English. The Fairmorn English blends that I have had and like are the Lancers Slices as stated above, Black Bayou (Mist) a good English blend with a hint of Perique and Orientals, and the Sterling Balkan. The other "Stokkebye" English blend that I have had and enjoy is their Balkan Supreme. All great bulk blends IMHO and all at a good price.