Beloved Growley ZULU

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwmidia

Reaction score
A week before I wandered in this forum and opened a link:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17295-growley-zulu-for-sale-sold

It captured me at the very first moment, I could't help but wondering: who is Brian? Never heard of. Yet the pipe stands for itself, horn-like cross-grain accompanied with gorgeous birdseye and amber stem, thoroughly polished leave no straight line at all, just so ZULU.

Today the pipe arrived, I'm so happy with it. Everything in the box and in the bowl is promising, the handwriting from Brian is yet another surprise, what a pleasure to read. Even more pleasure is the feel of the pipe, obviously, he is very good with camera, but the actual thing is so beyond my words.
And more, I can see that Brian really know a lot about what smoking is about, the easy-to-clean airway, the comfort biting (even with acrylic), the feather-weight and perfect balance in mouth. What a WOW! I tried two bowls of frog morton, effortless breath, only very slight bitterness, very enjoyable even without break-in.

We had some nice talk through in-site message and email, and I really have problem to decide which better: the guy or his pipe.

with Brian's courteous permission:

I'm expecting Brian's second Eskidesian in the mail any day now, I can't wait.

I can tell from just the pictures that the man knows what he's doing.

That Zulu was almost snatched up by me, but alas, finances had other plans. As I said, I already have one of his pipes coming anyway.

Hats off yet again to Brian and you as well! Fine taste.

I love a satisfied customer! Way to go member Growley and contrats wwmidia!

Rusty Mouse":jo3qkno9 said:
I'm expecting Brian's second Eskidesian in the mail any day now, I can't wait.

I can tell from just the pictures that the man knows what he's doing.

That Zulu was almost snatched up by me, but alas, finances had other plans. As I said, I already have one of his pipes coming anyway.

Hats off yet again to Brian and you as well! Fine taste.
Thanks, I'm lucky to get a quick hand. I particularly appreciate the touch on the inward rim. Would you mind to tell which one did you bought?

riff raff":jo3qkno9 said:
I love a satisfied customer! Way to go member Growley and contrats wwmidia!
And I love to be a satisfied customer. :albino:
Indeed, I believe pipe is one of the rare genres today that truly make customer happy and satisfied, there is no trick, only solid material and tons of artistic, hard work, buying pipe is something that never make you regret.

What a lovely tamper as well, to accept the pipe. I saw that on SmokingPipes.com, a beautiful item.

This puppy right here. I'll be keeping an ear out for the postman, I sure hope it comes today.

Nice score with that pipe, I also love that tamper...its awesome!!

Best of luck with your new addition.

Thanks to all of you. I'm a relatively new one in pipe world, so I found what Neill said in the last blog entry exactly explained why I am so happy with Growley pipe:

There were quite a few wearing t-shirts emblazoned with “The Order of Collegiate Pipe Smokers.” If I were their age – oh, how I wish I were – I’d find myself a hot young artisan and ride the wave up with that person. There’s nothing like championing your friends while jump-starting your own collection.

I suppose 31 is still young enough to see the success of Brian's future and feel great for being part of it.

wwmidia":wfzp4n8w said:
I suppose 31 is still young enough to see the success of Brian's future and feel great for being part of it.
I certainly think so. Only 4 or 5 years ago people were talking about Jeff Gracik being an unusually young guy to be making pipes and making them well. There seems to have been an explosion of young pipe makers since then so you've got a fine array to choose from. In my personal opinion, Growley is a an excellent choice. ;)

Great work Brian and congratulations wwmidia!