Ben Wade guidelines/intel

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Behike54

Reaction score
I know I am in the midst of PAD, but I need the pipe and some intel. :D

A guy came into the shop yesterday and had a Ben Wade freehand. IN THE ORIGINAL box. The stem stamp and insignia on bowl matched.

It was a Dublinesque free-hand that had the darkest and most beautiful flame grain that led to the top, which was rusticated and PURPOSELY not perfectly level. Finally, the sides slightly crimped in. Guys, the thing is 25-30 years old and he hasn't smoked in it in 20. WTH? He says he can't bring himself to smoke out if it. I guess he brought it in to show it to people.

I was in awe of this pipe. Probably the first premium pipe I have seen up close and in real life.

Anyway, I tried to play it cool. He paid $90 bucks for it. The guy smokes dog rocket cigars and I can only imagine the pipe tobacco he USED to smoke out of it.....but right now the pipe smells like nothing. NO SMELL, minimal cake; matter of fact, looked mostly charred than cake and in mint condition.

I want to make him an offer he can't refuse but don't want to overpay or rip him off, ya know? This is a nice guy and someone I will see with regularity.

I looked at some of the NICEST freehands on SPs.com and they range from 130-190, most in the 150 range.

Help a brother out.

I will try to take some pics when I see him on Thurs or Fri, but I need some intel before then.

Finally, what would it cost to refurbish something like that, or is that a non-issue?

Simple Man":ogpqt6pj said:
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/pipe_restoration.html

Full pipe restoration... $35.00

I'd offer whatever I felt comfortable with... if it's something you need, only you know what you'd be willing to spend. The fact that he told you what he paid for it would be a good starting place... without seeing it, if I wanted it I would probably be thinking the $90 he paid plus 50% on top making it around $135. ???
Sound advice! If it's as old as you say, it would be worth that or more. If it's been smoked as little as you say and I purchased it, I'd only clean the bit, ream the cake if needed and load that puppy up with my fave blend and light 'er up!! Sounds like something worth pursuing :p

Judging by the age of the pipe and your description, this pipe is most likely a Danish handmade from the Preben Holm factory.

Lane imported these pipes from the mid 1970's to 1989. They were well made and usually smoked very well.

A few years back, both the Preben Holm and Ben Wades had somewhat of a
revival with collectors and prices between $200 and $400 were common.

Unless the pipe is in really bad condition, $90 is an extremely fair price.

Mike Brissett

I'd offer him whatever you felt comfortable with. Probably a bit less than he paid, though.

Also, just so you know, that Quagliata that you have now is a high end artisan pipe and absolutely blows any Ben Wade you'll ever see out of the water in terms of design, quality, and smokeability. Not only have you seen a premium pipe up close and personal, you own one! :)

pipemaker":uaaxicmp said:
A few years back, both the Preben Holm and Ben Wades had somewhat of a
revival with collectors and prices between $200 and $400 were common.

Unless the pipe is in really bad condition, $90 is an extremely fair price.

Mike Brissett
Mike, he PAID $90 30 years ago, but that seems strange given what I know of him.

Dave, good point about the Quagliata.

Is it cool to ask to smoke it first?