Bent or Straight...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
I'm about to make the next pipe purchase and was all set to make a move on a straight, but got to thinking about how much I love my bent pipes. They just seem to fit better, feel better, and look better (to me). But, that being said I have some bents that don't smoke as well as others.

Anyway, just wondering what some of you guys like...
Straight? Full bent? Quarter bent? Etc, etc...

Had'nt really thought about it, but out of 101 pipes I only have 4 FULL BENT ( I don't count the 20 or so 1/8 the bent Bulldogs/Rhodies as BENT pipes ) Besides I'm straight :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have been digging straights lately. Helps me curb my tendency towards clenching. 1/4 to 1/2 bents I like as well. Full bent? No.

My profile says I'm a "bent kinda guy". So most of mine are to some degree.

Interestingly, I've recently had some great experiences with some straight stem 'dogs. The first, a  Hardcastle and the other a Hillshead (both estates), and while the clenching/feel in the hand is somewhat different I have to admit I quite like them.

So maybe you can indeed teach an old dog new tricks after all!

;)

Cheers,

RR

I like the looks of bents more but generally smoke my straights more.

My favorite shape is the Horn, but a straight well executed Billiard is hard to beat.

I love a 1/4 bent pipe! The way they sit and look feels great. But the more I smoke, the more I'm looking for a great smoking pipe above all else!

I prefer bent, but won't pass up a straight that catches my eye. I go more for the shape of the bowl. I love the freehands.

When I was much younger, I wouldn't have been caught dead with a bent. I associated them with either old guys or oddballs. Straight billiards or bulldogs all the way, all the time. I mean, what would Errol Flynn* smoke? As I, ah, mature, I seem to prefer bents when sitting on my butt as I am now. I still prefer straights when "out." Tastes change; I chalk it up to getting old and odd.

(*Errol Flynn, for those born yesterday, was an actor of some repute. Yes, he was before my time, too--but he would have been a dashing devil in any age!)

flynn10.jpg
[/url][/img]

I guess I pretty much love 'em all but do want a few more straight classic shapes in my lineup. Most of what I have are bent to some degree. The Oom Paul full bent shape is one that doesn't do much for me.

Maybe when I'm as old as some of the real codgers here I'll go that way.
:lol!:

j/k of course, I doubt I'll ever appreciate that shape.

:lol:

I have both types, straight and bent, the shape I find most pleasing is this:

002-015-2344.jpg

yet this particular straight Bully really captures my heart

002-015-0401.jpg

Probably one determining factor in stem shape is 'do you clench or hold" -- larger straight pipes just don't work well for a clencher/steady puffer like me (or at least I find that so, ymmv)

I don't really have preference, I like them both equally. For me it is more about the weight. I don't care for heavy pipes. I try to stay below 2oz, but if the pipe is bent I can got a bit bigger.

I always look at bents but end up with straights. I also prefer smaller, lighter pipes so I don't need a jawhanger for comfort.

My English dedicated pipes are all straight (with exception of two) - All my aromatic dedicated pipes are full bend and my Virginia pipes are a mix of both straight and bent.

For the most part I prefer bent pipes. Bulldog being my favorite, but I am open to others. I do like the look of the straight billard and had a peterson rosslare in the past.