Bent-pipe Gurgle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK_Pipe

Reaction score
I hope that every has enjoyed at least one New Year's Pipe today :)

I'm re-evaluating my love for straight stem pipes and would like some input.

I like the straight stems since they tend to smoke well and not gurgle, as well as the fact that they seem to fit "me" well.

But, the bents just sit so nicely without needing to hang onto them, or chomp too hard. I have one Peterson System that smokes well, but all of my other bents smoke with a gurgle that is, eh, annoying.

Is it pipe quality? Should I buy a better quality bent (my currents are Petersons)...

Or, should I get another system pipe?

I appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks!

ADK

All my pipes are bent, full bent at that. Some seem to get a gurgle from time to time. When it happens I just put my thumb over the bowl and give her a little sling and out come the moisture and no more gurgle. Whats good about the petersons is you can remove the stem while hot and remove the moisture.

There is no reason that a well drilled full or 3/4 bent can't smoke dry as a bone. I have many bents that smoke with no gurgle at all. Wet smoking pipes get shown the door at my house. While technique and moist tobacco contribute to this, the biggest factor is poor drilling. IMO.

The tobacco I smoke is a blend and usually moist. I have to let it dry some to get the perfect smoke. Humidity in the air can contribute as well. Petersons and savinellis have been around for a long time. Thats why most of your bent pipes like Peterson have a well. This is a issue that has been around as long as the pipes.

Because of how a bent pipe goes together, if it isn't done with some care, the result can be a pipe that is prone to gurgling for sure. This more often occurs as moisture gathers at the tip of the tenon.

A well built pipe just won't have that issue, and there's no reason that a good bent pipe won't smoke as well as a straight pipe.

I had my first does of "pipe juice" in about 5 years the other day. It came out of a 50 dollar ebay pipe. Bent. I had forgotten how foul it is because the pipes I choose to keep and use simply don't do that kind of thing.

Savinelli does a good job with most of their bent pipes. They may not pass a cleaner but they smoke issue-free in my experience.

Or up the game a bit and get a competent artisan to make you a pipe.

Thanks for the information, guys...

I am fascinated to know that a well drilled pipe can solve the gurgle problem... I do like a few aromatics, and I do let them dry a bit before smoking. I think it's a cheap bent pipe problem.

Plumbernater: Man, I've never heard of the sling method --- but I might employ that tactic on one of my gurgling Peterson bents! (It was one of my first pipes, so I have to keep that one!)

I'm not opposed to spending a bit more on a well made pipe, but I've had this fear that it might not be money well spent for a gurgling bent pipe! I've spent too long smoking straights :)

I'll keep my eyes open!

Thanks again!

ADK

ALL of my pipes used to gurgle. Now none of them do.
I take it to mean that I finally got to really know my pipes, my smoking style, and my blend.

Harlock999":9y3xelm3 said:
I take it to mean that I finally got to really know my pipes, my smoking style, and my blend.

Yeah, this is what I'm shooting for, as well. All my pipes are bent, to some degree. And while my tobak is drier than I think it needs to be, and I pack my bowl looser than I think I should, since I smoke such a variety of tobak it happens. I've always got cleaners nearby, so I swab as needed to keep the pipe clean and dry.

I know I'm my own worst enemy, switching between blends so frequently, but I do believe my good techniques have cut done on the occurrences and will continue to help in the future.

Technique is critical - a good pipe can't make up for a bad smoker.

But, even the best smoker won't have success with a bad pipe.

Add a good, practiced smoker to a good quality pipe, and bingo - no mess.

Harlock999":co4y2joj said:
It's really a relationship that's unique between the person and each pipe, ain't it? All of my pipes spare one, that I assume is due to bad engineering, smoke dry now, as well. I was at about a 50/50 ratio since I first started back up, but there's pipes that are simply more forgiving to ig'nunt newbies like I was.

The one thing that thwarts me is the rogue piece of tobacco that, once in a blue moon, sneaks just right in the airway at the heel, and causes all sorts of moisture to build up. Just takes a quick poke of a pipe cleaner, and vwah-lah.

8)