Bent vs. Oom - How to classify?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm wondering at what point you would classify a bent pipe as a Oom? I have been interested in bents as of late and I'm trying to rap my head around at what point an extremely bent pipe becomes a Oom? Is it only classified as an Oom if its a billiard?

Thanks in advance.

Traditional "Oom Paul" pipes are named after Paulus Kruger, who was a fan of great chunky 90 degree bents. If you see these South African relics, they are really quite pronounced in the bowl and shank - utterly lacking grace! So I would suggest that this is your true Oom Paul - 90 degrees bent, or awfully close, with an obvioiusly bottom/front-heavy presentation.

Present incarnations are few - Castello's 97 shape and Dunhill's "Hungarian" are pretty close, but they are built at about 70 degrees (making pipes with shank parallel to the bowl is really tough - it's very difficult to make them smoke well).

The ool-paul is the most bent of all pipes: the mouthpiece becomes ALMOST parallel to the bowl wall.

L-oom%20paul.jpg

A full bent is not the same as an oom:

0000003038_blackcoral4.gif

The shank is a lot bent, but not close to parallel with the bowl wall.