best $50-$80 pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnylaw13

Reaction score
i know this is a vague question for which i will get different answers but im looking for this to be from P&C since im looking to place a larger order from them, im not going to be picky about shape or color, just looking for something that i shouldnt have to worry about bad drills and such. thank you all for any help and suggestions

I was looking at mostly stanwells and savs but there are like 4 different model lines in that price range for each maker, is there one line to stay away from?

I've got two Savinelli Romas, an apple (which I'm smoking right now, as it happens) and a prince. The Roma series is at the upper end of your range. The two I have are very good pipes, though the prince, which I bought recently, has a rather cheap-feeling acrylic stem as opposed to the vulcanite stem on the older apple. It's still a very good smoker, though--Virginia flakes just sing in it.

I've only bought one Peterson new and swore I'd never buy another because of the horrible taste from the bowl stain that took months to smoke through--and it's a Sherlock Holmes, not one of the cheaper lines. It smokes fine now, but any Petersons I buy in the future will be estates.

Two of the three Stanwells I have are fine smokers, but I'd trade either of them pretty readily for a Savinelli. The third is a Hans Christian Andersen that I don't smoke often because it's thin-walled and tends to get very hot.

I bought a Bjarne Viking Sandblast recently which has turned into a pretty good little smoker. This series is on the low end of your price range.

Hope this helps.  :)

DrT999":e9nfj8ny said:
I like Brigham myself
That's what I was just thinking, for the price range. Don't think you'll find many Savs, Pete's, or Stannys in that price range.

Frankly Jonny, I feel you'd be better off with choosing one of the fine restored estates from brother Mattia at Viking Club Pipes. He's got a good few right now in this price range, and they've all been cleaned and expertly refurbished. Plus they're already broken in. Win-Win!

Many of us here including myself, have availed ourselves of Nathan's estates and he comes highly recommended. Check him out-

http://www.vikingclubpipes.com/

Cheers,

RR

Cartaphilus":rs1cvj40 said:
Stanwell, Peterson or Savinelli
I was going to say this (though not in that order) but I used your criteria and went to the P & C site.  They have their pipes listed, in one place, by price range.  I actually think I would choose the Bjarne Viking.  They have a host of shapes, all in that range.  I base this on one I got from Simple Man a year or so ago.  I can't say anything negative about it except that I have only used it for aromatics so far and probably forever, but it smokes quite well and has a good build quality.  Otherwise, my pick would be Savinelli.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions on this page.  As far as lines to stay away from, there are none that I'm aware of, if you're just wanting a decent smoke.  Getting straight grain, bird's eye, no bald spots, and no fills is another matter.

Richard Burley":lugu7dhd said:
Cartaphilus":lugu7dhd said:
Stanwell, Peterson or Savinelli
I was going to say this (though not in that order) but I used your criteria and went to the P & C site.  They have their pipes listed, in one place, by price range.  I actually think I would choose the Bjarne Viking.  They have a host of shapes, all in that range.  I base this on one I got from Simple Man a year or so ago.  I can't say anything negative about it except that I have only used it for aromatics so far and probably forever, but it smokes quite well and has a good build quality.  Otherwise, my pick would be Savinelli.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions on this page.  
I have two of the Vikings, an apple and a rhodesian (copenhagen light and houston light I believe) and they both smoke nicely, but in both cases the varnish has bubbled a bit. Granted, I might smoke a bit on the hot side of many, but that's only happened to me with Vikings and Grabows

jonnylaw13":b4tcwjmi said:
I was looking at mostly stanwells and savs but there are like 4 different model lines in that price range for each maker, is there one line to stay away from?
I have several Sav's and Stanwells from ALL levels of their model ranges and cannot say that I've smoked a bad one and I've bought them all new over 40 a year range of time. "Fraid Peterson's has moved price wise out of the range your looking at but they are equal to the other two firms IMHO. At the price point you mentioned you WILL get a pipe with fills in it so if that bothers you, get a blasted or rusticated finish as these won't show as time goes on and they are smoked. It's never bothered me so I would DEFINATELY purchase ANY of the models either firm makes.

Quite the lot of help here but it seems the consensus is a Sav or a Stan, I did look at the brighams and I sort of likes the Algonquin apple. Was also looking at a Nording Valhalla 200, but searching here I have found a decent bit of bad news on Nording (mass produced) and Bjarne Vikings. I think its coming down to even with only 2 or 3 brands that are best there are still WAY to many options between shape/finish and production lines. Stock photos aren't very helpful either!

Check the Rossi pipes. They're at the high end of your target range. Rossi was owned by Stanwell, and most of the Rossi shapes duplicate the Stans. I've read positive things about them, though I don't own one.

But let me go a bit afield -- Check Pipeworks and Wilke's estate pipes. Carole Burns does a very nice job of refurbing them and the prices she puts on "second tier" estate pipes are very reasonable. She has one tab on the site for Ehrlich pipes, and I don't think any of them are over $70. I don't think you could go wrong on these.

Once Carole had on her site an Aldo Velani billiard with a diamond shank and attractive grain for, I think, $85. It was the first pipe pictured in her estate collection. It just sat there for months. It grew on me, and I finally ordered it. It arrived looking brand new, has a nice open draw, and smokes dry and sweet. All it lacks is a white dot and a "London England" stamping.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

I've never had a bad smoking Stanwell. Not much I can say about New Peterson's because all mine are estates. Savinelli's everyone seems to like except me, although I have a 320 Trevi that smokes very well out of the 5 Sav's I've had in the past. My only complaint about Sav's was the draw was way too open leading to a no taste smoke. BJarne is also a good pipe but, there Viking line is of lower quality and I've only heard some things of those.
I think your best bet is to pick a well know brand name and go with it. In time you'll find a maker or two that really pleases you. What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander, to each his own, just like tobaccos I think. And remember sometimes it's the tobacco that makes the difference, some pipes do better with different tobaccos etc.
I think one of the most important things besides quality is to look for in a pipe is, does it appeal to you? If you buy a pipe you don't like the looks of it doesn't matter who made it, I don't think you'll enjoy smoking it that much. I don't care if I had a Castello, if it was a straight billiard I wouldn't enjoy smoking it as much as a bent or bulldog. Just my worthless two bits.  ;) 

Cart, being I collect watches I very much understand the appeal factor, but then you have the people who will buy a 10k Rolex just to say they have it. I'm sure there are pipe snobs the same way there are watch snobs. The style os a problem for me because though I kinda know what ones I like, stock photos always have been and always will be terrible to show what anything every actually looks like. This large order I mean to place with p&c was intended to be all tobac but I haven't tried enough to spend say $100 on bulk I've never tried though I picked up a case of jars to fill and they hold about 4oz just right so maybe I should just order a bunch I've never tried. But then again, who doesn't want a new pipe?!

well i really like these 3 from stanwells black line, but now, which one?!
im leaning for the middle one (not sure the shape name) or the cherrywood

pm-pswbhk-207-r.png

pm-pswbhk-95-r_view2.png

pm-pswbhk-84-r.png

Of the 3, I like the cherry, but I'm not the one who will be smoking it!

DrT999":0i3gn5a8 said:
i do really like the cherry and i really want one but imo i think a cherry aught to be in a smooth finish

jonnylaw13":ud8a0cka said:
DrT999":ud8a0cka said:
i do really like the cherry and i really want one but imo i think a cherry aught to be in a smooth finish
Of course, if it was really made of cherry wood, it should have some bark on it

DrT999":fndgssty said:
jonnylaw13":fndgssty said:
DrT999":fndgssty said:
Of course, if it was really made of cherry wood, it should have some bark on it
touche lol

well im all done went with 40z of My Mixture, Nightcap and Red Cake (ive only had the 5100 out of them) the brushed black cherrywood and a tin of Cornell & Diehl Black Frigate. wanted to try Pirate cake but its backordered

jonnylaw13":r736651i said:
wanted to try Pirate cake but its backordered
I've got a sample of Pirate Kake I can send you if you'll PM me your mailing address.