Best Blend in a meerschaum?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a highly person issue, as you'll get many people who think that Meers are great because everything smokes good in them as one doesn't smoke any better than another one. They are neutral, no added flavor. ;)

hobie1dog":y2fkf8ei said:
That's a highly person issue, as you'll get many people who think that Meers are great because everything smokes good in them as one doesn't smoke any better than another one. They are neutral, no added flavor. ;)
Agreed with Hobie! :cheers:

I love the few meers that I have and I agree with hobie. I think a meer just makes the tobacco you love taste even better.

I personally enjoy Pease's blends in my meer. Some of his blends are really complex and I get a better feel for them with the meer not adding anything to the experience.

When I purchased my first meerschaum (a gourd calabash) I was told to smoke a latakia blend in it for good coloring. Upon reflection, I think the tobacconist just had too much Plumcake in stock.

INMHO, I believe any blend will smoke great in a meer.Meerschaums will not sour or carry ghost the way that briars might,if a ghost appears,it is quickly smoked away by the next blend, in a few bowls. I started smoking meerschaum pipes in the 70ties,and have aquired several at this point, and they remain my favorites to smoke. when ever i want to try a new blend, i smoke it in one of the Meers.
They tend to be more neutral, not adding anything to the taste of the mixture.
If you have a favorite blend, pack it into that meer and go for it

Meers are great for anything! I´ve had two and both were great. Unfortunately, one broke and the other is in the black hole of my storage space up in AZ. I have considered getting another, but I am just not a delicate or careful guy when it comes to my pipes. They get dropped sometimes- and meers HATE that!! Also having a 3 yo that loves to get into my pipes- meers especially hate that. :lol:

Most of us who own & smoke meerschaum pipes konw the joy and pleasures of
smoking so many diferent blends in these pipes,that without question they, rank very high in comparison to other high quality pipes.In regards to their frailty,
some are more so than others. Almost any pipe with deep cuts and carvings will be more prone to cracking when taking a serious blow.So one could assume that
a block meerschaum free of carvings would be somewhat more durable.
also there are 2 kinds of meerschaum, commonly used in pipes. Turkish and
African. African being the stronger of the 2 types, more dense & heavier in weight.
My own experience with the african meers, of witch i have many, reveal that they will provide a smoke equal to turkish meers.In the 35 to 40 years that i have been smoking them, i never treated them any difirent from my briar pipes. I have never broken one. These pipes are treated and have some color added in production, therefore
milk white is not a characteristic of african meerschaum.

If you really want the meer to color well, then smoke a heavy Latakia blend...The oils in the heavy Latakia blends seep into the porous meer very well for coloring!!!