Best butane?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I just got a Peterson "Old Boy" lighter and have heard one needs to use the purest available butane to help performance etc. I have some Vector which is what was recommended for my Thunderbird Zippo insert, but I've heard other brands being recommended. Any experience? Thanks...

In my experience, Lava 5x refined (which I use in my Dunhill Ligne2) and Vector 5x refined have never caused a problem in any of my lighters and I wouldn't use anything else.

I've used the Ronson butane for many years with no issues, even though some say that this is sub-par and causes problems.

Then again my butane lighter of choice is a cheap IMCO. It's not too fussy. Don't know how it would perform in a more expensive lighter.

Cheers,

RR

I've always used Vector in my IM Corona Old Boy and haven't had a problem.

It really doesn’t matter so much if you’re using a soft flame design lighter...as opposed to a “torch” flame lighter, in which it does make a difference.

I use a Tsubota “Pearl Eddie” which is arguably the finest made and functioning lighter in existence - and it works fine with standard butane.

Of course, I totally understand if you prefer to use only the best available butane in your baby. It’s what I do. Typically I use Vector. But so long as it’s triple refined rated, I’m good with it. There are lots of brands out there. Use google.

My baby...

My new baby...

DeRu5uil.jpg

I’ve used Lava and Xikar in my lighters for a long time without issue. I also use Dunhill butane in my Rollagas

I can't say which brand is best. I have to buy local because of all the regs against air transportation, so I buy the only brand available: Olympia. Don't know if it's good or crappy butane.