Best place to buy MM?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theophilus

Reaction score
Those of you who enjoy smoking Missouri Meerschaum pipes:

Where do you buy yours? The only one I can find in my local B&Ms is the "Legend" model, but I want to get a few different kinds, like the "Country Gentleman", "Diplomat", and "Ozark Mountain Hardwood". I'd like to dedicate them to different blends since they're so cheap. Is it best to just buy them straight from corncobpipe.com?

Like Rob I got most of mine from my B&M. Sadly the owner retired and closed the store a few years ago. It was a REAL pipe shop, so he had a good selection of MM's.

Lately I've have been wanting a General, or two. I will probably end up buying from corncobpipe.com or other reputable on line dealer. Then I will decide on a couple of Forever Stems from Dr. Dave. Some nice colorful ones!

Thanks, Rob! The prices at marscigars.com were unbelievable! Half the price of corncobpipe.com. I just ordered a Country Gentleman, Eaton, Cherry Hardwood and a Mini Cob (it was under $2 and now I can pretend I'm a giant). $20 including shipping. I have a tin of Nightcap on the way as well (never tried it before), but I think I'm going to save it for my Country Gentleman. I really want to experience the flavoring in a fresh pipe. Would a corn cob be a good pipe to designate to Nightcap? I'm not extremely familiar with pipe & tobacco pairing yet.

Theophilus":kqogrj4u said:
..................................... Would a corn cob be a good pipe to designate to Nightcap? I'm not extremely familiar with pipe & tobacco pairing yet.
I am sure Rob will attest; Any tobac is a good match in a cob! At least I think so.

For me, a cob is the most practical smoking implement ever devised. ( :scratch: Hmmm... why does that statement sound familiar to me? :lol: )

It is durable, affordable and smokes any tobacco beautifully. In the looks department (I think they look great) love it or hate it, it's an American icon.

Corn cob: The M1 Garand of pipes!
--Rich

Oh wow.

Bought my cobs right from MM's website. Not that a cob purchase is a bank-breaker, but I wish I'd have known about those prices at marscigars.

The advantage of buying cobs direct from MM is that you can order natural versions of many o their models. And the naturals do smoke much better than the finished versions, IMNSHO.

I like gettin' 'em from the B&M. It supports them, I get to tell people "No, they actually aren't a disposable pipe if you treat them correctly..." and while Ascorti and Dunhill pipes are a common sight among the gents there, I've gotten a name for myself having cobs and very unique pipes. Plus, when I buy them, I can peek in the bowls and be persnickety about which look best. 8)

I really want a Natural direct from MM, though, that's on the list. 8)

I buy my MM's from my local B&M, and get my custom bit's for them from Walker's Briar Works.

Lately my local B&M has been getting some really nice beefy cobs, noticeably larger and thicker walled than usual. I just picked up a thick walled Country Gentleman yesterday that I am very happy with. 8)

Dutch":6m9vcirr said:
Lately my local B&M has been getting some really nice beefy cobs, noticeably larger and thicker walled than usual. I just picked up a thick walled Country Gentleman yesterday that I am very happy with. 8)
No kidding!!! I bought a MONSTER cob from my Tinder Box a few days ago, I should take comparison pictures. 8)

Like many of you, I get most of mine from my local B&M - as I stated above. I'm all for supporting my local B&M.

The reason I provided that link to Mars Cigars was so that Brothers who did not have a close B&M or whose B&M do not stock a variety of Cobs could order them at the best possible price. No, they're not expensive either way, but the less you spend on them the more you have left over for tobacco purchases. 8)

John - I agree on the 'Natural' versions smoking a bit better, but personally I prefer the look of the 'Finished' cobs. To me, at least, the both smoke equally well - one just gets a little warmer. I shouldn't say they smoke 'Better' but it's been my experience that the Natural Cobs breathe a little better than the Finished versions, meaning they stay cooler and don't have as long of a drying time between smokes. This combination of characteristics is good if you smoke goopy aromatics or tobacco that's a little too moist (drys out faster), or of course hotter-burning blends (stays cooler).

Theo - on Cobs and Dedicated Blends: not required, but nothing wrong with doing that at all. At the price of a good Cob, you can have a few for each family of tobaccos (Burleys, VAs, English, Aromatics, etc). Nightcap is fantastic (IMHO) in a Cob and I hope you are as happy with that combination as I am.

I do dedicate my cobs a little... the yellow-stemmed ones are for Latakia (3) and the rest are for Virginia--with the exception of one Diplomat which is only for Storm Front. Once I did confuse the two Washingtons I have and put some Latakia in the VA-dedicated one and smoked it all...oops. Well, no discernible problem, thankfully. 8)

TheSmokeamater":506qez5e said:
It is durable, affordable and smokes any tobacco beautifully. In the looks department (I think they look great) love it or hate it, it's an American icon.
Not to mention - forgiving. You can smoke bowls back-to-back or at least many times a day for days on end - and they don't seem to care. Some people clean the bowls, others build a cake, John's Corncob Primer is an excellent read and highly recommended. While I might not agree with him on all points, it's very informative well worth studying.

Smokeamater - I really like the looks of them as well, but that's personal preference.

Oh, and the Missouri Meerschaum company history. Don't forget the history. 8) That's one of the selling points for me.

Walker Briar Works and the Forever Stems. Picked one up at the Chicago show, excellent workmanship and so comfortable stems.
:cheers:

docwatson":ygmuqrqm said:
Walker Briar Works and the Forever Stems. Picked one up at the Chicago show, excellent workmanship and so comfortable stems.
Andy, I can't say enough good things about these stems! They just make a cob so enjoyable to smoke. I am going to order several more, just so I have the opportunity to experience every shape and size available. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

docwatson":x2h2h3lx said:
Absolutely. You can buy the MM cob directly from them and have it fitted with a metal band and your choice of custom stem. It'll cost you more, but you'll have a cob to hold onto. Of course, one of the good things about smoking a cob is if you happen to, say, drop it in a lake or wood chipper while disposing of the bodies minding your own business, you just shrug it off and get another cob. Not so with a Walker job.

[/quote]

Of course, one of the good things about smoking a cob is if you happen to, say, drop it in a lake or wood chipper while disposing of the bodies minding your own business, you just shrug it off and get another cob.[/quote]

:lol!: :lol!: