Best storage/cellaring tips

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post and very helpful to us newbies.. I shall collect many mason jars for the future.. People sell them cheap around here when moving or getting to old to can any more.. Looks exciting ... :D
Chuck..

I've been using the very small 4 oz. mason jars. I get 'em by the box and make a slit in the plastic covering of the box just big enough to pull the jars out, fill 'em, and put 'em back. This leaves the jars in the box with most of the plastic covering in tact giving it some added stability and making the box units quite compact and stackable in a closet. The 4 oz. (or smallest) size is also particularly good because when you open a jar the aging basically stops, so I open one and smoke the tobacco until its gone. It would be tough to do that with a larger size before the tobacco gets dry. Its also handy to have the smaller jars around to house half the contents of a tin, when I open a tin, to prevent it all from getting dry before I finish it (if I'm enjoying a number of different blends rather than 'focusing' on one).

Natch":xjtrf2b2 said:
Over the years, I've morphed from storing mostly in quart Mason jars to pints and even half-pint jars. Now, when I buy a pound, I generally put into two pint jars and perhaps one 8 ounce jar (depending on the cut of the tobacco and how tight I pack it). One pint jar gets packed into a box with other blends, sealed, and labeled, "do not open until ten year from the date I seal it, so I know almost half of what I buy is in long term aging. The second pint jar I usually keep around, but may not open it for a couple of years. The smaller half-pint jar is for sampling over the next few months.

I now have several good sized boxes labeled, "Do Not Open Until 2011, or 2012, or 2013 (up to 2019). So at least 8 to 10 pounds of 10 year old tobacco can be opened each January first for a while to come. That's the primary reason that I never post pix of my cellar, it's not all neatly stashed and arranged by brand or blend, but packed into sealed boxes and stashed all over the place.

But to answer your question with my experience, store in several, smaller jars rather than fewer larger jars, they you can open some and leave others to age.

Natch
AMEN NATCH!!!
Agreed, and if you have had the opportunity to smoke some of his 12 year old stash, Natch is the aging legend!!
I too of late try to store in smaller jars to leave the rest in cellar!!
Pay attention to the man here, trust me!

3 cheers Natch! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

For tobacco that only comes in bulk I use half pint mason jars. I just recently ramped up on my bulk cellaring efforts. At the rate im going on bulk I should be up to around 100 pounds by years end. If its a blend I like I usually buy it by the 5lb bag.

So, as a newbie, I have a few questions on this topic:
1. If you want to store the tobacco for years, what do you have to do to prepare the mason jars (or can you just screw the lid on tight and call it good)?
2. When you open a jar to smoke, how long will the tobacco keep if you close the lid tightly after each time?

all you guys are smart to be cellaring tobacco.I have always used mason jars of all sizes.Never fails me.Too many problems on the horizon and I love my pipes too much to deny them tobacco.Small jars are great especially when you cant stay out of the stash.I smoke a lot of burley and buy 10 to 15lbs at a time,so I like the large jars.Leaving all in original cartons helps a lot,stacking and keeping records.Keeping good records is a must.How much is the problem,especially when you like many types and blends.I have over 400lbs and still buy a lot.WHY?Cause there is a lot of good stuff out there.Keep the faith and keep stacking.

I use the half pint mason jars and put 2oz in each jar put them back in the card board case and number the boxes. I have a list box 1 box 2 thru box 14 and what is in each box. I have been doing this for about 15yrs and it works for me.

nate560":4o0ia9tl said:
I use the half pint mason jars and put 2oz in each jar put them back in the card board case and number the boxes. I have a list box 1 box 2 thru box 14 and what is in each box. I have been doing this for about 15yrs and it works for me.

You've been doin' it for far longer than me, but that's what I do too.

I live in a condo so when I first started getting into cellaring tobacco, it was a matter of finding enough space to keep it in. One day I had an ephipany. Since shifting over itunes/ipods with my music collection, one day I realized that the huge CD cabinet in my spare bedroom was no longer needed for CD's. I boxed up all my CD collection and presto, I had the perfect tobacco cellar. Pictures will hopefully follow but I am pretty dang proud of it as it not nearly filled to capacity yet. I estimate that it will fit between 50-75 pounds of tobacco with ease.

-Scott