Bic to light your pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konrad_von_Marburg

Reaction score
Can I just use a Bic lighter to light my pipe? Or is that just such an atrocious heresy that I should be burned merely for asking it?

Thoughts?

A bic is fair game, the only lighter you should avoid is any type of torch lighter. You are likely to cause a burn out using torch lighters.

Jim

No real worries with a Bic. You'll probably burn your finger or thumb before you hurt the pipe....

Ozark Wizard":8h37jnww said:
No real worries with a Bic. You'll probably burn your finger or thumb before you hurt the pipe....
This for sure! Wooden matches are better !! :evil: :evil:

monbla256":emrhu5h4 said:
Ozark Wizard":emrhu5h4 said:
This for sure! Wooden matches are better !! :twisted: :twisted:

BS IMHO. Wooden matches are not better. It’s whatever works best for you. I use refillable style butane lighters almost exclusively. Hate fumbling around with matches.

If there is some problem with using a Bic, I never got the memo. I use them all the time. The one that I leave in the truck has to be warmed up in my hand before I use it on a day like today (-14 when I woke up).

Blackhorse":qfnkhhtb said:
monbla256":qfnkhhtb said:
Ozark Wizard":qfnkhhtb said:
This for sure! Wooden matches are better !! :twisted: :twisted:

BS IMHO.  Wooden matches are not better. It’s whatever works best for you. I use refillable style butane lighters almost exclusively. Hate fumbling around with matches.
I too use refillable fuel lighters when I'm away from my house, but remember, most lighters especially Bics were designed for the 1.5 second light needed for cigarettes and their fuel capacity is based on this. You'll use 'em up fuel wise faster lighting a pipe. JMHE :twisted:

I use Bics almost all the time. They are convenient and last quite a while before running out of gas. I find the only lighter that works better is a dedicated pipe style lighter. I have a couple of those but I get tired of refilling them weekly.

I like two butane lighters specifically...both refillable. The best IMHO is the Clipper which I love. It has a massive fuel capacity and lasts me for weeks & also takes standard flints. Plus you can tamp with it. I don’t know if it is still available but my other fav is the Robson Comet.

You can get the Clipper shipped free on Amazon for a bit over a buck apiece...lots of options...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=clipper+lighter&sprefix=Clipper%2Caps%2C206&crid=3JMK4YCM3OHCT

If it matters to you, just take care not to scorch the rim of the bowl while lighting. That's why so called, "pipe" lighters have an angled flame.

Bics are okay, but are no better in a breeze than a match. I like the Zippo with the pipe insert for their winning combo of function and price. Conditions permitting, the wooden match is a nice, precise pipe lighting tool. The more expensive lighters don’t give added value for the extra cost, though they look cool.

Some come with adjustable flame height. Those are best for pipe-lighting. I use a BIC for one-handed lighting, e.g., when I'm driving. I avoid using it when the bowl is half full. That's a good time to scorch the wood. Better to use it just for the first couple of lights.

Rob D.

I used BIC’s for years but I got tired of scorching rims and burning my fingers. I still use kitchen matches from time to time but I upgraded to two Kiribi Kabuto’s. Love the soft adjustable flame and long lasting fuel tank

I like using wooden matches.  These days the only wooden matches I have access to are Diamond brand.  Their quality control has plummeted.  The smaller ones are difficult to light.  The larger kitchen matches are better but inconvenient to carry.  The strike anywhere variety don't seem to be available.  I will have to check for some of the brands listed in this topic.

Stinger

Here’s a smoker’s pocket-size carrying solution for kitchen matches. The small flake tobacco tins from Pete, Mac Baren, Dunhill etc are a good size for holding an ample supply of these. Just cut off an inch or two of the striking strip from the match box, and use a glue stick to fix it to the inside of the tobacco tin lid. Voila! A handy carrier for matches, tamper and a couple bent cleaners. Kinda coof looking, too, I’d say?. Sure, you can use bigger tins, if you like. I just like the convenient size of the smaller tin.

Stinger4me":76v7ozky said:
I like using wooden matches.  These days the only wooden matches I have access to are Diamond brand.  Their quality control has plummeted.  The smaller ones are difficult to light.  The larger kitchen matches are better but inconvenient to carry.  The strike anywhere variety don't seem to be available.  I will have to check for some of the brands listed in this topic. Stinger
The strike anywhere's aren't much better in terms of QC. On average, at least an 8th of the matches flare up and go out or snap in half. They are still dirt freaking cheap & I also use them to light my smoker/grill, but Swan matches they are not..

DramsAndBeer, nice to hear I am not alone in the QC issue with matches.  KevinM I will locate a small tin and work out a solution to the match issue.  Thanks very much for the information.

Diamond penny matches still work pretty well for me. Can't say I've noticed any significant deterioration in quality, and I use them every day. Have done for many years.

:scratch:

Cheers,

RR

Stinger4me":qrofc1ib said:
I like using wooden matches.  These days the only wooden matches I have access to are Diamond brand.  Their quality control has plummeted.  The smaller ones are difficult to light.  The larger kitchen matches are better but inconvenient to carry.  The strike anywhere variety don't seem to be available.  I will have to check for some of the brands listed in this topic.

Stinger
The strike anywhere aren't made anymore. The Interstate Commerce stopped allowing them to be transported across the country. So all you have available now are the "strike on box" variety.