bid on broken old boy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPUD 15

Reaction score
I saw this old boy on ebay and sent a reply to the seller a few days ago that the flint holder was broken on its top where it attaches to the flint wheel. I also gave him the address for the new corona repair facility in nashville tn and said the repair would be $9.00 and another $9.00 for the screw that is missin on the bottom of the lighter. He replied that it looked like it was made that way and thanked me for watching out for the buyers. Was I wrong???, and is there any way that you can warn buyers before they purchase or is it just buyer beware. MIKE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IM-Corona-Old-Boy-/190772588179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6aeeae93

That's why it's called "e-prey". If you could figure this out and notice these things, someone else can as well. For the others, it's "e-prey" :evil:

I asked the guy about it and it and got the same answer. Whether or not he honestly believed it was built like that after receiving more that one query, he didn't see fit to change the listing to bring attention to it. Honestly, I think anyone willing to pay $70 for a lighter as clearly worn as this one either knows what it needs, or will learn their lesson when they take possession.

George you make some great points. I just feel sorry for the buyer that is going to have $90.00 in the lighter that is well well worn after it is all said and done. MIKE

I feel sorry for him too, but what can you do? If he and I were both customers in a store, I'd certainly point that out to him. I just can't stop everyone from over-paying, though. If I could, China would soon be out of business. :p About the only thing that could have been done here would be to report the seller to Ebay for a fraudulent listing, which isn't really true due to the pics and the fact that he said it was used.
This one's a different story:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110993157906?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648
Notice anything amiss there? That's listed as a new, unused, unopened item. I guess it just came from the factory looking like this:

Amazing even the little phillips head screw is compleayly rounded. Hr calle it a pipe lighter but it is a cigar and ciggarette lighter. MIKE

I asked him about it, politely suggesting that perhaps he posted the wrong pics.
Here's the response he gave:
Im not sure how you came to your conclusion but I purchased it from a closing pipe shops stock and am sure it is new and unused, if you disagree simply do not bid on it.
Don't worry, pal. I won't.