Big Ben Oxford

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djf1

Reaction score
Since I found this board I think that I have moved from a pipe smoker to a hobbyist! I have learned so much about the hobby and how to properly take care of my equipment that I want to say a big thank you to all...
Case in point, my bent dublin big ben oxford pipe. This was one of my purchases in the mid 90's venturing into the world of pipe smoking. This pipe I have not used in years, I always thought that it was a bad pipe so it was stuck deep in a drawer with other junk. On Monday after reading " Do I need to hire an exorcist" thread I decide to dig out the 2 "bad pipes" that I had stuck in this drawer for years and give them a proper cleaning. Picking up the Big Ben I was shocked to see how beautiful the pipe actually is! Nice briar with wonderful shape and graining! I thought wow, I did not remember it being that gorgeous! So I rimmed the bowl very well, gave her a good salt bath and cleaned her all up. The pipe ( my fault) was so dirty, back then when I ventured into smoking I had tried these horrible "supermarket" type of products which had left black sticky tar everywhere. the smell alone was terrible... So today after I made sure that she is all nice and dry I loaded a bowl of my favorite Reiner. WOW... what a difference!!! While I still consider my Blatter Select my best smoker, the big ben earned a place in my cabinet!
Thanks to all!!!

Glad to hear that 15 year old chunk of briar isn't going to waste,,, :D

Yeah Amen brother! Cant imagine that I actually tried to smoke it with all that gook in there, not to mention leaving the pipe in this condition... Live and learn though and I'm happily considering myself a "Brother of Briar"!