Big Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Haggerty

Reaction score
This is kind of the opposite of a flake pipe question. What do you smoke in your big pipes? Just lit up a bowl of Squadron Leader in a magnum Bari Wiking, good smoke for sure.

Burleys in a bigger pipe, especially C&D BigNBurley. Flavors really develop fully.

Tim: Big pipes are my favorites. The bigger the better. You can always load less but when you want more it's the only way to go. I'm a Balkan/Heavy English smoker. Latakia in a grand bowl, scotch or bourbon to quench thirst, equals two hours of contemplative pleasure for sure. As an aside, I'm developing my stache into a big handlebar. That way I'll be able to hang on to the aroma long after the pipe is done. My goals in retirement life are to live and smoke large.

I've got a few pipes that, while not big structurally speaking, have a pretty decent bowl capacity.

Both of my Bannard / Sasquatch pipes have big bowl capacity. One of them I used to smoke Navy Flake in, but have switched to my new love, G&H Brown Flake Unscented. Nothing like 2 hours spent with all that wonderfull flavor filling up the basement with glorious smoke. The Brown Flake makes the basement and me smell good, according to my wife. The Navy Flake made for an excellent smoke, but made the basement smell like cat piss. Lol.

The other Bannard I've been breaking in with some '05 Haddo's. Have yet to smoke a full bowl, up to about 3/4 of a bowl now...gets better every time. Sweet, long, complex, nicotine heavy bowl to either renew my faith in the world or forget about it until the nicotine wears off :lol: . I orignally expected it to be a Navy Flake pipe, but the pipe had different ideas.

A WO Larsen Bent Brandyish billiard thing I use for Presbyterian Mixture. Sort of a mild and delicately complex blend...the deep bowl allows me time to explore it's depths and "hone in" on the blend.

A Mike Brissett Rhodesian type thing I use for Uhles #300 or CWB, depending on the mood. Fairly simple burley blends, but the flavors don't really get old and the burley really develops well over the course of the bowl. Can get ever so slightly boring once in a while, but never to a degree that keeps me from ejoying it. Just grab a hanfull of cubes and sprinkle them into the pipe, touch some flame and off we go. I'll use this pipe when I'm going to be around others as the Uhle's baccys have a pretty nice room note.

A Brissett poker probably has the biggest capacity of all my pipes. Very tall and deep bowl. I have been using it for 3 Friars and Old Joe Krantz. Both are interesting enough to hold off boredom and fairly quick burners to keep the smoke from lasting too much longer than my attention span.

That's about it for my larger capacity pipes. There is a Savi Giotto 111 that can hold a big pile of baccy...I've been using it for Uhles 300 & CWB since it's a pipe my wife bought me and she likes the room note of those tobaccos. I'm thinking about switching that over to Edgeworth R/R though, once I open up the tub.

English, ribbon cut blends in a big pipe for me. Flakes take too long.