Biggest Pipe Shop In Michigan, Sneak Peak

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ill describe it a little...

when i walked in, i stared in amazement at all the 50's era grabows, kaywoodies and house brand pipes( there are hundreds of them) with vintage advertising and pipe stands everywhere. I was immediately was asked if i needed help by the owner, the founders son. i asked him if he had any unsmoked kbb yellow bowls, he didnt. i then went to look at the tins and bulk tobaccos, there were only a few tins, and the tins they did have were all double the normal price. i was then introduced to a group of smokers smoking in the back room, the pipe repair shop. i was told that the blend darwin asa was a very good english if i liked english, i said i do love english blends, but just like most people, started on aromatics. there were 3 of them smoking in the back room. they were dressed in sweater vests and the looked like they came on a boat straight from 1950's london. they were the nicest group of guys ive ever met. after looking at pipes and tobaccos for a good hour, one of the guys in the group, who also worked there, asked me to try a pipe, he had lit it for a lady who came in asking about a pipe her father or grandfather had, she had never tried one, he lit her a pipe, with a sweet aromatic, she left and didnt want to try it so, he came to me, i told him i left my pipe in my truck. The pipe he let me try was a nording signature freehand, it was so beautiful. so i smoked and walked and looked, he helped me and we talked for a good 20 minutes before he left to go sit back down with his friends, and told me to join them if i wanted. i handed back his pipe and told him i would get my own. I went to my truck and got my savinelli de luxe and came back in, i then purchased 2 packs of pipe cleaners, a p&t magazine, and 2 oz of tobacco. then i hung up my jacket, went to the back room, introduced myself, and started to pack my pipe with my newly bought tobacco. The guy who worked there( i cant remember his name!) told me i was a guest, i could take some out of the bulk jar, so i loaded a pipe, and sat down, of course i had forgotten to bring my lighter, and tamper, but he had an old boy that he let me use( i need to get one, those are really nice.) we talked and talked until everyone was done, we went out and we searched for pipes that we wanted. we looked at pipes for over an hour, he pulled out drawer after drawer of pipes, name brands of all kinds, we then looked at the estate pipes, so many it made me cry, dunhills, savinellis petersons, even some old grabows. i finally found one i wanted and held onto it, i got the pipe rack i wanted and walked around and looked some more, i then said my goodbyes, and told them i would be back next week for a new stem. an all around amazing experience. I would recommend that everyone take a drive into flint and visit this shop.

THE BAD: I do have a few things i didnt like. The tins and bulk tobaccos were very unorganized, very overpriced and there is very little selection.(although they do have 2 tins of murrays erinmore mixture.) this place also selles cigs, and lotto tickets, so there was so many poeple coming i to buy those two things, it got crowded, the counters were taken up by people with scratch of tickets. I was also holding the door for a lady and she picked a butt out of an ash tray and grumbled to me, " What are you doing smoking a pipe anyways?" I laughed and walked out. Overall, an amazing experience.

Woo, done typing now...

Sound like quite a place! I wish there was something like that near me! Well, on second thought, might be a good thing there is not...(':pale:')

The guy who helped you out is named Rob. The tinned tobacco prices reflect wholesale cost plus excise tax, plus state tobacco tax, plus overhead. It's unfortunate, but this is Michigan. Paul's bulk prices are right in line for the most part with what you will find at a brick and mortar pipe shop in Michigan, and lower in some instances. Since they blend many of the tobaccos they carry in house, some blends are more expensive than others because of the raw materials used.

Maybe I'll see you in there sometime. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

Great travelogue, ZWD! Sounds like a great place for a pipeman.

ZombieWeinerDog":y72p77a9 said:
I was also holding the door for a lady and she picked a butt out of an ash tray and grumbled to me, " What are you doing smoking a pipe anyways?" I laughed and walked out.
She was a lady until she opened her mouth to say something that wasn't "Thanks." At that point, what she became does not bear typing, lest I become something less than a gentleman.

About ten years ago, I drove there from Toronto to visit. Cherish it. That may be the last traditional pipe shop left in Michigan!

there is one in grand rapids that i went to often when i went to the community college, a traditional pipe/ cigar shop, but no room to sit down. its called buffalo tobacco traders.

What an awesome way to spend a couple of hours. Looking forward to the HD version! :)