Bill Gates is Evil.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always thought it took more virtue to make an honest fortune than to give it away, but whatever he wants to do with his money is his call. Or Melinda's.  Couldn't be p-whipped, could he?  :queen: 

I'm not real sure what's dishonest about his fortune.. No more so than any other businessman anyway.

The thing I've never understood is why he gets painted so harshly and a guy like Jobs ( who behaved exactly like Gates in the business world) gets Jesus status.

Where the rubber meets the road I don't really care.. I just thought it was a cool story in this normally reprobate world.

You may have missed my point. In any event, as far as I know he made his fortune honestly. No one can make as much money as he did and not have detractors, some quite rabid. Ain't gonna happen. My point was that I don't see why making the fortune is considered, at best, morally neutral--but giving it away is virtue of the highest order. What does that make the recipients, morally speaking? There's nothing wrong with philanthropy, it just seems morally overrated, while the creation of wealth is considered mere greed by the herd. I'm being a bit disingenuous here--I know what's going on--so full disclosure: I'm not a Christian. Nor a communist.

Ehhh some of my best friends are christian communist. It's all good.

I think the difference is voluntary giving IS honorable. Does he do it out of guilt? Does he do it cause his old lady says so? Does he do it because he realizes he's amassed a pile of wealth that can't legitimately be spent in 100 lifetimes? Don't know. But he does give. And he's looked upon as evil by most. Contrasting that to some other rich people (both living and dead) that would kill you before buying you a cup of coffee and are yet held as hero.. THATS what I don't get.

Or.

I just thought it was cool.

Richard Burley":okz9mrgw said:
 There's nothing wrong with philanthropy, it just seems morally overrated, while the creation of wealth is considered mere greed by the herd.  I'm being a bit disingenuous here--I know what's going on--so full disclosure:  I'm not a Christian.  Nor a communist.
Cognitive dissonance.

Damn. I can't have that sort of wealth myself.

Creating that kind of wealth probably meant hurting others, and that's bad, bad, bad. Noooope. I don't want it. It's not worth it. In fact anyone who has money like that is bad, bad, bad. Nope, I'm waaay happier without it. Honest injun.

He can't take it with him.
I'm sure the money is doin' a whole lot
more good than if the gubmint got ahold of it.  :twisted: 

As a practical matter, it's entirely possible to accumulate so much wealth that more is superfluous. It's also possible to do this w/out breaking the law or running roughshod over your employees. (Obviously, I'm not speaking from personal experience.)

Once you get to the point of being sated, it's reasonable to consider that a tremendous amount of satisfaction can be gained by supporting causes that will leave the world a bit better, rather than buying bling for yourself and generally acting like a hayseed who hit the lottery.

For example, Warren Buffet could motor around in a Ferrari, I suppose, but I've read that his choice for everyday transit is a 10-year-old Buick, or something like that. For an investor, he's also quite the generous philanthropist. Pretty cool, IMHO.

In Mr. Gates case, one might well wonder if more of his fortune might have been better plaed in better software for consumers.

He is only evil, in that he has given Steve Balmer the controlling interest in Microsoft. Steve Balmer should never have been in charge of Microsoft as he has no brains, IMHO. He took MS to the brink of extinction, IMHO.

The only reason any of those greedy pieces of crap donate money is for there frick'en tax right off. I don't like either one of them and nothing will change my mind about that.

Cartaphilus":x1yn769t said:
The only reason any of those greedy pieces of crap donate money is for there frick'en tax right off. I don't like either one of them and nothing will change my mind about that.
Hardcore, bro!  :lol!: 

puros_bran":fflv8v74 said:
Good to see your christian mercy is in full swing tonight.
Being Christian has nothing to do with it, God didn't make me blind. As far as loving the sinner and hating the sin, I reckon I'm at fault and a sinner because of it. But Christians are not without sin and will admit it freely.  ;) 

So you pegged him as some extraordinary sinner how??
Is it because he donates money to try to find cures for presently in curable disease??? Or wait, it's probably when he donates money to build roads, schools, and drinking wells in Africa?? Or could it be the money he donates to scholarship funds to help intelligent young people get educations they couldn't otherwise get??

Let us in on this insider information that makes you hate the man so we can all hate him as well.

I mosied on over the the foundations site. Can you believe that prick is backing an organization that provides sanitation in India?? What next, I guess the piece of shit will start funding malaria fighting groups.. Uhhhhhhh I hate that man.

If you think that's why he really donates fine, that's your opinion and I have mine.
I'm not going to argue about it, enough said.  8) 

And one final shot just because I'm a prick  :lol:

From 1994 to 2006, Bill and Melinda gave the foundation more than $26 billion. Those donations resulted in a tax savings of less than 8.3 percent of the contributions they made over that time.

Or in other words, they received ZERO financial benefit from the last 24 BILLION they donated.

Cartaphilus":ithiaf34 said:
If you think that's why he really donates fine, that's your opinion and I have mine.

I didn't call him out in hatred Cart, I'm asking you. What do you know about this man that makes you hate him so???

My father-in-law the Maine fahmuh used to detest anyone who he thought might have $2.00 more than he did. "Black-hearted, flat land sons o' whores," he'd holler, "I'd make 'em all dig in the dirt."  In thirty years I never figured out where this Red Guard passion was coming from. Did he think that if "the rich" were a little poorer, he'd be a little richer? I don't know. I just considered it a display of his free speech rights.  Sometimes he'd sit on the riverbank playing old dance-hall tunes on his banjo and commence hollerin between songs. And his vote probably cancelled mine out in most elections.

puros_bran":jsjvyfz9 said:
Cartaphilus":jsjvyfz9 said:

I didn't call him out in hatred Cart,   I'm asking you.  What do you know about this man that makes you hate him so???  
First he makes crap software that aint worth half of what he charges for it, sells it before all the bugs are out of it just for starters.
And by the way, Pablo Escobar donated also but, that didn't change the fact that he was still a notorious drug cartel and murder. Here's just a little bit what he did for Columbia's people from Wikipedia.
While seen as an enemy of the United States and Colombian governments, Escobar was a hero to many in Medellín (especially the poor people); he was a natural at public relations and he worked to create goodwill among the poor people of Colombia. A lifelong sports fan, he was credited with building football fields and multi-sports courts, as well as sponsoring children's football teams.
Escobar was responsible for the construction of many hospitals, schools and churches in western Colombia, which gained him popularity inside the local Roman Catholic Church. He worked hard to cultivate his Robin Hood image, and frequently distributed money to the poor through housing projects and other civic activities, which gained him notable popularity among the poor.