Bionic Eyes for Blackhorse

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife had this done recently as well. Both you and she tell me about being awake the whole time. I just think being awake while someone's messing with my eye would freak me out to no end!

Zanaspus":a96p42lj said:
My wife had this done recently as well. Both you and she tell me about being awake the whole time. I just think being awake while someone's messing with my eye would freak me out to no end!

I pretty much guar-ron-tee that with the eye drops they put in you are TOTALLY numb plus with the IV fentanyl and midazolam they use you are really not anxious in the least. I mean, terrorists could storm into the OR shooting and blowing things up and even if shrapnel hit your eye you wouldn’t feel it and really wouldn’t give a damn.

Good to know you had the procedure Dave and you'll soon reap the benefits.

I too am familiar with being semi-awake during such a procedure but there's absolutely zero pain, apart from being semi-freaked out about it at the time!

Cheers,

RR

This is incredible. The odd metal shield/patch thing is off except for at night. So my “seeing” is unencumbered.

OK, I used to have to stand 6’ away from our big screen TV to be able to read the grid guide thing with the channels and programs listed.  Now...I can see it with ease from THE NEXT ROOM. I can see the itty bitty disclaimer text on the bottom of ads. (Lucky me, eh?)

Guys...I couldn’t see the blackboard clearly when I started Jr High (7th grade) and got glasses. That was about 1962. I’ve worn glasses since then...and was glad to have ‘em. I remember stepping outside the eye Dr’s office as a kid with my first ever glasses on...and the huge OMG thing hitting me. I could actually SEE things that were far away really really clearly. What I’m experiencing is just like that.

Of course, now I can’t see this text much at all.  I need reading glasses.  Ah well. Life is hard. 8)

I am now two days post op on my second eye surgery. I feel like a kid again. No gauzey white haze too peer through...no being totally blinded by a bright light...back lit scenes are at last decipherable. My right eye with the toric lens for astigmatism is 20-15. My left eye that had a slight astigmatism not great enough to use a toric lens is corrected to 20-30. Together they score a 20-20. Incredible.

Not cheap...but incredible. Thank goodness for eye doctors and insurance. Of the roughly $6500 total cost the insurance paid about $5000. Guess what I get for a combo birthday/Christmas present this year. Yup. And I’m so very glad.

Wow that is awesome! Medical technology gets better and better!

I went 20 years and effectively stopped using my left eye and lost depth perception. Every doc said they couldn't fix me. Then a buddy that had his own eye exam place asked what was a matter one day after complaining about headaches as a result of driving. He said come in and let me look at your eyes. I said I have gone to a ton of doctors to no avail. He said no charge, let's go. So I did and what was wrong is my left eye focuses above my right eye. I guess new lens technology can correct it and and boom, I can use both eyes now. He said I was the only patient known to do cartwheels to get their first pair of glasses.

This is awesome to read. Sight is a beautiful thing. Congrats on the surgery going well. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr just because of the eye patch

Glad it went well. I remember after my eye surgery I took all my glasses to the range and shot the crap out of them, just to teach them a lesson.

Happy to hear it all went well Dave. It's wonderful what they can do these days, and the added bonus is the Ins which covered the lion's share. Hooray for Medicare!

Cheers,

RR

It's amazing the work that can be done these days. Congratulations on a new lease on vision! Hopefully, the next time you need eye work done, they can grow one in a test tube with three D printing and some of your own T-cells! I'll bet you're appreciating the new vision!

Good deal!

Yes, it is amazing what they can do. Cathy had lasik. She went from needing glasses to see the clock on the wall. Not that she could read it. Without her glasses it was "What wall?" After, she can see everything. Deer in the fields. Read books. Only in the past couple years needing to use reading glasses. It was a shocking change for her. She was nearly blind all her life.

Carlos":gord3vzu said:
Good deal!

Yes, it is amazing what they can do.  Cathy had lasik.  She went from needing glasses to see the clock on the wall.  Not that she could read it.  Without her glasses it was "What wall?"  After, she can see everything.  Deer in the fields.  Read books.  Only in the past couple years needing to use reading glasses.  It was a shocking change for her.  She was nearly blind all her life.

Yeah...this is the kind of thing I love to hear. One encounters haters with dire tales all too often. This, instead, is what the medical community is really all about