Biotene? whats so special about it?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernPiper

Reaction score
OK, so basically what I've gathered is that pipe smoking and biotene mouthwash are meant for each other. What I don't understand is WHY :scratch: . Are there any benefits other than curing dry-mouth? Does it help with tongue bite, or keep your teeth from staining any better than, say, a bottle of crest or listerine?

Another question, the bottle makes me think it would have a taste similar to buckley's cough syrup. Is this a safe assumption or am I way off?

Side note, if you don't know what buckley's is, I would recommend looking it up on youtube for a good laugh.

My opinion -- Biotene is unique in that it has a comforting, soothing effect in the mouth. It is thicker and sweeter than other non-alcohol mouthwashes. It is not sickeningly sweet, but rather is pleasantly tasty, IMHO. It doesn't react caustically on the tongue after a smoke.

It is also about twice as expensive as Crest and many other name-brand non-alcohol mouthwashes. I would say that it is worth trying out.

Fortunately, Biotene doesn't taste anything like Buckley's...it is about the same viscosity, however. I found the price point to be the real kicker - up here, I haven't found a bottle under $15, and strangely enough, Sensodyne seems to have the same effect, albeit the liquid isn't quite as thick, and its about 1/3 of the cost.

I started using Biotene about a month ago, and I am getting very impressive results.

I never get a chemical tongue bite, but occasionally I will get a steam bite. Biotene somehow soothes the condition, and within 24 hrs. my tongue is almost back to normal, even when smoking a couple bowls during the healing time.

As for the cost, it is not expensive at all, considering the instruction is to only use a tablespoon which is about a third the volume of mouthwash I was using in another brand.

As for the taste, it seems like a mild peppermint, with a light syrup consistency.

Also, it seems to keep gum disease in check very effectively compared to other mouthwashes I have used in the past.

I give it two thumbs up, and highly recommend it to my brothers of the briar. :D

Good thread to stumble upon. The "Crest Pro Health" line makes fantastic toothpastes, but their mouthwash is some powerful stuff--if you don't like it, you won't use it, and I don't care for it.

I'm going to give this Biotene stuff a try for an "after pipe" cleaning. Thanks!!!

I went through a big bottle of it, waste of time and money for me, YMMV. Learning to smoke slowly made more difference than anything else.

Even I got the sensitivity in the teeth and that was just so unbearable. So I decided to go with the treatment from the expert Torrance dentist. He did all of the checkups and found cavities and some other issues too. Provided really nice treatment and now there is no issue at all.

Abdulo19":wegrqw01 said:
Even I got the sensitivity in the teeth and that was just so unbearable. So I decided to go with the treatment from the expert Torrance dentist. He did all of the checkups and found cavities and some other issues too. Provided really nice treatment and now there is no issue at all.
Hey Abdulo...welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your time here. You should post over in the new member section.