Birthday Tour in a '79 MGB

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
Yesterday was my birthday, so the wife and I decided to take a few days touring PA in our '79. This is the first real trip we've taken in the car. Temps were around 90 but we dodged any rain storms.

On Thursday, we drove to the Reading/Adamstown area to peruse thru the antique/flea markets, which we really enjoy. That was a 130 mile trip. The B drove wonderfully. We stayed off the interstates, sticking to back roads and highways.

We had a great dinner in downtown Reading.

On Friday, we drove to Pottsville, PA to tour the Yuenglings factory. The trip home was 130 miles and thankfully we had cloud cover but no rain. We were tired, but thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

We bumped into this gentleman near Pottsville in this '58 TR3. He bought it in 1969 for.... $75. It was pristine. He got a kick out my "Triumph" shirt and that were were driving an MGB.

In all, just about 300 miles were driven in the two days. The only thing that slowed us down was talking to folks who were interested in the car.

Some shots at the Brewery and a winery near by.

Happy Birthday Al. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Beautiful car!!

Happy Belated Birthday Al. Nothing like a convertible to relax the senses, unless it's a bike or pipe! :D

Happy belated birthday, Al! Looks like you had a good one!

I love your MGB. My grandfather has a 1970 MGB in orange. I love that car but so does every other man in the family and unfortunately I'm pretty far down the list of possible inheritance Lol

All you need is a windshield pipe for driving with the top down! 8)

I have an hard enough time not getting ashes all over me on the patio, I better leave the pipe smoking out of the car...

I also rec'd this pipe, a day after my birthday. A 999 Peterson Rocky Donegal that looks like it might be from the 50-60's era. That one came via a trade. It gets smoked later this evening when the sun sets.

riff raff":xs02tbc0 said:
I have an hard enough time not getting ashes all over me on the patio, I better leave the pipe smoking out of the car...

I also rec'd this pipe, a day after my birthday. A 999 Peterson Rocky Donegal that looks like it might be from the 50-60's era. That one came via a trade. It gets smoked later this evening when the sun sets.

Here's a link to the date hallmarks used on Petersons. You ought to be able to date your Rocky from this. :p

http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/images/hallmarking-large.jpg

Unfortunately this one doesn't have any hallmarks, just K&P and "Sterling Silver" (not a good picture, but those symbols are only K&P). The stamping and rustification look a lot different than a modern Pete Rocky Donegal. One site says Nickel bands had no hallmarks, but Sterling banded pipes always did. This one defies that logic, perplexing. The guy I traded it with bought it unsmoked and said it was from the 50's by his research.

monbla256":ogjlzm7l said:
riff raff":ogjlzm7l said:

Here's a link to the date hallmarks used on Petersons. You ought to be able to date your Rocky from this. :p

http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/images/hallmarking-large.jpg

I have one just like yours I bought in '72 when they were still sandblasted not rusticated as they are now days. It has hallmarks on it as it has a Steling band as yors. From what I have found out from the IPPC the Rocky line came into the line-up in the mid 60's. My pipe was made in 1969 from the date mark on it. I like the older blasted Rocky's better than the Rusticated ones for sure. Nice B'day pipe and nice MG. My father had a '54 TD when I was a kid. Neat cars 'cept they were British :p

Looks like you had a blast. I always wanted one of the MG series.

monbla256":8gnuqc21 said:
I have one just like yours I bought in '72 when they were still sandblasted not rusticated as they are now days. It has hallmarks on it as it has a Steling band as yors. From what I have found out from the IPPC the Rocky line came into the line-up in the mid 60's. My pipe was made in 1969 from the date mark on it. I like the older blasted Rocky's better than the Rusticated ones for sure. Nice B'day pipe and nice MG. My father had a '54 TD when I was a kid. Neat cars 'cept they were British :p
I rec'd some input from Mark Irwin, who is writing the new Peterson book. He suggest that is a Rogers Import called the "Sterling Line" and exclusive to the US distributors. They weren't required to have the hallmark stamping on the silver band, so now that makes sense. He suggests the pipe was made somewhere between 1949 and 1969 but the box will help narrow down the time frame. I sent him some pictures of the box and paper work that came with the pipe and wait his reply. Fascinating stuff this detective work!

riff raff":46gs6ep5 said:
Yesterday was my birthday, so the wife and I decided to take a few days touring PA in our '79. This is the first real trip we've taken in the car. Temps were around 90 but we dodged any rain storms.

On Thursday, we drove to the Reading/Adamstown area to peruse thru the antique/flea markets, which we really enjoy. That was a 130 mile trip. The B drove wonderfully. We stayed off the interstates, sticking to back roads and highways.

We had a great dinner in downtown Reading.

On Friday, we drove to Pottsville, PA to tour the Yuenglings factory. The trip home was 130 miles and thankfully we had cloud cover but no rain. We were tired, but thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

We bumped into this gentleman near Pottsville in this '58 TR3. He bought it in 1969 for.... $75. It was pristine. He got a kick out my "Triumph" shirt and that were were driving an MGB.

In all, just about 300 miles were driven in the two days. The only thing that slowed us down was talking to folks who were interested in the car.

Some shots at the Brewery and a winery near by.

Sounds like a great time. My dad's got a few Triumphs and MGs, but not a B. He keeps trying to give me his TR-4, But I would never park it here. I think he just wants me to move to a better neighborhood. :p
ps: Happy Birthday!