Bit protectors

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3604

Reaction score
Can who ever has given bit protectors a good try give me your opinion on them please. I've never really considered them before but I just won a nice hardly used Peterson 68 that came with one.

Does any moisture seep under them?

Short answer: Yes.

There are several threads, I think, on this site that discuss them.  I hated them initially, but got used to them and consider them essential for pipes I want to clench, like when you're driving or sawing down a tree.  Don't bite hell out of them, because your teeth can eventually wear through, defeating their protective use.  Remove them once in a while, rinse off, and rotate to a new position.

Sitting at home, holding a pipe in hand, I never use them.

I never smoke a pipe without one and I like how they feel on the teeth.
You'll find Pro's and Con's on these all day long but, if you want to keep your bits
like new I think it's the only way to go. Beats the hell out of sanding and polishing
specially if your a chewer. Stems can be replaced but, if you have a Dunhill or any other type with a (can't think of the right word now) Logo on it, you'll find it's very expensive to duplicate or it can't be at all.

I only use them on vulcanite stems since sometimes I'm a clencher.
You get used to the rubbery taste, but my big gripe is that it makes the mouthpiece thicker, and therefore a bit uncomfortable if you leave it hanging in your mouth too long.

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately) I'm past the age where I still need a dummy  :twisted: 

And when I really crave something to suck on......I'm married to a wife, much younger than myself  :D 

SpeedyPete":47q3zd50 said:
Unfortunately (maybe fortunately) I'm past the age where I still need a dummy  :twisted: 

And when I really crave something to suck on......I'm married to a wife, much younger than myself  :D 
Yet , your still sucking on that pipe.

Cartaphilus":u4vzsijg said:
SpeedyPete":u4vzsijg said:

Yet , your still sucking on that pipe.

:lol!:   :lol!:   :lol!: 

I have half dozen pipes that I bought as long as forty years ago, and bit through the stems. The bit protectors are cheaper than new stems, plus the pessimist in me frets about ever seeing my old briar buddies again once I've put them in the mail. Yes, it is possible to get spit under them, but I'm not a clencher, so it isn't a big problem. Some pipers prefer heat shrink tape.

I am in love with them. Took awhile to get used to the added girth but I'm totally comfortable with that now.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give them a go. I'm not a clencher (I don't think) and I'm not an every day smoker either BUT I hate seeing any marks on my pipes.

BTW, I just received my (barely if at all) used John Calich. I'll post a photo of it in the pictures forum. I think it will be my new favorite!

beeman86":alb8u79g said:
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give them a go. I'm not a clencher (I don't think) and I'm not an every day smoker either BUT I hate seeing any marks on my pipes.

BTW, I just received my (barely if at all) used John Calich. I'll post a photo of it in the pictures forum. I think it will be my new favorite!
Very interested in seeing one of his works of art, please post a couple of photo's. ;)

I only use them on Vulcanite stems because they are harder and my jaw hurt without them.

They can be a bear to put on a stem if it is wide so I nuked it in the microwave for a little bit to make it more pliable and easier to put on the stem.

Agree that they can be "gerthy" and affects the way I draw on the pipe I think. Plus, I also believe we put a softie bit to protect our stem but it just covers it up at the same time... I have them on two of my pipes.

I'm a clencher and had some pretty good teeth marks in several vulcanite stems which I had removed by a very kind brother. Tried the softy bits, but I just couldn't get used to them. So now I try and clench less and so far it's working.

Cheers,

RR

I am a bit of a clencher as well. I like to have softie's on all my vulcanite or ebonite stems. I don't bother with putting them on the few Acrylic stems I have. It took some time to get used to them, but now they're a must have.

I would say give the bit protectors a good try for wile before you make your decision. I use them on all my pipes, and find they are more comfortable than just the bit. Another good benefit is that if you should choose to sell off a pipe you have a nice clean bite free bit.

I use them on all of my pipes except the cobs.

MisterE":gek6i19x said:
Clay":gek6i19x said:
I use them on all of my pipes except the cobs.
Personally, I think a bit protector is something no cob should be without! ;)
A while back I picked up a handful of extra bits for the cobs in case chewed through one. I guess I'm not a chewer as I haven't put a hole in one yet. I picked up a Forever Stem last year and love it! The stem is thick enough I don't want the extra girth with a softie bit on it, come to think of it, I don't think one would fit. I did pick up some clear tubing at the hardware store to try, but haven't got around to making one up. Now the heat shrink I haven't heard of till now, hmmm.

I've been using bit protectors since day one so I don't have a problem with them because I
don't know any different.