Bitefree Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael drue

Reaction score
Hello BoB´s

Iam interested to read some recommendations for bitefree blends from others.
Also is there anything close to Mick Mc Quaid pipe tobacco?

Greetings
Michael

With virginias, "bite free" is, to me, very much a non sequitur because the preponderance of virginia blends will bite when pushed. Virginias need to be sipped slowly.

Now some puffers have a physical aversion to certain leaf, such as red virginias. Others have a problem with certain processes used to prepare certain leaves as well. And some can't handle humectants, such as propylene glycol.

As for the Mick McQuaid blends, I don't believe there's anything quite like them.

If you're referring to the Plug, I suggest you try Peterson 3P, and the G.L. Pease virginia plugs -- Jack Knife Plug and the Triple Play. All of which greatly improve when cellared for a year or 2.

While not the same in presentation as the Mick McQuaid little square flakes, Peterson's Irish Flake, to me, is similar, but the latter contains a bit more burely and is considerably higher in nicotine IMO. Not like the Mick, but a favorite of mine, is the Peterson University Flake, which is fruity (though not nearly as fruity as Erinmore Flake). Another fine virginia flake and a favorite is Dunhill Flake.

If you can find it in stock, the Esoterica Dorchester from Germain is also a fine choice.

I am very sensitive to the bite so I have had to experiment, pick and choose carefully over the yrs. I have over 40 blends of baccy and the most bite free for me are:

Butternut Burley
1-Q
Prince Albert
Carter Hall
Walnut
Sugar Barrel
Double Eagle (Sterlings)
1776 VP (Sterlings)
Old Dominion (Sterlings)
Penzance
Three Blind Moose
MacBarrens Scottish Blend (if you are careful)

I can't get sutliff's Molto Dulce to bite at all - great smoke.

Well this is a tough one because what doesn't bite me might very well bite you. For instance most burley blends don't agree with my body chemistry but there are a few that I can smoke and I have very little trouble with Red and stoved Virginias but brights tend to give me trouble.

Nonetheless, here are a few that I like to smoke that don't give me trouble -

Mild

1Q
Trout Stream
Grey Havens

Med to Strong

Old Dark Fired
Aged Burley Flake
Grasmere Flake
Storm Front
Oriental Dusk
Haddo's Delight
Odyssey
Margate/Pembroke
FVF
Embarcadero
Silver Flake
Blackwoods Flake

DrumsAndBeer":ipg22m7l said:
Well this is a tough one because what doesn't bite me might very well bite you. For instance most burley blends don't agree with my body chemistry but there are a few that I can smoke and I have very little trouble with Red and stoved Virginias but brights tend to give me trouble.
This for me also. If you like the taste and aroma's of the Burley's I'd stay with strongly Burley based blends and away from either straight Va or Va based blends. If you are one who likes volumes of smoke and are not patient enough to just SIP your smokes SLOWLY, Virginia's are not the direction to go !! Even the smooth "biteless" Red Va's will snap at you if you don't go slowly!! Stay with the Burleys. :p 

Michael, I recommend you try Russ Oullette's Candy Corn at P&C. It's a new blend from Russ and it's a great sweet tobacco with a wonderful tin and room note. Absolutely no bite. An amazing smoke. :) 

AJ

The bite of many blends, maybe most, can be held easily in-check by smoking slowly. Sipping rather than puffing might be a good adage to follow. Try to balance slow smoking with an attention to keeping the pipe lit. If the pipe only smolders, that's good; if it goes out, don't worry, just relight. Far better IMO to relight than to light up your mouth with bite.

4noggins.com_Mike":r715p6c3 said:
The bite of many blends, maybe most, can be held easily in-check by smoking slowly.
Except for VA #1, right? :lol: 

DrumsAndBeer":4nyikjfy said:
4noggins.com_Mike":4nyikjfy said:
The bite of many blends, maybe most, can be held easily in-check by smoking slowly.
Except for VA #1, right? :lol: 
It does appear that Mac Baren's Virginia No. 1 gets a "bites me" from a lot of puffers.

I do enjoy some other Mac Baren blends, but not the Va #1; I much prefer brights such as Gawith & Hoggarth Bright CR Flake and the Orlik Golden Sliced. Mac Baren's Capstan Gold, a bit sweeter, is also tasty.

Apart from smoking too quickly or the lack of tobacco prep, what bites varies from individual to individual. For some, red Virginias bite. For others, burleys bite. Aromatics (for many) are culprits. Some English or Balkan blends bite more than others. It is a matter of individual body chemistry. It can even be a function of the size of the inside of your mouth! My dentist informed me that the inside of my mouth is the smallest he has seen which could explain my past problems with tongue bite. I envy those who can puff away on any blend with no bite whatsoever!
For the rest of us, it is important to take note of which blends are painful and either avoid them or smoke them occasionally.
I like to try different preparation techniques before giving up on a blend. For instance, the Delayed Gratification Technique (DGT) seems lessen the bite of an especially "bitey" tobacco for me. We all have to deal with this problem as the individuals we are. When I learned how to deal with my bite issues, pipe smoking became a real pleasure.

Hello all!
Well thanks alot at this time for your answers.

Well i picked for my personal taste and tounge,

Mc Clelland Blue Mountain Latakia
G&H Kendal Flake
S&G Full Virginia Flake
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
St.Bruno
Capstan Yellow
Dunhill London Mixture

Burleys:Wessex Burley sliced(it doesnt bite but i dont like the blend)
Solani Aged Burley Flake(to strong for me)
Peterson University Flake(was my favorite,but it changed in 2006 since that it was not any longer made by Murrays)
Burley Flake No.2 by C&D good taste but to much nic.(may i revisit this one again)

Any other recommendations in Burleys?

Thanks in advance
Michael

michael drue":zd7io1qa said:
          Any other recommendations in Burleys?

Thanks in advance
Michael
If you're into Va/Burs, Solani Silver Flake 660 is a favorite and 4 Noggins Weybridge is a Va/Bur with a touch of plum Perique. The Weybridge is hand blended and sold in bulk and I find it markedly improves when jarred for 6 mos. to a year.

Well i will try some Weybridge from 4 noggins,may i like it.

Thanks for your comments

Michael

For me nothing bites me as badly as blends with Red Virginia. I can smoke every other type of tobacco but even small amounts of red's feels like acid to my tongue. I think one thing that contributes to bite is when people pack too loosely which makes the tobacco burn hot. I am a firm believer in a tighter pack which makes my bowl smoke cooler with more flavor.