BJARNE pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, fellow Nutmegger!

I've heard good things about Bjarne pipes, but cannot speak from personal experience. I do know for certain that their supply ceased a few years back, as the carver died.

Bjarne Nielsen was a heck of a nice guy, pipe salesman and ambassador of pipe smoking. Unfortunately he passed away in 2008. I don't believe he ever made any pipes himself but contracted with different pipe makers to put his name on for sale. There are many fine pipes around with his brand name but there are some that are not so fine including the one I bought from him in Atlanta about 5 years ago. Here's a link to some info about him-- Bjarne Neilsen

Jim..my ha'pence if that.

PS- A big howdy and welcome to BoB!

Welcome!

Bjarne: Got one in trade from another BoB a while ago. Good pipe, smokes well. Larger and heavier than I typically like but a good pipe nonetheless. I was considering putting it up for sale or trade soon just because I need to make some room in my racks. Stick around, get yourself a few posts to meet trading criteria and maybe we can make a deal.

Welcome aboard Riko! I have no complaints with the few Bjarnes I have owned.

Welcome to the BoB my friend! I have both a lower end and higher end Bjarne. They are both very good smokers.

I believe that the Bjarne hand-mades are what everyone is talking about, because from what I've read online (and experienced firsthand) the Viking line for cheap pipes are just that. Cheap. The one I have smokes wet no matter how dry the tobacco is, how I pack it, or how slow I sip it AND it won't run a pipe cleaner through to the bowl. I love the feel of the pipe in my hand and it was an anniversary gift from my wife, so I'll never part with it, but it isn't my best smoker by far. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has had similar problems or if I just was "lucky" enough to get a lemon.

-Jason

You and I have the same pipe Lordnoble, and mine was a gift from the wife too so it stays. Viking Classic is crap. I'd give one of the handmades a crack but I don't buy pipes with vulcanite stems anymore.

Puff Daddy":hj6kewcv said:
You and I have the same pipe Lordnoble, and mine was a gift from the wife too so it stays. Viking Classic is crap. I'd give one of the handmades a crack but I don't buy pipes with vulcanite stems anymore.
So why not the vulcanite stems Puff Daddy? I find the alternatives, lucite and acrylic to feel weird in my mouth, too hard and rigid, plus to me they collect more moisture.

Puff Daddy,
I have been spying THIS ONE and I'm saving up my pennies and dimes. It's slow going, though.

It doesn't help that I have TAD attacks almost weekly.

-Jason

lordnoble":wrxtmgqx said:
I have been spying THIS ONE
That's pretty cool. The freehand shapes from the 70's get a lot of disdain on the forums, but I rather like them.

Falconer":wrxtmgqx said:
So why not the vulcanite stems Puff Daddy? I find the alternatives, lucite and acrylic to feel weird in my mouth, too hard and rigid, plus to me they collect more moisture.
Aside from the fact that they require more maintenance and are constantly losing against the elements in the oxidation battle, I have an aversion to the taste of the material. Of all the pipes with vulcanite stems I've owned (quite a few), only a couple are still with me. The rest, including some fine English and Danish highgrades, bothered me to the point where I simply wouldn't smoke them, so I sold them. I can taste a bad, old rubber taste when I put vulcanite stems in my mouth, and after a while my lips start to burn. Some sort of reaction to the rubber I suppose. Luckily, I love Castello and Stanwell pipes and have quite a few of each, and don't feel like I'm missing out for the most part. There are a few Danish carvers I so wish I could collect, but alas, tis not in the cards.