Black XXX

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beetlejazz

Reaction score
Figured it might be worth devoting a topic for this one.

I really love G&H Black XXX! I find the taste very soft and earthy, nutty. This is one of those tobaccos I feel change very little if at all in taste during a bowl, which is a bit of a shame, but on the positive side the taste is really rich from the start. I slice it thinly and stuff into my pipe like it was broken flake. Burns down to very clean, light ash.

I've heard this should be a nic-hitter but I don't experience it as such. Yes there's some nicotine but not enough to put me off.

Just comfort in a bowl! :heart:

Nice post, Beetlejazz. Thanks for your thoughts.

I've never tried this tobacco, but I'm seriously tempted to crack open the tin I've had sitting in my tobacco draw for the last 7 years!!!

"Comfort in a bowl" - possibly the best pipe/tobacco related comment I've read - super.

Could only find Black Irish X reviewed :scratch:

It gets some mentions here, FWIW :

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t6103-the-official-gawith-hoggarth-thread

:face:

Dark XX? Black Irish X?

Perhaps it's something not (easily) available to us here in the states.

8)

My mistake.

Just looked in the draw - its Samuel Gawith Black xx snarling down there in the dark.

Still, Beetlejazz, your review has made me want to open this monster up and sample it. I've been shying away from the ropes, but maybe now is the time!

Thanks for the link, Yak. It was a good read - more stuff to seek out and try!

Pro Tip: DO NOT search for "Black XXX" while at work. Whoops. :oops:

Kyle Weiss":0ptsbxzp said:
Dark XX? Black Irish X?

Perhaps it's something not (easily) available to us here in the states.

8)
Perhaps

Samuel Gawith Black XX

Gawith Hoggarth Black Irish X

easy to get the names twisted up for me!

This is a videos about the twists and says that the Black XXX is 25mm diameter. The extra "X" seems to be a size designation, and it appears to be the same tobacco as the Black Irish X. BTW GH Black Irish X is the proper name for this twist that corresponds in size to the Brown Irish X, the so-called "normal" diameter in the Brown. Again, the same tobacco, Happy Brown Bogie and Brown Pigtail, just different diameters.

This is the first I've heard of the XXX, and if I'm right in the above, I'm content with the Black Irish X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uca4bL-yRQ