Blackhorse's New Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I cut a deal with Blackhorse. He agreed to make me a knife and I agreed to make him a Morta pipe.

He held up his end of the bargain by making me a beautiful knife with a custom carved Snakewood handle.

DSCN1399.jpg

I thought it might be fun to do a photo essay to document my process as I hold up my end of the bargain.

1) Mark out the pipe on a piece of Morta (my last one :cry: )

065036.jpg

2) Cut off some of the waste with the band saw

065931.jpg

3) Square off the end of the accent piece and cut off a coin

071713.jpg

4) Square up a piece of Faux Ivory for the stem extension

072203.jpg

5) Glue the accent piece on

073511.jpg

6) Square up the end and drill out the mortise

075401.jpg

7) Drill the draft hole in the Morta

081227.jpg

8) Rotate and drill the tobacco chamber

081844.jpg

9) Start to form the outside of the bowl

084809.jpg

10) Form the stem extension after the epoxy is dry

053524.jpg

11) Form the tenon to accept the stem extension

055616.jpg

12) Glue on the stem extension

061225.jpg

13) Time to work on the stem. Drilling out the draft hole.

055611.jpg

14) 1/16" bit for the last 1/4"

055948.jpg

15) Epoxy the tenon into the stem. I chose Stainless Steel tubing because the shank is so small.

211334.jpg

16) Form the outside of the bowl with a sanding disk

214214.jpg

17) My progress so far

073450.jpg

18) The stemmel is done. Time to shape the stem

152424.jpg

19) Forming the slot

153542.jpg

20) Doesn't look like much now

153850.jpg

21) Clean up the slot with a file

154350.jpg

22) Almost there. Just need to refine the stem and give it a little bend.

160414.jpg

23) Finish sanding and rusticate the bowl with a wire wheel and it's done

093259.jpg

That was very interesting to me. Great pictures and beautiful pipe and knife!

The knife looks great.

The saga of the development of the pipe from the block to the finished article was excellent.

I never thought I would like a green stem on a pipe but it works beautifully with this pipe.

I think you both got a good deal there.

Both items look really great, that's a fine trade. I'd agree with Chris that I'd be skeptical about a green stem on a pipe, but that one there looks beautiful. You both should be very happy with your purchases!

Neat, the process in action! :cheers: It's no secret I'm one of Todd's biggest fans. I'm glad you got such a great knife and turned such a great pipe in return. It looks good with that ivory extension and the green stem, the shape of the bowl and the decorative knots on the stem... super cool. Classic "Harris" shape, too, with a good bowl-flare, and lest we not forget that wonderful delta-shaped draft hole at the bit. It really makes pipes smoke wonderfully.

Excellent job, both of you. 8)

Love to read posts with step-by-step pictorials. Great pipe, too. Thanks.

Sweet pipe and a sweet knife! That looks like a very happy trade indeed. Good on you both!

Really nicely done on both parts. I like a nice drop point knife. And that green sure seems like an odd choice. But as others said. It works. :sunny:

I gotta chime in here. When this thing started out I was going for a Prince and a longer, maybe a tortoise stem...but saw another of Todd's Morta pipes and it had the green stem and it just clicked for me. Then we added the idea of an ivory shank piece and green spacer to repeat the color - and given the green...we changed it to a Dublin. At the end of the whole thing Todd made the comment..."Your little nose warmer is about 4.25" long with a 1.5" bowl." It's hard to tell from photos sometimes, eh? I returned a comment that that made it a perfect 'outdoor pipe' as it would fit in one's pocket with little fear of stress and breakage...and that given it was such a small little character...I'd have to 'dub' it...the Leprechaun! And so it shall be known.

Cute little devil, ain't it? Love the way the ivory shank piece and the stem repeat the shape. Given the green with fine gold swirl in the stem...it's also appropriate for use during Ducks games. Go Ducks!

Ya think Pete's Irish Flake would be right for little Fergus?

PS: I found a Morta color chart and Todd figured the wood was maybe 7,500 years old. I'm thinkin' it's closer to 10,000! Friggin' amazing! My little Paleolithic Leprechaun.

And I've already made a nice stand for it with matching tool set. It's pictured below...with some sneaky Italian having snuck in there in the meantime. lol

Untitled.jpg

I'm almost always lukewarm (at best) to any stem that isn't black. But that green...holy crow does that look spectacular!

Those are both very nice pieces! I love the colors in that pipe and the Snakewood handle on the knife.

I've recently been informed that Mr. Harris will be producing a churchwarden stem to fit this Morta Leprechaun!!! Oh my stars and garters...now THIS will be something for the ages!

Its a well known fact among pipe makers that pipes occasionally talk to you.

Some pipes whisper quietly and you really have to concentrate to hear them.

Other pipes are rude and talk loudly out of turn.

Blackhorse's pipe kept screaming at me. It kept saying "Hey stupid. I want to be a Churchwarden."

And furthermore it wouldn't shut up about it so I had to give in.

071125.jpg

I think maybe it had a point... :joker:

Todd