Blatter & Blatter in Montreal

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djf1

Reaction score
In a recent trip to Montreal I stopped by the Blatter & Blatter shop on Kennedy street. This is a must stop for any pipe smoker, they sell some great in house blends ( love their Danish mixture) and of course their own handmade pipes.Lots of history in that place and lots of eye candy. So in my visit I had the pleasure of meeting Robert Blatter who was gracious and patient with me wanting to see every pipe under the sun! I wanted a great pipe. In my last visit I bought a little bent apple with a brass army mount so we got chatting about the mount which apparently it has historic significance, but he could not tell me exactly how old is it, as it was part of the stock their dad had and he estimated that it was probably purchased in the 30's! At any rate, one pipe really stood out, its price I thought was way north of 200 so along with some tobacco and some great and very cheap bundles of pipe cleaners the bill came to over $300. I did not think of it much, I really enjoyed my visit with Robert and the pipe is stunning to my eyes.
Before going to the shop, I was eying a particular pipe which I did not find in my visit. Given thought that this was the F1 Grand Prix weekend he had quite a few sales and maybe my pipe was already sold.

So the next day I went back to the shop to look for it and buy a couple of more bundles of pipe cleaners as they were sooo cheap! I walk in and Robert tells me, "thank God you are here"! I was like did you find my pipe? He replied that he was looking for me as after I left the store he realized that he overcharged me for my pipe and since I paid by debit card he had no way to credit me, nor he had my personal data to contact me!

Needless to say, I was sooo impressed by his honesty, so I thought I would tell my story to my brothers and recognize Robert and his family. In the 2nd visit I also got to see where the magic happens in the back area, got to see blocks ready to be carved and found about where he gets them. He is extremely happy these days as his secret source from France is getting him some outstanding Sicilian Briar, my pipe is made out of one of them , so he enjoys carving and creating some fantastic pieces.

So I want to say Thank you to Robert for being so honest and for the great time I had in his shop.
My new Blatter, number 56 made in 2011:

Do you have a link to the inventory page? I looked but it looks like the same page I saw on their site years ago.

I have visited Julius Vesz in Toronto a number of times and have four of his pipes. I would like to get some Blatters as well, in support of Canadian carvers : )

Thanks a million for your very interesting post. I live about 20 minutes from Blatter & Blatter on the south shore and I am ashamed to say that I haven't been to the shop yet. I've lived in this area for about 2 1/2 years now and you'd think that would be a long enough time to get myself over there. Truth is, I didn't know they existed until about 4 months ago. So now your post has inspired me to visit the shop tomorrow! The picture of the Blatter pipe you post is sensational! I know they have quite a history in pipe making so I just may have to add one to my collection.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

riff raff":sqc5x89c said:
Beautiful! Were you there for the F1 race?
Thanks Al, yes indeed, I'm an F1 fan for many years and I was able to combine business and pleasure so i got lucky. Well beside getting drenched, It was fantastic!

Airborne":i30tjmis said:
Thanks a million for your very interesting post. I live about 20 minutes from Blatter & Blatter on the south shore and I am ashamed to say that I haven't been to the shop yet. I've lived in this area for about 2 1/2 years now and you'd think that would be a long enough time to get myself over there. Truth is, I didn't know they existed until about 4 months ago. So now your post has inspired me to visit the shop tomorrow! The picture of the Blatter pipe you post is sensational! I know they have quite a history in pipe making so I just may have to add one to my collection.

You are welcome! I still cant believe that you have not gone to that shop!! Just be warned, you are going to walk out with much less money than you walked in! In a way I'm lucky i dont live in Montreal, I would be in bog trouble!

Hey Airborne John: If you go to Blatter and Blatter, better go with a bursting bladder and just visit the pipe smoker's men's room. Leave the wallet and the charge cards home. Otherwise you may have to wear your parachute around the house. Your wife might just throw you and your pipes right out of an upper story window.

How many pipes have you purchased in the last two weeks?

Wow, that was the best race of the year, and I missed it completely!
djf1":hfb5wd33 said:
riff raff":hfb5wd33 said:
Beautiful! Were you there for the F1 race?
Thanks Al, yes indeed, I'm an F1 fan for many years and I was able to combine business and pleasure so i got lucky. Well beside getting drenched, It was fantastic!

LIPIPE":tp8gcn32 said:
Hey Airborne John: If you go to Blatter and Blatter, better go with a bursting bladder and just visit the pipe smoker's men's room. Leave the wallet and the charge cards home. Otherwise you may have to wear your parachute around the house. Your wife might just throw you and your pipes right out of an upper story window.

How many pipes have you purchased in the last two weeks?

Five in the last week, but . . . (there's always a but!) It's been a very long time since I bought any. Maybe 14 years or so. So I've got some catching up to do. My wife's going with me to Blatter and Blatter tomorrow to pull the reins in if necessary! I do sleep with a reserve parachute handy just in case.

You are THE MAN! Young guys better think twice before messing with old guys like us! Good luck shopping.

djf1":z19rqf9q said:
Airborne":z19rqf9q said:

You are welcome! I still cant believe that you have not gone to that shop!! Just be warned, you are going to walk out with much less money than you walked in! In a way I'm lucky i dont live in Montreal, I would be in bog trouble!

True to my word, I made my way across the bridge to the island and found Blatter & Blatter Pipe Shop easily and kicked myself for not going sooner. The shop is small but it was packed with pipes, tobacco, cigars and first rate coffee. It took me about a half hour to pick out about six pipes in my price range to examine closer and another fifteen minutes to come up with the bent wonder (pictured below) that I discovered later is very comfortable and well balanced and easy on the jaw for a bigger pipe.

Blatter & Blatter has been making their pipes in Montreal since 1907 having come from London and then South Africa. I believe there are only three Blatter craftsmen (Robert, Patrick and Pierre) making pipes in the back area of the retail shop. They’re one of the very few family owned businesses both making pipes and running a retail business for that length of time - over a hundred years. I got the 42nd pipe they made this year (stamped 42-11) made by Patrick, the gentleman who actually waited on me.

That’s cool!

Airborne":38lrlz2v said:
Blatter & Blatter has been making their pipes in Montreal since 1907 having come from London and then South Africa. I believe there are only three Blatter craftsmen (Robert, Patrick and Pierre) making pipes in the back area of the retail shop. They’re one of the very few family owned businesses both making pipes and running a retail business for that length of time - over a hundred years. I got the 42nd pipe they made this year (stamped 42-11) made by Patrick, the gentleman who actually waited on me.
Sounds like a neat place, and that's a nice pipe! Congrats.

Very cool John! That pipe looks fantastic and I bet it will smoke beautifully! :cheers:

Wonderful pipe. An old Friend Mel Feldman who was proprietor of "The Smoker" tobacconist in Albany, NY was always fond of Blatter pipes. Mel always had a fine selection of them to choose from, many unsmoked. Some of the "select" grade pipes were a bargain and wonderful smoking with great craftsmanship. thanks for sharing the photos.
Doc

I have been fortunate to visit Montreal, and B&B several times the last few years. I bought one of their less expensive pipes on one trip, and was told they were factory turned bowls, think he said Radice made them, but may be wrong. Good smoker anyway, and a great place to visit.