Blends and input, please...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebiz

Reaction score
My brothers,

I am preparing to make an order for some tobacco in a few days. I am planning on ordering it from 4noggins. Since I've not tried these, I would like your input. I have read about them on tobaccoreviews.com. But, I don't trust what is said there as much as I trust what you gentlemen say!! ;)

The blends that I am considering are: 4noggins' Otter Creek, 4noggins' Three Blind Moose, 4noogins' Lord Methley's, and McClelland's 620 Mocha Black.

Knowing how much I love the McClelland's M55 Georgian Cream that was gifted to me by Petershantz, the descriptions of these blends sound quite delicious to me!! But, being that my purse strings are a bit tight, I hate to waste funds on blends that you gentlemen know not to be very good.

Thank you in advance for any information, experience or suggestions you gentlemen are willing to share with me!!

Robert

I'll throw a vote in for three blind moose,,slightly aromatic burley,,,not complex, easy smoking, light flavor,,,

Thank you for the input, Mark!!

One definitely in the basket... three to go!!! :D

Robert

Sorry VeeViz but I'm not much help with this. I've found about 5 baccy's that I just adore and am not really looking anymore.(just continue to add those 5 to my cellar). My dad always said "once you find something good stick with it or you'll lose track of it in the mix." You can see my fav's on my profile, I'm content with these and seldom look any further. Best of luck with your experimenting. It took me about 40 years to find what I love.
Balky

Thanks for your comments, Balky!! Oh, that my taste buds were as sophisticated as yours!! :cheers: :cheers: But, in due time... maybe they will be! Until then, I can have some fun experimenting!!!

Though I've not been at this long enough to find out what my "permanent" favorite(s) are, I have learned some things from samples that were gifted to me by my brothers. I like the flavors of the Virginias that Natch sent me. And, I like the tobaccos that were gifted to me by Bruins. But, of everything I've smoked so far, the Georgian Creme and Bald Headed Teacher that Petershantz sent me are my favorites.

Based on that information, I have formulated this list of "requirements" when searching for a tobacco. First and foremost, I like a tobacco that burns good without a lot of maintenance. It should also burn cool so that if the nicotine crazed cigarette monster in me sneaks out and puffs a tad too much, it won't blister my tongue so quickly! It should also be a tobacco that is somewhat mild in tobacco taste. I don't care for sharp, bitter tastes. And, it should leave a good smell in the room. This is both for my wife's sake... and, mine! Finally, it should be rather reasonably priced... preferably available in bulk. This requirement is driven by a shallow pocketbook!! ;)

It seemed to me that the tobaccos mentioned in my OP fit most if not all of these requirements. But, I wanted to ask the brothers here for their opinions. They have more experience than me. And, I value their opinions.

But, again I thank you for your comments!!

Robert

Who is BALKY???? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Rob, I have never somked any of those, but balky has a point. I have been introduced to so much baccy in the last year that my head has spun. The crazy part is that they are all good and cant seem to make up my mind what I want to cellar, right now my answer would be everything!!
good luck with this!!!
I't a helluva ride.
Brother BALKY you have big balls man!!!! :albino:

I probably don't have as much experience as everyone else, but I can throw my hat in for Father Orin. I know it wasn't on your list, but it is the only 4noggins blend I have smoked and it was excellent. I think it fits most of your requirements: it is available in bulk, smokes cools and isn't too strong, and has a great room note (my wife actually liked what she smelled of it). It is an aromatic though, I don't know how you feel about that.

beebiz, you're getting a lot of good info here. I sent you what I have smoked so far from 4noggins, with the exception of 'Down by the River' and 'Virginia Squire'. Don't bother buying them right now, I'll send you a couple ounces of each to try for yourself.

Pete

Brother Piet, I very much like your recommendation to cellar everything! As a matter of fact, I'd love to be able to build me a climate controlled cellar for my baccy and fill it with every baccy I come across that sounds good to me! But, I suppose I'd better get my head down out of the clouds and back into reality so I can finish this post!!! :lol:

The "Balky" comes from a discussion that arose in this thread. There was a bit of a debate as to whether it is Hamborger Beermaster or Hamborger Veermaster.

But, thanks to a link to the "Fraktur chart" found here, it was determined that the "B" is actually a "V." If you take a look at the chart, note the very subtle differences between the "B" and the "V." The two letters look so much alike and the differences are so subtle that it would be very easy to mistake one for the other!

In that thread, Valky (the aforementioned "Balky") began this game of swapping out the letter "B" with the letter "V" and vice versa. You know me... I'm as full of crap as he is and am up for just about as much fun!! ;) So, I chimed right in! He and I have allowed the game to overflow here... ergo, "VeeViz" and "Balky."

I'd bet you thought I'd lost my mind, huh?? That's alright... I did... a long time ago!! I used to wast time hunting for it. Then, I realized I was better off without it!!! :lol!:

Lupulus, I spent hours upon hours reading through descriptions and reviews to get things narrowed down a bit. Then you come along. And, you couldn't be happy for me, could you? You just had to torture me some more, didn't you?? Thanks a bunch!! :roll: :roll: Just kidding... the Father Orin sounds like it was made for my order!! And, the "hint of Bourbon and Honey" make it one that I will have to try!! But, it will have to wait for now... along with a list of others!!! ;)

Petershantz speak'em truth... good advise here!! Peter, I thank you for your kind and generous offerings! Both of those sound like they will fit my bill quite nicely! And, I can't wait to try them!! But, I've got a question. In the description of the Virginia Squire, it says, "The result is a sweet and robust smoke that is a pleasure to DGT, and has a wonderful aftertaste." What is "DGT?" Sounds mysterious... cloak and daggerish!!! :shock: :suspect: :D

Once again, I thank you gentlemen for your input! And, Petershantz... I once again thank you for your kindness and generosity!! Regardless of what I order, I'm sure I will enjoy it! And, if I don't care too much for it, I can always pass it on to someone who does/will/might!!

BTW, I found many more tobaccos that sound great at Smoking Pipes. All I can say is OMG!!!! The wish list goes on.........

Robert

DGT = Delayed Gratification Technique

means smoke 1/2 (or some) of a bowl and then save the rest for later. I haven't tried it yet, really, as once I get a bowl going I like to finish it. There are some strong proponents of DGT about, I'm sure they will chime in soon!

petertschantz":sjw5i3l2 said:
DGT = Delayed Gratification Technique
Interesting... to say the least! Sounds sexual in nature! But, I won't go there... or, wait... I just did!! :oops: :lol: :oops:

I've already DGT'ed and didn't even know it!! :shock: It reminds me of the time when I... oops... said I wouldn't go there!! :lol: The three times that it happened (the DGT, that is ;) ), it was getting close to bedtime and I got sleepy before I could finish a bowl. I allowed the pipe to go out, put it away, and smoked it the next morning. In each case, it was quite good the next morning. And, in each case, the balance of the bowl took one match to finish!!

Thank you for enlightening me, brother!! ;)

Robert

petertschantz":kjf801cf said:
beebiz, you're getting a lot of good info here. I sent you what I have smoked so far from 4noggins, with the exception of 'Down by the River' and 'Virginia Squire'. Don't bother buying them right now, I'll send you a couple ounces of each to try for yourself.

Pete
Pete Strikes again!!!!!
Kudos bro!!!

MAN O MAN, are you boys aware of all the KAK talk going on here?????
KAK= Afrikaans for Crap!
:lol!: :lol!:

Piet Binsbergen":bnnrd39x said:
MAN O MAN, are you boys aware of all the KAK talk going on here?????
KAK= Afrikaans for Crap!
:lol!: :lol!:
Here in US, we call'em heap big bullshit speak... ugg!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Robert

My only question is: What is Beebiz going to do when he gets away from aros and discovers VaPers and VA's ????? :affraid:
Second mortgage on the house perhaps? :D

DoverPipes":jdlay3ej said:
My only question is: What is Beebiz going to do when he gets away from aros and discovers VaPers and VA's ????? :affraid:
DP, Natch has already introduced me to VA. I'm trying my best not to like them!! Maybe I won't live long enough for my taste buds to mature and demand them!!! :affraid: And, if I do live that long... this old mobile home won't be of much use for mortgaging. If that time comes, I guess I'll have to get a job working on a street corner... a very, very dark street corner!!! :shock: :shock:

Anyone know the going fine and prison time for prostitution??? :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Robert

DoverPipes":4hw1pyqr said:
Especially when some nut bombs you with some Smokingpipes.com samples and gets you stung out on the best vapers in the world!
McClelland 2015!!!!!
uhuhuuh, uh Dover????