Blends similar to St. Bruno Flake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laherb

Reaction score
I was given a pipeful of St. Bruno at the Richmond Show, and was totally blown away with it. Sadly we can't get it in the states. So, I was wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions for blends similar to St. Bruno? I'm guessing something from the Lakeland area, but there are so many I don't really know where to start.

Abe

Hey Abe...

...I'm not an expert, just found some relevant information that may or may not help...pretty sick and stuck at home with the computer (a dangerous thing 8) ) ...so I did a little leg (finger?) work on the subject...

These were reputed to have similar qualities to St. Bruno, that are easily available here:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Erinmore/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=5555

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/macnavflak.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=macnavflak

http://www.marscigars.com/gh-bosuncutplug.aspx

...all of these were based on blog/site reviews and comparisons, and were only somewhat similar to St. Bruno, but it's better than nothing...

Again, I haven't tried any of them.

I think it might be time for you to do a little research on your own. Go over to 'tobacco reviews dot com' and pull up the Gawith, Hogarth & Co. tobaccos and work your way down the ranks, reading the reviews for the blends listed below. Of course, you will find widely polarized claims from ambrosia to road apples cause your now entering 'the Lakeland District' (it would give you a good feel for things if the theme music from the Twilight Zone were playimg behind Rod Serling's narrative voice)

dee dee dee dum, dee dee dee dum, dee dee dee dum...etc.

You like Condor / St. Bruno. You want more but can't get it. Please go to line nunber three...Blackhorse will help you...

Outside of GH blends try Erinmore.

In the 'Gawith & Hogwarts' line, here's the thing. There are a variety of Lakeland style essences used to flavor (since aroma IS flavor in most cases) these blends. I've seen the following listed: Rose Geranium, Clove, Almond, Anise, Tonquin Bean, Tamarind, etc. Some of the flakes and Ready Rubs fall into a 'strong', some into a 'medium' level of flavor/aroma. The strength of the aroma does not necessarily correspond to the nicotine level as some of these are based on Brown Flake or Best Brown...and some are stronger. Also,
some of these are all VA and some have Burley in them as well. So some of these will knock you on your little nimrod ass. Some are all day smokes.

Anyway...onward...

Strongly scented flakes include Ennerdale (whore's bedroom floral) and 1792 (tonquin...like pre-historic bubble gum).

In the medium camp you'll find Bosun, Coniston, Brown Scented, Kendal and #7 (a ready rub) as examples. Each are a little different. Each has its champions and detractors.

Perhaps the lightest scent is to found in Glengarry.

It's interesting (perhaps) that the makers of this garden of delights seems to consider that essences added at different points in the manufacturing process...are different. There needs to be a flow chart for this! If you put in a sweetener/flavoring agent prior to curing...and then something else is added just before pressing for example they differ in the way they're described, etc. But that matters little to the end user. You either like the product or you don't. The only thing is that even if something is listed as 'unscented' it may have a fairly pronounced aroma/flavor...by virtue of an essence added at a different point in the process.

So if I was the one trying to find the St. Bruno/Condor match...I'd do the following: I'd pick one strong, one medium and one milder entry and see what they were like. For me...they would be Bosun Cut Plug, Kendal Flake and Glengarry (my personal favorite).

Note: if these things sit for 1 - 3 years the scent level goes WAY down.

Note #2: Sam Gawith (the cousin) also has plugs, flakes, etc. that are very like many of the SG blends...but I think the GH line is a little higher quality and tbey are MUCH more available.

So...there. More than you ever wanted to know.

Good luck...and...let us know how things turn out.

Thanks for the suggestion, Blackhorse. I may try that. For some time I've been looking for a substitute to St. Bruno without success.

Of course, I've also seen it suggested that Mixture 79 is an American version of a Lakeland, but I haven't tried it. I don't know if there are any here who would defend that view. . . .

Mixture 79 is an American version of a Lakeland the way the Archies were an American version of the Beatles.

Russ Oulette's Lakeland Brickle (and its full-aroma buddy, Lakeland Brickle Forte) are more faithful US tributes to Lakeland style, but they are very fragrant and flowery compared to St. Bruno. At least to my palate.

I'd side with Blackhorse, and say start with the GH flakes, maybe run from milder to stronger until you hit the winner for your tastes.

Doc Manhattan":1ohv5x8m said:
Mixture 79 is an American version of a Lakeland the way the Archies were an American version of the Beatles.
I'll remember the analogy if I see the suggestion again. :)

I just had another thought which I'll put out there for comment...from those who have tried St. Bruno. What would you say to recommending trying Stonehaven as a stand in? I think I've seen that recommended and what with its dark flake nature and treacle flavoring (raisin/molasses) it might be just the thing. Maybe the Gawith & Hogwarts Lakelands are too flowery.

Thanks guys. Blackhorse, thanks for your thoughts. That sounds like what I need to do. Time to journey into the Lakeland blends!

Abe

Doc Manhattan":yi6il8s1 said:
Yeah, I thought the whole "Jugghead is dead" rumor was pretty corny. :joker: