Blends to help get off of cigarettes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkOfThePipe

Reaction score
Hello all,
I very much want to quit smoking cigs in favor of the pipe, and am looking for advice on a few blends that might help that.

I guess i'm looking for something fairly easy to smoke. (maybe that I could toss into a cob when I feel like it? That way I could not worry about resting briars?)

Are there any blends that are not prone to biting too much, that wouldnt fatigue my palette badly, that are just a simple tasty smoke?

Does anyone smoke like this during the day, at a higher frequency than maybe 3 or 4 pipes per day? Does your mouth get fatigued? Any advice on technique to smoke that many pipes per day? (I know this probably belongs in the technique section, but oh well)

Thanks all

Depending on the blend I reckon anyone's tongue can get fatigued if smoked enough.
I would try straight Virgina's like Dunhill Flake or Capstan to take the place of the cigarette. I too still smoke the dreaded cigarette but, from just smoking a pipe 2 or 3 times a day have cut down from 2 cartons of Camel non-filters a month to one. I've been smoking them for about 30 years so it aint easy for me, if I could just kick the 1st one of the day I'd have it made.
Of course the blend that you like the most might do it for you better if the nic is high enough. Of course if you just replacing one for the other it hardly does you any good unless you don't inhale. But, to kick the cigarettes you'd need to inhale a little just to stop the nic attack.I was lucky enough to find that Escudo was my Holy Grail and it helps a lot because I'd rather smoke it then a cigarette.

Try Dunhill Royal Yacht. To me it tastes like a gourmet cigarette.

My father-in-law managed to quit cigarettes and pipe smoked Clan for the rest of his days. I heard that others also find Clan helpful when quitting the smokes.

Perhaps it's a form of aversion therapy?

Fraternally

Jers

I have never been a cigarette smoker, so I do not speak from experience here. I wonder if Five Brothers or something similar that is high on the nicotine content might make it possible to give up the cigarettes and the inhaling?

In terms of simple basic smoke, we all have different preferences. My goto smoke is H&H Old Companion, and I would describe it as simple and basic.

I smoke more than 3 or 4 pipes a day. There is a certain amount of conditioning going on probably, and you get better with practice at keeping it right at the edge of going out and keeping things cool. If you are puffing like a madman, anything is going to give scorched mouth, "tongue bite," etc.

I suggest GH Dark Flake (Unscented) or Dark Plug (Unscented). There's enough nicotine to satisfy your cravings for a cigarette. The taste is nothing like cigarettes but it does taste very good in a cob. :) 

AJ

Never been a ciggie smoker, but the good Padre's suggestion of 5 Bros seems to be a good one. It's pretty high in nic, and is a shag cut too. So I guess one could do roll-ups with it.

I've tried it in a pipe and find it too strong in the nic dept for me. However I sometimes use it as the top layer to ignite blends that may be moister than I would consider optimal.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Yes, I agree with the high nicotine recommend, and the recommended tobaccos. I would also recommend GH Kendal KY, which I understand is grown from US burley seeds, but grown in Africa. Tropical climes can make for potent tobacco.

But there's nothing to remedy two things about cigarettes.

1. You inhale them. This is tobacco mainlining. The ingredients of the smoke are in your bloodstream in seconds. The critical function of oxygen distribution performed by the lungs is probably the quickest route to nicotine distribution.

Inhaling has to be forgotten, and as it is a habit, you will crave it. Sorry, but breaking an addictive habit must simply be broken. You have to surmount all the cycles of craving but doing one thing: not smoking. If you do, there you go, and it may be thousands of cigarettes down the hatch before you try to stop again.

2. A cigarette can be in your mouth and lit in seconds; nothing else like it. You can smoke them anywhere the antis aren't hunting. So that  urge for immediate satisfaction of your addiction also has to be broken.

I speak from experience as I'm cigarette free now only for a month. I've quit so many times, sometimes for years, but basically I've been smoking cigarettes all my life. We'll see if I can take my own advice.

In the end cigarettes aren't pretty but cigars and pipes are much more forgiving. I've adjusted to not smoking for hours, until I can get to the next pipe. Although I want to inhale I don't.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. . .and me!

Cartaphilus":5jridvde said:
But, to kick the cigarettes you'd need to inhale a little just to stop the nic attack.
Or you could supplement with some higher powered snuff. ;) 

Come to the dark side..:drunken:

PS - MarkOfThePipe, in my humble opinion you have excellent taste in Latakia blends.

It's tough, but be encouraged that a lot of us have done this.

I actually avoided Virginia blends simply because they reminded me the most of cigarettes and that seemed to intensify the craving rather than assuage it.

Instead, I got seriously into English blends and found that filling two bowls at a time helped a lot; either I'd smoke then back to back or, as I learned to savor a pipe more slowly (and was lessening my daily nicotine intake over time) I'd still have the other bowl ready and most tobaccos can stand up to a few hours drying time, even overnight. When the craving hit, the bowl was there and prepping it didn't seem like such a hurdle. Leaving a half bowl at your smoking location -- car, computer, whatever -- helps, too, though your car passengers may not appreciate it at first.

This has the added advantage of giving you practice in filling. Like Pavlov's dog, it's all in the conditioning.

And for a final trick, smoke a cigarette right after a bowl just to taste how rank and single-dimensional most of them are they are by comparison.

I heard that others also find Clan helpful when quitting the smokes.

Perhaps it's a form of aversion therapy?
:lol!: 

5 Bros seems to be . . . pretty high in nic, and is a shag cut too. So I guess one could do roll-ups with it.
It surely is, and you surely could. I did for years.

But Note : It is NOT a simple matter of nicotine replacement (pipe smoke for cig smoke). You can have  pipe going with a chew in your mouth & put it down to light a cigarette. Cigarettes are a whole 'nother affair. There's some other dimension involved that no one seems to have a handle on.

:face:

When I started with the pipe I was inhaling the smoke as that is what I was used to doing. With time, that habbit broke and today it is actually difficult to inhale from the pipe. I don't know if there is a specific blend out there that will help limit you cravings for cigs. Just keep pushing forward and you'll find your comfort zone.

The thing about cigarettes vs pipes is more a matter of personality profiles. If you are a frenetic, instant gratification profile, then cigarettes are always going to appeal to you because as much as it is a nicotine addition, it's also a mental addiction to the act of smoking. You may enjoy pipes while trying to relax, but you are likely not an easy going profile when exposed to the stressors of life. Changing that about one's self is probably the bigger battle than against the nicotine.

Those who smoke pipes but do not smoke cigarettes likely demonstrate a calmer, patient, overall more laid back disposition as a feature of their core personality type. They are most likely less easily shaken, and probably less given to impulsive thoughts or actions.

My opinions on breaking the cigarette habit mirror Alfredos.

You've got to want it, and I don't think you can substitute a Pipe for a cigarette habit, two different animals.

Good luck, If I can do it ANYONE can.

MarkOfThePipe":tosmypvm said:
Hello all,  
I very much want to quit smoking cigs in favor of the pipe, and am looking for advice on a few blends that might help that.

I guess i'm looking for something fairly easy to smoke. (maybe that I could toss into a cob when I feel like it? That way I could not worry about resting briars?)

Are there any blends that are not prone to biting too much, that wouldnt fatigue my palette badly, that are just a simple tasty smoke?

Does anyone smoke like this during the day, at a higher frequency than maybe 3 or 4 pipes per day? Does your mouth get fatigued? Any advice on technique to smoke that many pipes per day? (I know this probably belongs in the technique section, but oh well)

Thanks all
As for trying to use pipe smoking to quit cigs, 'fraid that's really not something that works well. You will need to QUIT CIG SMOKING and smoke your pipe for itself. You'll really find it easier to keep the two activity's separate as they should be. I've done both over the past 40+ years and finally just went cold turkey about 8 years ago. THEN I resumed my pipe smoking.
As for a blend that doesn't bite much is really something that you will have to discover for yourself by smoking different blends to see how they work for you. An example would be , many folks here enjoy MacBaren blends and don't find them to bite. MY experience over the years with most of them is they should be named MacBITE . Just my experience so I couldn't honestly tell to smoke them or not. You'd have to give 'em a try yourself. I could tell you what I LIKE to smoke but these blends might not work for you. My mild and smooth might be your raw and tasteless.
And as for how many bowls a day to smoke, smoke what appeals and works for you remembering the idea is to ENJOY 'em! ( I average 5 to 6 bowls a day usually, but have smoked as few as just one depending on my health at the time or circumstances will allow. Another of those things you will have to work out for yourself! That's the nice thing about pipe smoking, it's such a personally focused thing that YOU are totally in control of . :twisted:

Long time 40 years plus coffin nail user. I literally couldn't quit to save my life. Tried these "e-cig" thingies. Had one in my shirt pocket and occasionally took a hit. Still smoke a pipe BTW. Ran out of RYO tobacco and decided to give the e-cig a good try. That was June 16th. Haven't had a cigarette since. Fairly painless in quitting too (really surprised about that!). When ever I tried to quit before I was one miserable bastiche, both to myself and those around me. Wife didn't even notice I had stopped smoking cigs for a couple of days! Only bad thing is I'm smoking less pipes, only one or two a day, sometimes none! Don't wake up in the morning and rush out of bed to get my first cigarette anymore...might be an hour before I grab a couple of puffs off my e-cig. So I'm not too sure if it is the nic that is the hard thing to get off but all of the additional crap that they put in cigarettes. If you want more info, just PM me. I'm really enthused about these things and finally beating cigarettes!

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for the advice. Sorry to not have said it sooner, but I haven't been on the computer much lately. This is all really excellent advice, and I appreciate it.

shadow_rider84":mipedumj said:
I second the Cornell and Diehl Old Joe Krantz recommendation.
So I didn't get any Old Joe Krantz yet, however I had a pipe full of some
Billy Budd I had aging in my cellar for a little under a year instead of smoking a cigarette today, and that turned out pretty great.