BLO as a pipe finish?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAJ_ile

Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a pipe that I use mostly for fishing, and it had a very glossy finish on it when purchased. I didn't give a lot for it, so its not heartbreaking. anyway, that glossy finish is beginning (has long since begun truthfully) to chip off, and it looks pretty shabby. My question is, after stripping the old finish off, is boiled linseed oil a suitable finish for the outside surfaces of a briar pipe? Why/Why not? I really like the satin finish that a well rubbed BLO finish provides, and the feel of wood treated as such, I have many a rifle finished just this way, its familiar, its comfortable...

Cheers,
Nicholas

I would use olive oil. just put it on it will be absorbed. Give the pipe one two or three coats wipe with a rag done.
after all the residual oil is wiped off you can buff it with carnuba ( but you dont want it shiny). MIKE

Olive oil? I've heard of that and other vegetable oils being used. Maybe Mineral Oil or Walnut Oil as both are food grade. But I'd stay away from oils with petroleum distillates like Danish or Tung Oil finishes.

Blackhorse":wxkuz9t0 said:
Olive oil?  I've heard of that and other vegetable oils being used. Maybe Mineral Oil or Walnut Oil as both are food grade.  But I'd stay away from oils with petroleum distillates like Danish or Tung Oil finishes.
BH you gotta try olive oil its the greatest. I am glad you chimed in as I should of said to stay away from petroleum based oils on pipes. well thats what happens when you get old HOA. MIKE

I have read that olive oil can turn rancid if used on a cutting board, and the recommendation is to use food-grade mineral oil. No idea if this is relevant to tobacco pipes or not.

It's best to use an oil that will cure. I think BLO is one that will cure, so it may be fine, but I don't have any experience with it. Mineral oil will not cure and may sweat out when the pipe gets hot. Olive oil will not cure and may turn rancid. I recommend sanding the pipe down and finishing with a light coat of thinned polymerized tongue oil. It will smell funny for a little while until the oil cures but after it cures you will have a nice matte finish that you can buff if you want.

Good luck.

Todd