Blowfish pipe questions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogbert

Reaction score
I have always wanted a blowfish shaped pipe, but i have yet to find any that is more reasonably priced (<$100)

I was just curious why this is such an expensive shape?
any pipe makers here like to share their experiences with the blowfish shape?

Kyle Weiss":0geecd78 said:
Blowfish are one of my favorite shapes, probably because their popularity is slim and they're tougher to find. I have one Jilsa from a Tinder Box and kind of a proto-blowfish meerschaum. Both were around $100. The best thing you might do is actually call random B&M stores and just ask.

This was the only one I found reasonably-priced was this:

http://www.oldhavanacigar.com/store/catalog/product/view/id/3319/s/neerup-classic-blow-fish/
When I think of a blowfish, I always thinking something less round - with flatish sides. Like this guy:

002-517-0004.jpg

I think ones like that require a good bit of carving and decent amount of skill. Thats probably why you don't see to many in the sub $100 category.

Why? there is a lot of actual hand sanding that goes into one... I've done a few and although I haven't mastered the shape yet.. I enjoy making them.. BUT the wood has to fit the design

james

Kyle Weiss":i5gug42w said:
Blowfish are one of my favorite shapes, probably because their popularity is slim and they're tougher to find. I have one Jilsa from a Tinder Box and kind of a proto-blowfish meerschaum. Both were around $100. The best thing you might do is actually call random B&M stores and just ask.

http://www.oldhavanacigar.com/store/catalog/product/view/id/3319/s/neerup-classic-blow-fish/
I would say that this is not a blowfish. The pic that Dave left is definitely a blowfish.

Generally, the blowfish is characterized by asymmetry, 2 panels on either side of the bowl with a strip running the vertical axis of the pipe creating the appearance of a blowfish. There's a good deal of history behind the blowfish and there was a great article about it in Pipes and Tobacco magazine not long ago. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it on their website.

Here's a good summation of what makes a blowfish a blowfish.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Blowfish

I, too, love this shape, but don't own one yet. I've only seen 1 in person and, when executed well, it's stunning.

...oh, so it's asymmetry rather than shape?

From what I was reading/seeing on random (other) forums, the more angular/straight-sided and off-set shapes were a more contemporary design than the original "puffer fish" shape--all of which were supposed to expose the grain in a particular way.

The Jilsa I have is very much a blowfish, so I guess I just have one.

I hope it doesn't turn into one of those discussions...

...:lol: Hopefully more articles will surface and get posted to inform and educate. My mileage always varies.

8)

I have to say, that while I can appreciate the beauty and art in the pictures of the pipe I posted, its not really for me. I prefer symmetry and more classical shapes. Give me a nice thick-walled billiard any day!

Dave_In_Philly":4iyeq6j6 said:
I have to say, that while I can appreciate the beauty and art in the pictures of the pipe I posted, its not really for me. I prefer symmetry and more classical shapes. Give me a nice thick-walled billiard any day!
Wuss. :p

8)

This shape much like the volcano is mostly executed in finest slabs of plateau briar ...Got so caught up in the analysis almost forgot the other less tangible reason ”Collectability”

Greg Pease's thoughts:

http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Shapes/Blowfish.php

...some (what I, and others) might consider, "classic blowfish" --

J. Alan:

J.-Alan-Classical-Blowfish.jpg

C. Manz:

527446839_d74f866326.jpg

...not to confirm or deny anything, just some cool shapes.

Much of what I figure is there's a fine line between "classic" blowfish and "brandy" and "tomato" shapes, and can kind of cross into the realms of one another. Whether or not this is proper, I don't know.

All I do know is I like the rounded shapes, and if they're offset with angles, panels and some form of asymmetry, especially that which shows off various grain, I'm a big, big fan!

8)

Kyle Weiss":c9x85gk3 said:
...oh, so it's asymmetry rather than shape?

From what I was reading/seeing on random (other) forums, the more angular/straight-sided and off-set shapes were a more contemporary design than the original "puffer fish" shape--all of which were supposed to expose the grain in a particular way.

The Jilsa I have is very much a blowfish, so I guess I just have one.

I hope it doesn't turn into one of those discussions...

...:lol: Hopefully more articles will surface and get posted to inform and educate. My mileage always varies.

8)
Haha! Not just asymmetry. If that were the case, every pipe Meigurs Knets makes would be a blowfish.

I've seen some pipes that have a line running from shank to rim that call themselves a blowfish, and I have to disagree. It would appear that the J. Alan you posted, while freaking gorgeous, would be impossible for me to consider a blowfish. That being said, Jeff Gracik knows more about pipes than I do. So...

Those pipes in Greg Peace's collection are definitely blowfish, in my book.

Kyle Weiss":sp252vah said:

Thats a fair price, I just don't like the black coating (looks like they fell in tar).

The pipe Dave showed is more to my taste, but that Alan pipe is nice.

002-517-0004.jpg

this is what im talking about! Holy crap that's a beautiful pipe.

i understand that high quality briar is needed to achieve the beautiful birdseye/straightgrain seen in a blow fish, but i would imagine you could still make the shape regardless of the grain. i mean, why cant they make them cheaper with random grain patterns (as most pipes have), or even sandblast and/or rusticate them if the grain looks sub par?

part of the beauty is from the grain, but the asymmetrical design also has a beauty of its own.

I love blowfish pipes, no matter what the laymen (me) or others might call them. I'd be happy to own any of them. 8)

kyle i would love to see your Jirsa blowfish.

what model number is it?

No idea what model it is, just has three stars and "Jilsa." Got it for a steal because there was a small, insignificant ding on the bowl:

(far left)

6351603704_3feacf644a_z.jpg