Bluegrass Pickers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centurian 803

Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack the Favorite Groups thread but noticed several bluegrass musicians chimed in.
If you play bluegrass what instrument do you play and how often?
Maybe we could start a cyber bluegrass band on the BoB.
I play mandolin and a little (very little) fiddle. Use to play a couple of times per week but a lot of my picking buddies died and I hardly ever play now.

LoL. My family reunions always just turn into a HUGE bluegrass festival, as most of my family plays/ sings it. My biological father has 9 brothers and sisters, most of whom make music. So you could say it runs deep in my blood.

I play guitar, bass, piano, mandolin, autoharp, ukelele (however that's spelled), some fiddle (though not well), harmonica, and I sing. I think I play the actual harp and the clarinet too, but I'm not sure. :p Occasionally I've been known to also rock the kazoo.

:lol:

We should make a BoB band. It should be called BoBoB (Band of Brothers of Briar).

Well I've never been in a Bluegrass band but I do play the guitar, acoustic and electric.
I've have listened to a lot bluegrass over the years, I love Del McCoury and Steve Earl also Tony Rice sure could burn it up.

Guitar and very little fiddle. Traded an Alvarez guitar for a Romanian made fiddle a few years ago at the Galax, VA Old Time Fiddler's Convention. Pick it up every now and then. My grandmother played claw hammer style banjo. I have mostly played with friends and in a couple of worship bands. I don't have a natural ear for it so I have to work hard at it. Mostly enjoy just sitting around the house and jamming, though I have had the privilage of jamming with some incredible musicians at the Fiddler's Convention in Galax, VA. Galax is considered the Bluegrass Capital of the world and my dad grew up there. I lived there as a very young lad. Bluegrass is in the blood!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6TzeUAe4LXk" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LoL. I imagine our BoB band would look a little like this.

I wish I could play Bluegrass! My fingers aren't fast enough!

There's a program that my local PBS station runs on Saturday night called "Song of the Mountain". It's a really good show, that features groups playing the Lincoln Theatre in Marion Virginia.

I'll occasionally pick up my guitar or mandolin and try to follow along...to no avail.

Mike

Whether it is lack of perseverance or skill, the only instrument I have played with a band is the kazoo. I do however play bluegrass on my turntable and my cd player. LOL

My hearing is not what it once was so I wouldn't trust my ability to sing on key. When younger I used to line out bluegrass, folk, and gospel lyrics when we had after-hour kitchen parties. The musicians played different styles of music, but all "knew" how to play the "tunes" involved, but generally didn't remember the words. Besides my songbook was kind of eclectic, it was fun teaching young guys "The Frozen Logger" by the Weavers.

But I will be glad to make up part of the audience, or even function as a not very strong "roadie". :D

I play Bluegrass rhythm guitar, some simple solos, and sing.

I put on a Bleugrass show once a month in a local small/obscure venue.