Bob's Chocolate Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score
A while back , Good ole Doc watson sent me some Bob's Chocolate Flake.

I sorta liked it at the time, but I'm not a huge fan of Lat's, and I can taste it , just a bit, in the BCF.

But, for about the past week, I have been going to it for my evening smoke.
Its really growing on me . Which is a good thing.
The latakia in it doesnt seem to bother me much, and I almost think I am starting to like it. (the Lat)

So, we'll see how it plays out, but heck, Doc may have not only introduced me to BCF, he may have helped me to step into the Latakia world.

So, I've been wanting to try a chocolate mixture. I assume the room note is, dare I say it, Chocolat-y? Also it's funny I never saw the connection with Lats and chocolate as I've noob-assumed that all sweets would be Cavendish and VA based. LEarn something new everyday!

To me, BCF (once a favorite of mine) doesn't really have much, if any, chocolate or cocoa essence. The same is true of the Sam Gawith mayor's Collection one.

If you want a Gawithian blend that has a good cocoa essence, I'd suggest Gawith & Hogwarts Scotch Flake (also called Scoth Flake Scented, I guess they're the same thing). Sometimes it's rather hard to find...you know the drill.

i picked up a tin and wasn't wowed by it the first smoke. not very chocolatey in any way IME. haven't touched it since, but i will try it again based on your "it grows on you" recommendation.

doody.

I have just been getting into a sample of BCF that shane sent me and am really enjoying the experience.... The cocoa is subtle, but I have been getting a hint of it here and there as a nice compliment to the lat. the vas add sweetness and body with the burley's balancing everything out.

This has the balance of good bar-b-que. smokey, but not too much, sweet, tangy, and a hint of somethig that just sets everything off. that is what the chocolate is there for. (seriously, add some cocoa powder to your favorite bbq sauce or do a cocoa dry rub on some lamb chops before putting them over the coals... it will blow your mind)...ok... I am goind to have to fire up the grill tonight.

OK - who knows? The Scotch Flake Aromatic (Scented) is supposed to have Cocoa...and I've got this giant bag of G&H labeled Scotch Flake (no mention of Scent or Aro or whatever) and it REEKS of Cocoa...in a very good way. Not like an aromatic at all, but like Perique musty and cocoa bottom...like crazy. And it smokes like a dream. Smooth, dry, cool, long and clean. The strength is like Rum Flake...so Best Brown level? And I see reviews that say they have found the same...regardless of the labeling it's the same product. I don't know. Maybe it's just a mis-label. The Gawith boys have never been known to do that though...right? :roll:

Anyone else that knows more, chime in. Puffer? Anyone?

I smoked BCF one time and jarred it up for another day,after reading this post Ill give it another try soon though

Haaahaaaaahhhaaaaaahahaaaaaaaahaahaaaahahaaaaaaa!!!

Oh please! STOP! That's totally priceless! Let me catch my breath for a second. Whew! Oh my.

There. I'm better now. Whew.

When I went to the site via the link...and found the recipe...

Chocolate Manhood Tobacco

1 part latakia
2 parts Lane 1Q or other black cavendish

(I love the 'or other' aspect

Blackhorse":dib8zw8i said:
Haaahaaaaahhhaaaaaahahaaaaaaaahaahaaaahahaaaaaaa!!!

Oh please! STOP! That's totally priceless! Let me catch my breath for a second. Whew! Oh my.

There. I'm better now. Whew.

When I went to the site via the link...and found the recipe...

Chocolate Manhood Tobacco

1 part latakia
2 parts Lane 1Q or other black cavendish

(I love the 'or other' aspect
When I first started hearing of the stuff I had to check it out for that reason alone---it's a very funny name. As well, cocoa/chocolate and latakia seemed an unlikely combination at the time. Today I buy it 8oz at a time.

The subject of this thread has sparked some curiosity about BCF as I now want to try it for comparative reasons. If BCF and Boda's C/M are similar, I wonder if the latter was created to either rival BCF or because BCF had limited availability.

Having smoked my fair share of BCF (in which the Latakia is very, very light...and the base VA of a high quality...rather like Best Brown) there is no way in the world that a recipe of 50% Latakia and 50% sweetened and PG's and flavored up black cavenish will be on the same planet in any way, shape or form. The level of similarity would be equivalent to a solid Rib Eye steak, grilled with a Mesquite rub...compared to a Hostess Cupcake.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not dissin' the CM 50/50 blend...I LOVE those cupcakes! But the component tobaccos are totally different, as is the final form. And re: the thing of whether it was developed as a stand-in for BCF...no. Cause it isn't. It's another blend recipe that someone concocted cause they thought it would be tasty...and it likely is...so it lived to see the light of day.

Hmmm. I wonder what a 50/50 blend of 1Q and blending Perique would be like. :mrgreen:

Well, actually, lately Ive been trying to find the chocolate in it. I think its there, but its real light, the Lat is real light too.

DustyRoundup":jkd9qdky said:
Well, actually, lately Ive been trying to find the chocolate in it. I think its there, but its real light, the Lat is real light too.
I ordered a small bit of this after hearing all the rave reviews myself. I'm NOT a big latakia lover atm, but this seems to have just about the right % of it for me. The chocolate is in the background. Maybe a little time in the jar will bring it out a bit more? Thus far this is my go to latakia blend, rofl. I guess that shows how much I enjoy the lat so far....

Scott

Scott - time in the jar will not bring out the cocoa essence of BCF...just the opposite...it will slowly fade. Like many of it's Gawithian brothers and sisters the longer it sits the more of its scent volitilizes off...or whatever process is going on. It might get smoother, but the tradeoff is less aroma. I find 1792, Ennerdale, Firedance, etc., etc., etc., to do the same thing. It does give you an option of choosing what to emphasize - do you like the flavors or do you prefer to focus on the goodness of the underlying blend? One of the great things about these blends is that they ARE based to super high quality leaf, etc. I kind of like 'em at maybe 6 months to a year. Whatever.

Blackhorse":zj404vdk said:
Scott - time in the jar will not bring out the cocoa essence of BCF...just the opposite...it will slowly fade. Like many of it's Gawithian brothers and sisters the longer it sits the more of its scent volitilizes off...or whatever process is going on. It might get smoother, but the tradeoff is less aroma. I find 1792, Ennerdale, Firedance, etc., etc., etc., to do the same thing. It does give you an option of choosing what to emphasize - do you like the flavors or do you prefer to focus on the goodness of the underlying blend? One of the great things about these blends is that they ARE based to super high quality leaf, etc. I kind of like 'em at maybe 6 months to a year. Whatever.
I definitely prefer the blend. It's a real winner in my book as far as lat blends go. The "chocolate" is just an added bonus, imo and even if it wasn't there at all this would still be a quality blend.

I didn't realize that the flavorings dissipate over time in storage, thanks for that tidbit. Ill have to keep that in mind for future cellaring ideas ....

Scott

I succeeded in taking the day off, after shoeing 42 horses last week. Kinda sore and tired.

So, not being in a rush this morning, I loaded a pipe with some BCF for my morning chores outdoors.

It was calm and sunny, (been snowing and raining all week) the birds were out, the air was crisp, but not too cold, felt just right on my sore arms.

I couldnt have made a better choice in my morning pipe .(usually Va's)

That Bobs Choc Flake was "PERFECT" ! I dont know when Ive "enjoyed" a smoke so much.
I think I am going to have to order more.