Bombed with a King Erik Acorn!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_In_MO

Smoker of Fine Aromatics
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I got home this afternoon, and found this package on my doorstep!
(addresses & tracking #'s removed for personal privacy rights and pics taken after box had been opened by me)

packag11.jpg

Knowing full well that I hadn't order anything from Mattia lately, I was surprised and intrigued. :D

Upon opening the box, I found a Box and a note from Mattia himself. :shock:

box10.jpg

note10.jpg

The note is (allegedly) clearing Mattia of this act. Who was responsible for this strike? I don't yet know. :scratch: The note does say 'Friends', so this only adds to the mystery and complexity of the situation.

Upon opening the box, Holy Crap! - a Beautiful King Erik Acorn! Not just the pipe, but in the original box and original pipe sleeve! I absolutely love the combination of Smooth and Rustication on this pipe. I'm going to try it out in just a few minutes! :cheers:

side110.jpg

side210.jpg

While I don't know who sent it, I would like to personally Thank the Brother (or Brothers) who sent this. It is greatly appreciated and will be cherished for many years to come. I'll report back later on how it smokes.

At first I was undecided as to a tobacco selection for it, but Brother Kaiser sent me a tin of Dan Tobacco - Milonga. I've never tried this blend, but as drooling while reading the description "a blend of sweet Virginia grades and extra smooth Black Cavendish seasoned with Caramel and Vanilla for a lingering aromatic smoke". Yup - I'm sold! Thanks again, Kaiser!

Let's see here: Pipe from Denmark, Tobacco from Germany, works for me! Now I have to get busy. :twisted:

Thanks, Brothers!!! :cheers:

kudos and megga dittos and all that jive,,, well played gentlemen/man/woman

Well, had my first smoke with it about an hour ago. I didn't mention earlier that it is an estate pipe, but it was professionally cleaned and beautifully restored by Mattia. My pee-poor pics do it no justice!

It smokes wonderfully, right up there with my Petersons and my Savinellis. I could detect only the slightest amount of ghosting from the previous owner, but it was ever so slight. Definitely not enough to present a problem to anyone who would've smoked it for the first time.

The Milonga by Dan Tobacco was great. It's a high quality aromatic that delivers what it promises (Caramel and Vanilla) without being too sweet or goopy. This is quite tasty, never overbearing, absolutely no bite, and could easily be an all-day smoke. Did I mention it leaves on hell of a room note?

The combination worked well. The pipe performed like a true Champion! The draw was perfect, no gurgling or moisture buildup, and once lit smoked well all the way to the bottom. Due to the thick walls, heat was not a problem either. I can see why Mattia talked this pipe up on his website (before it sold), it is truly a well made pipe. The stem is tight and has no previous tooth marks and no filter. I've looked very closely at this pipe with a magnifying glass and have found absolutely no visible fills, scratches, or nicks - Mint Condition for an estate pipe. I'm not sure when this pipe was made, but it is quite the smoker and was done right. Obviously the company that made them knew what they were doing. I'll have to start keeping an eye out for these.

Thanks again to whoever sent this pipe to me - it's a Champ!

That's a VERY sharp pipe. At least one of us here likes ya,,, :lol!:

Rob_In_MO":8i489a1x said:
mark":8i489a1x said:
At least one of us here likes ya,,, :lol!:
And that's pushing it! :mrgreen:
Hey, hey now, at least 2 darn it all. Wait do I like you or use you as a guinea pig for aros? Nope must be a friends because I tried Milonga first. Kudos to whoever sent the pipe we done mini-bombed Rob, he must be having flashbacks.

Congratulations, you lucky man!! And well done to the brothers who were responsible for this lovely act.

I must have looked at that pipe a 100 times but could not make up my mind. So, now you are the happy owner of one super pipe.

I love you all, my brothers of briar. :cheers:

kaiser83":emsj65i9 said:
Wait do I like you or use you as a guinea pig for aros?
Ah, now that explains the Bio-Hazard stickers on the box. :affraid:

Seriously, it was quite a surprise to receive the pipe yesterday. I already had a heads-up on the Tobacco, so luckily I was already on Defcon 3.

SpeedyPete":emsj65i9 said:
I must have looked at that pipe a 100 times but could not make up my mind. So, now you are the happy owner of one super pipe.
Not just you, Pete, I saw it too but at the time I thought it wasn't in the cards. Apparently it was.. :cheers:

Nice, nice pipe ! And that Milonga sounds like an interesting smoke !! Coud'nt have happened to a nicer brother :p

Well, just finished my 3rd smoke in the King Erik Acorn. It performs wonderfully and I couldn't ask for more. Cool to the touch, well balanced, and requires very few (if any) relights.

I've yet to have it act up, and no gurgling even with a goopy blend (tried as an experiment). At the end of the day, it's hard to go wrong with a well engineered pipe.

Pretty soon we're going to have thrice-removed bombings of guys paying off other guys so to launder and obfuscate a bomb's source...that's pretty wicked. :lol:

Well played to the bomber, undoubtedly smiling in the faint glow of a computer screen, sly grin and rubbing clasped hands. You insidious, good beast, you.

Nice pipe, Rob. Go put some Erinmore in there.

8)