Bones Brigade: An Autobiography documentary - skateboarding

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I like Stacy Peralta's doc film style a lot. Dogtown and Z-Boys brought tears of joy and family. Really beautiful stuff that resonates greatly in my life and memories. I cannot wait to see this. (would like to grab a couple of the reissue decks as well). Check out the great trailer.

http://bonesbrigade.com/preorder/

www.imdb.com/title/tt2129928/

If you grab the free download of Animal Chin, they give you a stencil set so you can go spraypaint the town. I never did that kind of thing, but stenciled symbols on buildings and sidewalks does bring back some smiles. Kind of like the hobo symbols speaking to other hobos and creating culture and community.

an acquaintance of mine puts a lot of work into this blog. if you like old hardcore and skate music, maybe you'll find something you'll enjoy.

http://bloggedquartered.blogspot.com/

"Skaters, by their very nature, are urban guerrillas. They make everyday use of the useless artifacts of the technological burden and employ the handiwork of the government/corporate structure in a thousand ways that the original architects could never dream of."
-Craig Stecyk

"Considering skateboarding as a mind-body activity and relating it to Yoga and Taiji can allow insight into the less than obvious internal processes at work. It is not sheer athleticism—strength, endurance, etc.—that make a good skateboarder; a good skateboarder must be a master of balance, focus, perseverance, creative ingenuity, and fear management. It takes heart and vision (and a good sense of humor) to ride a skateboard, not muscle. Cultivation of the heart and vision are among the primary intentions of a traditional mind-body activity, and they do not involve a painstaking enhancement of the ego, but quite the opposite. Skateboarders have as much to learn about the physical aspects of their craft from these ancient disciplines as they do about the internal, mental, and spiritual aspects."
http://arthurmag.com/2008/05/04/skateboarding-as-a-mind-body-practice-greg-shewchuks-new-arthur-column-debuts/

Cool. My better half was an avid skateboarder back in the day, and many of my friends still skate frequently (even though they're *cough* old)... :lol:

...ever hear of "Anti-Hero?" Cool company with a hilarious marketing scheme.

8)

Animal (Emerson) Chin was my scout troop's Assistant Scout Master and bus driver. :D

I quite skating when I started fighting, I just could not get injured that often. But many I still love to watch. I was very good friends with Ray Barbie you used to come to my church. He was one of the early bones street skate stylists.

I look forward to this doco

long live the skaters

rev

said to be now on Netflix.

I think Ray Barbie played guitar in a band with Tommy Guerrero. If so, it wasn't that long ago.

Watched it once by myself, and watched it again with my oldest skating cohort. I was disappointed. I felt like I was being sold on something rather than being told about something. A lot of that has to do with how Stacy Peralta came off as really phony. It's been argued that it was his movie about his company, so it is understandable why his interviews looked forced and almost disingenuous. They came off as scripted/acted/not entirely sincere/manipulative, and I don't care if the cause was a conflict of interest and his own confusion. I understand his position in the film, but I don't find it a good reason for someone who isn't an actor, or at least not a very good one, to fake crying and make these goofy gestures.

Mullen makes a lot more sense now. Like that guy even more. Should have given him more interview time (or his own short doc). Philosophical and profound. Clearly a savant of some sort.

I learned a lot. I'm not sorry I watched it twice. Maybe the conflict of interest was enough to make it a lesser doc than the one about Dogtown. The vibe wasn't as pure with this one.

looking for these decks. any condition. If you have one to trade or sell, please get in touch.
Town & Country "Quad"
Madrid Beau Brown "Inca" baby blue (Inca is what I called it)