Boswell Northwoods

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raybuncious

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a similar bulk tobacco that is like Boswell's Northwoods? or a blend recipe?

Wish I could help, but I haven't tried Northwoods yet. Is Boswell out of stock?
From the reviews it seems some liken this to a stronger version of Frog Morton.

Only smoked it once, but I recall thinking it was akin to Frog Morton.

I wouldn't call it an exact match, but I find Northwoods to be similar to McClelland #5110 Dark English. I like Northwoods and 5110 and don't really like Frog Morton much, but that might just be my weirdo pallet.
Mike.

Thanks, guys. I will try the 5110. Love the Northwoods, but the price is giving me tongue bite.

I'm usually not worth a hoot at these 'baccy comparisons. I've tried to pry a bit of info on his blend from J.M., but he ain't very obliging!!!! :) NW is a very fine English with (I think!!) either a very sweet Ginny Weed or a nice sweet Cavendish (my guess!) as a component. It's somewhat like FM to me. I don't smoke DH 965; other's who do have told me the two are similar. Haven't had #5110 in so long I can't say one way or the other. Not sure this has helped!!! FWIW :suspect: FTRPLT

ftrplt nailed it, the black cavendish is the key in Northwoods. JM uses it in almost all of his blends it seems. I smoke 965 daily, the brown cavendish is to my liking. I prefer MM965, it has a little more leathery latakia and it smokes a lot better. Northwoods can be somewhat coarse compared to the fine ribbons of MM965.

riff raff":jp7ce9u3 said:
ftrplt nailed it, the black cavendish is the key in Northwoods.  JM uses it in almost all of his blends it seems.  I smoke 965 daily, the brown cavendish is to my liking.  I prefer MM965, it has a little more leathery latakia and it smokes a lot better.  Northwoods can be somewhat coarse compared to the fine ribbons of MM965.  
This is what I was going to say. 965 or Peterson's Old Dublin. Though, I don't think you can find either any cheaper than Northwoods.

Edit: I wonder what would happen if you mixed a little of McClelland's 600 (Special Black) with 5110 or even with 2050.

Thanks, guys for the input. I am going to give some of these a try. I have to hand it to the Boswells for making some great pipes, some great tobaccos, and for just plain being able to sustain a living from an artisan shop like theirs!! Being a novice at pipe smoking, as I started in October and I only have 15 pipes now, I just can't identify that woodsy, high note that I like in Northwoods. Is it really the cavendish? Hmmmm...

raybuncious":izddeb76 said:
I just can't identify that woodsy, high note that I like in Northwoods.  
That sure sounds like Latakia to me. What else have you been smoking?

(also 15 pipes in 1 month?!? :shock: )

Al - the wonderful brown Cavendish in DH 965 is probably based on Virginias. Most American Cavs are burley, so I would guess that is the case with Northwoods.

hp
les

:shock: :shock: a Joe Case blasted poker, 2 estate Dunhills, 1 Peterson army mount, an estate Tinderbox Pot shaped, a free Stanwell bent stem, a canadian estate, a Swiss hunter, 6 estate pipes($10 for all), and a carve your own drilled briar block. :shock: :shock: 8)

:cheers: :cheers: LJ Peretti's-Dundee, 500,333,432, Wild Cherry, Cherry Cavendish, D-9575, D-9507; Lane Burley Bright No Bite, Lane Very Cherry; Mississippi River, Rattrees Brown Clunee, Orlik Gold Slice, Boswell's Cherry Smash and Northwoods, Gettysburg Brigadier Black (Peach), Sutliff Molte Dulce, Frog Morton-on the pond, and Cellar, Havana Club Latakia, Havana Club Cavendish, and last but least SuperValu Whiskey Cavendish. :roll:

raybuncious":dznklh7h said:
:shock: :shock: a Joe Case blasted poker, 2 estate Dunhills, 1 Peterson army mount, an estate Tinderbox Pot shaped, a free Stanwell bent stem, a canadian estate, a Swiss hunter,  6 estate pipes($10 for all), and a carve your own drilled briar block.  :shock: :shock: 8)
Welcome to the fold. Seems the little buggers multiply on their own at times eh? :p

When you smoke the Frog Morton or Mississippi River, do you find any of that element that you are looking for? Both of those also have Latakia in them.

More of that high note from the Frog Morton and the Northwoods. It could be different kind of Latakia?

The flavor that you are getting from FM and Northwoods are most definitely a result of each mixture as a whole and not a specific kind of Latakia.They both contain Latakia from Cypress. However they are also both on the sweet side of the flavor spectrum, Northwoods more so than FM. For sweetness, Northwoods relies of a healthy dose of sweetened black cavendish where FM relies on a naturally sweet matured VA component.

Almost all of McClelland's Englishes are on the sweeter, mellower side of the spectrum. I would imagine that the Latakia they use has a bit of age on it as well, as the smoke flavor in their Lat blends is usually quite tame and well nuanced, almost muted.

Northwoods is an anomaly in the world of Latakia blends. It's a great example of a hybridized American style aromatic. It has some of the richer flavor character of a bigger Latakia mixture, tempered by the sweetness of an quality aromatic.

Frog Morton relies on tobacco flavor more than an added sweetening agent and is a good gateway mixture for anyone looking to explore the world of English blends.

You could always try cutting some Peter Stokkebye Luxury English, which already contains Black Cav with a bit more of it. Although I highly doubt finding an adequate NW replacement will be that easy..

I temporarily solved the problem and ordered another pound of Northwoods. It would be really fun to try to blend my own though.

Yep, I am thinking that I am liking the Latakia. Ordered some variations on that to try. McClellands 5110, Pirate Kake, and trying a blend to start with:

4 parts latakia
4 parts red virginia
2 parts black cavendish