Boswell Pipes-Pros and Cons from those that know

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chailover

Reaction score
Hi all,
Am looking to possibly pick up a Boswell at some point in the future. I'm curious to find out from those with experience with their work as to what recommendations you'd give them. Or not. Also, and please forgive me for this, but what is a B&M? Thanks in advance!

You can't go wrong with a Boswell. A B&M is brick & mortar....any tobacco shop you can walk into to buy your tobacco products.

I own 7 of them. I have one that is finicky, a bent brandy that smokes hot and wet. I have no idea why. All of the others smoke cool and dry unless I screw that up. I live close and typically drive by there once a month for a meeting for work and stop in on my way home.

Dollar for dollar I feel you get a nice hand made that was not cranked out of a mass production shop. They are great people as well.

Good luck.

I have 4 Boswell's, and I am very pleased with all of them. :cheers:

JM has a unique style, if you like that you will be pleased. They do take a while to break in, but once done, they smoke well. Some folks have issue with their stems, but I had none (had an acrylic and vulcanite, rare for JM) If you can't visit the shop, and have to buy online don't be discouraged. For the few pipes he lists weekly that are snapped in in minutes, he has several similar shaped pipes on the wall. I visit there with some frequency and have snapped pix of wall pipes to send to members looking for a Boswell. Just PM me with the shape you liked and I can scope out the wall for you. Visit the shop if you can, you won't be disappointed. If you live nearby, I'd be happy to meet you there. They have a wonderful lounge.

Boswell's pipes tend to be big heavy and somewhat unsophisticated. I like mine a lot, but I wouldn't recommend them to someone as a first pipe. I think Boswell's sells them for a fair price, but I don't think they are worth the premium they sell for on ebay.

An artisan, moreso than an artist, IMHO, I love my Boswells. I have some lighter ones and some heavier ones, but enjoy smoking them all. Handmade at factory prices; aesthetic appeal is always personal.

I love my 2 Boswells. Sophisticated they are not, but they smoke very nicely.

I do agree with Riff raff in that they take a bit of time to break in. My Freehand craggy plateau billiard was as stubborn as a mule. It has a tremendously wide-open draw but as long as I remember to pack it a bit tighter than my other briars, it smokes like a dream.

I have 2 that are great. Both smoke really well. They are a bit heavy and would not be something i would take on the fishing boat or anything where i neede my hands. However i love them when lounging aroumd.