Boswell's Northwoods

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj1015

Reaction score
Well, well. I'm about to do something I never imagined that I -- an unrepentant tobacco snob -- would someday be doing.
I'm about to give four stars to a full-on English-aromatic crossover blend. That's right - I'm about to favorably compare Boswell's Northwoods to perennial faves like Odyssey, Abingdon, Larry's Blend, Wilderness, etc.

This is my first Boswell's blend. I never tried Boswell's before because they are primarily known for their traditional American aromatics, a genre I don't smoke very much of. Anyway, after coming across a zillion positive reviews for Northwoods, I ordered a few ounces with the attitude that, if I didn't like it, I could certainly find something to mix it with.

Upon arrival, this ribbon-cut blend looked, felt and smelled like a heavy, goopy mess of Latakia and black cavendish, with maybe a few stray strands of Va mixed in for color. I loaded up a meer with some trepidation and got ready for .... well, not what I ultimately got, let me tell you.

Northwoods starts out pretty much as expected: a blast of pure latakia and cavendish-based sweetness. No subtlety here! I smoked a few minutes, enjoying the base flavors but disliking the muted but obvious aftertaste of what appears to be some kind of preservative or chemical casing (a slightly oily, almost plastic flavor that dances around the edge of the smoke in tandem with blasts of sweetness). The bowl started to heat up at the 15-minute mark, so I let it go out, fixed another drink and waited for it cool off. When I relit ...WAM!

At about a third of the way down, this blend morphs into a woodsy, spicy, COMPLEX mixture that immediately conjured up memories of some of my favorite Balkans. There are no orientals listed in the ingredients, so I can only surmise that this delicious spice comes from the Vas or even the Lat itself. (I wonder if the Vas are perhaps being gently stoved as the bowl burns down?) No matter -- as the bowl progressed, this delicious melange of incense-like flavors intensified, especially with relights. I even enjoyed smelling the smoke as it burned, and my wife didn't seem bothered at all by the room note. I've ever experienced anything like this in an crossover blend, and I've tried a LOT of them.

In summary, I'd describe this stuff as what might happen if Frog Morton stopped swilling chocolate syrup, went on an all-steroid diet and bought a gym membership. Put another way: This stuff is vaguely reminiscent of McClelland's lat offerings (British Woods, the FM series, and Legends) in terms of flavor but, where McClelland's mixtures are almost always on the mild side of the spectrum, Northoods is definitely on the stronger end. I am reluctant to place Northwoods in quite the same category as Pease's best Balkans or English blends (it's not THAT complex, as there are no orientals or even perique) but the bottom line is that I enjoy it as much as I do my Odyssey. I was absolutely floored by this stuff! I never would have believed these constituent tobaccos could add up to something this tasty or satisfying.

It burns very well, and has never bit my tongue (even when smoked aggressively enough to heat up the bowl). It has enough nicotine to satisfy, more than most traditional Englishes but not enough to scare anybody off. And -- oddly enough -- it tastes almost identical in my meers, briars and cobs! One caveat, however: this stuff really likes larger bowls, so don't even bother loading up a clay. Instead, reach for that giant Danish freehand sitter you haven't touched since discovering Virginia flakes and get ready for nirvana ....

I've smoked through most of my 4-ounce sample in a variety of pipes and I'm about to pull the triggr on a few pounds. The only negative I've identified -- and this is a BIG negative to many smokers -- is the aforementioned chemical aftertaste. I've encountered it before in blends like Shortcut to Mushrooms, 1-Q, etc., so I believe it to either be PG or something that's added to the black cavendish. It's annoying, and I still don't like it, but this blend's flavor and temperament simply overwhelms my traditional preference for more naturalistic English blends. I can, however, definitely envision some English or Balkan fans not being able to overlook it.

YMMV, of course.

Great review, thanks for posting it!

I recently got a couple of ounces of this, too, along with several of their aromatic offerings. I haven't tried the NW yet, as I am on an aro kick now, and, honestly, I'm finding that I just like aros better than Englishes for the most part. But, I'll look forward to trying the NW in a cob.

Cheers!
-Greg

I used to live in PA and frequented Boswell's often. I've smoked a number of their blends and was pleased with them back then. Haven't had any lately, but may need to order some.

If I remember correctly, I believe most of their blends started out back then as lane bases and were developed from there. This may be why they have a reminiscent pg type flavor. Over all still great blends though. I started out on their Boswell's best and went into their mild english and some others.

mac":id77z265 said:
I used to live in PA and frequented Boswell's often. I've smoked a number of their blends and was pleased with them back then. Haven't had any lately, but may need to order some.

If I remember correctly, I believe most of their blends started out back then as lane bases and were developed from there. This may be why they have a reminiscent pg type flavor. Over all still great blends though. I started out on their Boswell's best and went into their mild english and some others.
I believe you are right about the Lane bases being used here. When I was first learning to smoke a pipe, I discovered latakia through some of the house blends at the Gatlin-Burlier b&m in Gatlinburg. That shop uses Lane base tobaccos for its blends, and rather proudly displays some of the awards they'e won from Lane for the blends they've come up. In any case, I recently repurchased some of their heavy latakia blends (Smokies Smoke-Eaze and Cumberland) and they have a LOT in common with Northwoods. I believe that Boswell's likely uses the exact same base tobaccos only with more latakia and less cavendish. I suspects there is also some type of additional topping or spice included that mimics what orientals do in Balkans like Odyssey. All three blends have a tremendous amount in common in appearance, aroma, texture, taste, smoking characteristics, and even that odd aftertaste which I suspect is the result of a heavy hand with the PG. I thought I had long ago given up on this type of blend in favor of more "natural" Balkans, but Northwoods has something special going on with it.

I have tried several of the Boswell's blends. They are nice folks to deal with. The ones that I sampled were a no go. JMHO

Bill

hobie1dog":larbw0er said:
quite a few of the Boswell blends have an "after-taste"

True of the ones I've tried. I acquired some of their blends (Bear, No-Bite, Bos Burley, Magnum, NW Bos's Best...damn...I guess that's more than just some) early on in my career. That means last year.

Knowing my cigar tastes, I gathered I'd drift towards uncased blends. And I have. Meantime, though, a friend gave me some Pete aro blends last Xmas. After not having any of the Bos's for a while (or aros in general) I packed a CW with some Bear Blend about a month ago. The smell hit me as soon as I cracked the mason jar, and though it was off putting, I remembered I liked it so I smoked her anyway. The smell and taste are the same, and it followed throughout the whole bowl.

Reading here lately, though, prompted me to try another aro. This time is was a Pete blend (Deluxe), and when I cracked that jar there was none of that bad smell. A little vinegar ala McClellands, but I don't find that distressful, and it dissipates with airing and time. This prompted me to open all the jars of all the aros I had, and the Bos's definitely all had the same thing going on with the smell, whereas the others I had (except this other store blend) did not.

I smoked the Deluxe and enjoyed it much more than the Bos. I'm not knocking them, as they definitely has something going on positive taste-wise, but I'm now interested in trying other aros to find more that don't have that artificiality to them.

I will say that it is much, much milder in NW than the aros, but a bit stronger in the Magnum. Going to try me some more NW tomorrow....

Great review, and the Lane connection is interesting. Northwoods is the Boswell tobacco i enjoy the most; I wouldn't put it in the same league as Odyssey but it's enjoyable for sure.

I tried some early on, but didn't care for it. I've been smoking JM's "Magnum" as my daily choice in the past two months. I jarred my Northwoods supply and will have to revisit it this winter.

I also have tried both Country Side and North Woods from Boswells.To my noob taste they seem to be light english blends. I like them better than their Aeros.
Also,I just ordered my first tin of the much touted Penzance, and am looking forward to burning some.

Had some NW with my morning cafe and it was quite enjoyable. No nastiness smelled or tasted, just some smokey and sweet. Glad for this thread, as after my last tasting I was afraid it'd be some time before I tried any of my other Bos blends. Give her a go, I says.

Just had a bowl of this last night, I just love it, its a complex little tobacco that will keep you thinking while smoking it.

Went camping in the Poconos last weekend. Took my Peterson 80S Donegal and some NW along (also some Escudo, but I never touched it).

What a lovely outdoor smoke. Great in the morning, great in the evening...a little sweetness, but mostly smokey...yeah, I'm glad I came back to it.

Poor me broke my acrylic stem on my Bos rusticated full bent (egg or billiard, maybe). Gonna send it back on Monday and get a couple of NW sent back with it...

Oh, and my keg tapped out. :cry: :cry: My beer distributor (yeah, that's the way they roll here in PA...) is out, too. :cry: :cry:

I know how concerned you guys are about my Hop Devil intake. Rest assured, I had a few at tonight's Flyer's routing of the 'Cane....

deepbass9":motv8qxr said:
Went camping in the Poconos last weekend. Took my Peterson 80S Donegal and some NW along (also some Escudo, but I never touched it).

What a lovely outdoor smoke. Great in the morning, great in the evening...a little sweetness, but mostly smokey...yeah, I'm glad I came back to it.

Poor me broke my acrylic stem on my Bos rusticated full bent (egg or billiard, maybe). Gonna send it back on Monday and get a couple of NW sent back with it...

Oh, and my keg tapped out. :cry: :cry: My beer distributor (yeah, that's the way they roll here in PA...) is out, too. :cry: :cry:

I know how concerned you guys are about my Hop Devil intake. Rest assured, I had a few at tonight's Flyer's routing of the 'Cane....
I've also found this stuff excels as an outdoors smoke .... also, like most latakia-heavy blends, cool air seems to really set it off, too.

I just picked up my first Boswell pipe and added 2 ounces of Northwoods with it. I love it. I enjoyed the Northwoods better than My Full Virgina Flake. Who knew?

I am a NorthWoods fan, but I jar my order and visit it usually 6 months after its jarred. For me, it just seems to smoke better once its aged some.

ITSETTLE":z9pj1dri said:
I am a NorthWoods fan, but I jar my order and visit it usually 6 months after its jarred. For me, it just seems to smoke better once its aged some.
I agree, I had some jarred in my basement for nearly a year and it was significantly more flavorful after some age. I just stopped by the shop tonight, and grabbed six more ounces for the cellar. Got there just before they closed for the evening.

Northwoods smokes very well but I cant get over the aftertaste. I have several jars of boswell blends that I will never smoke for this reason. Not to mention the aros ghost a pipe something fierce.

Bill