Boswell's Tobacco - Impression from a newbie

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozjo33

Reaction score
I received my self-made "sampler's pack" from Boswells today. One of which is a pouch of Boswell's Best.

As the title suggests, I am very new to pipe smoking, so I apologize if my review does not go into normal detail as you may come to expect from the forum.

Here is the description of the blend straight from thier website: http://www.boswellpipes.com/index.html

Boswell’s Best – A masterful blend of Cavendish, string cut Virginia and black vanilla Cavendish added as enhancer to make an all day smoke.

From the first light/draw, it was very smooth and cool. I see why Boswells calls this "all day smoke." I could taste some vanilla as their description states. Personally I can taste some nuttiness to it as well. The nicotine was a little stronger than I have tried with other blends. The smoke was full and thick. The aroma was excellent.

I had a very hard time keeping it lit, but I think that was more user error than anything else. I was also breaking in my new Savinelli at the same time and did not pack the bowl too well which I'm sure effected the tobacco staying lit.

Overall I enjoyed Boswell's Best. I look forward to trying it again.

EDIT - I'm going to keep adding my impressions of the Boswells blends I received for Christmas to this thread instead of starting new ones. I encourage any others to add their thoughts or reviews of their experiences with any Boswells tobaccos.

...if you've ever read the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, yours is quite alright by comparison.

You'll get the hang of the lighting, but it sounds like you're enjoying, and well... that's the key, right there. Boswell makes some great tobaccos!

Just because it's the way it is done around here (inundations of suggestions :lol: ), consider Pipeworks & Wilke's sampler packs. They also have great aromatic (and other) blends that Carole, the blender, does quite well. http://www.vtpipes.com/tobacco.html I think for about $40 you can have another line of great stuff to try! The descriptions I also find to be pretty accurate and give a great understanding to what you're getting.

Enjoy the nicotine hits... :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

Thanks for the link and the encouragement Kyle. I am enjoying this new hobby. I'm gonna try the Premium Burley sometime today. Now if I can only convince to boss (aka the wife) to let me smoke indoors!

So, What other blends were in your sampler?

I recently received an order from Boswells

Pipers Pleasure,,,, I like ALOT
No Bite Delite,,,,,,,I Like, and the Family likes alot (roomnote)
Virginia Slice,,,,,,,,I Like ALOT
Northwoods,,,,,,,,,Hmmm?? I dont know , tried 1 bowl,,and I just dont know if I like Latakia....will try it again some other day.

Lets hear what you got , and some more reviews.

DustyRoundup":qj5fm5fm said:
So, What other blends were in your sampler?

I recently received an order from Boswells

Pipers Pleasure,,,, I like ALOT
No Bite Delite,,,,,,,I Like, and the Family likes alot (roomnote)
Virginia Slice,,,,,,,,I Like ALOT
Northwoods,,,,,,,,,Hmmm?? I dont know , tried 1 bowl,,and I just dont know if I like Latakia....will try it again some other day.

Lets hear what you got , and some more reviews.
Hey Dusty,

Here is my list:

Boswell's Best - 1 ounce

Boswell's Premium Burley - 1 ounce

No Bite Delite - 1 ounce

Piper's Pleasure - 1 ounce

Spice and Nice - 1 ounce

I'm going to try the Preium Burley today. I'll let you knwo how it goes.

Mozjo33":52veb8fe said:
Thanks for the link and the encouragement Kyle. I am enjoying this new hobby. I'm gonna try the Premium Burley sometime today. Now if I can only convince to boss (aka the wife) to let me smoke indoors!
Their burley blend isn't highly rated in the reviews, but I sure like it. It doesn't bite and the nicotine is really low, at least by other burleys (I'm smoking some Solani Aged Burley Flake now, it has some N!) It is a bit bland, but I seem to prefer that in my tobaccos.

It is a bit of a drive for you, but you are more than welcome at our Boswells meet & greet on Jan 7th - try some in person.

Don't mess with your wife's rules (typed as I sit out in the garage...)! I keep noticing the Maryland flag in your photo, where was it taken?

riff raff":avijlk1u said:
Mozjo33":avijlk1u said:
Their burley blend isn't highly rated in the reviews, but I sure like it. It doesn't bite and the nicotine is really low, at least by other burleys (I'm smoking some Solani Aged Burley Flake now, it has some N!) It is a bit bland, but I seem to prefer that in my tobaccos.

It is a bit of a drive for you, but you are more than welcome at our Boswells meet & greet on Jan 7th - try some in person.

Don't mess with your wife's rules (typed as I sit out in the garage...)! I keep noticing the Maryland flag in your photo, where was it taken?
I just finished the Premium Burley (in the garage :p ). I'll get to that in a second.

I'm going to try to make the meet & greet at Boswells. I really want to get one of thier pipes. It depends on how we are getting our daughter back to Penn State. Which brings me to your question: the picture was taken at Penn State during our tailgate before the Nebraska game.

As far as the Premium Burley (PB) - I liked it a lot. Instead of making a new thread, I'll just keep adding my thoughts on this one. I was surprised I didn't get the nicotine boost that I was preparing for especially since I read that burley has such a nicotine bump. The PB smoked hotter than the Boswell's Best. The smoke was thick and I tasted spice. It also had a different flavor I have never tasted which I am assuming was the burley. I enjoyed as much as I did Boswell's Best. I'm looking forward to my next bowl.

I tried Piper's Pleasure today. I'm still undecided about it. I liked it, I just don't know if I liked it a lot. Of course to be fair, I did smoke it in a brand new Boswell pipe that hasn't been broken in yet and had the black stuff in the bowl, ( I usually get rid of that stuff but just plain ol' forgot on this one.) It was intriguing enough that this evening I find myself looking forward to another bowl of it soon, so that's a good thing. It does have a nice mocha latte taste to it that appealed to me. The first puffs were distinctly chocolate but soon gave way to more of the coffee nuances. After that, it stayed the same throughout the bowl. I think next time I have a bowl I will have some black coffee with it and see how that goes. It burned nicely, had a few relights (no big deal) and left a very small amount of doddle.

If anyone has been on the fence on ordering this one, I would go ahead and get a bit to try... it definitely has promise.

Looking forward to seeing what others thought of it.

Boswells Pipers pleasure is a MUST, its everything you wanted in a chocolate blend...even has hints of coffee and vanilla. This is one of those tobaccos that taste just like it smells...Delicious!!

Also recommend Christmas Cookie under the "aromatic" catagory.

On the topic of English you cant go wrong with Northwoods...its heaven!

Simple Man":uropte32 said:
I tried Piper's Pleasure today. I'm still undecided about it. I liked it, I just don't know if I liked it a lot. Of course to be fair, I did smoke it in a brand new Boswell pipe that hasn't been broken in yet and had the black stuff in the bowl, ( I usually get rid of that stuff but just plain ol' forgot on this one.) It was intriguing enough that this evening I find myself looking forward to another bowl of it soon, so that's a good thing. It does have a nice mocha latte taste to it that appealed to me. The first puffs were distinctly chocolate but soon gave way to more of the coffee nuances. After that, it stayed the same throughout the bowl. I think next time I have a bowl I will have some black coffee with it and see how that goes. It burned nicely, had a few relights (no big deal) and left a very small amount of doddle.

If anyone has been on the fence on ordering this one, I would go ahead and get a bit to try... it definitely has promise.

Looking forward to seeing what others thought of it.
Thanks for the input & review SM!!! :cheers: I'm going with Piper's Pleasure tomorrow.

PipeLeisure":2viae617 said:
Boswells Pipers pleasure is a MUST, its everything you wanted in a chocolate blend...even has hints of coffee and vanilla. This is one of those tobaccos that taste just like it smells...Delicious!!

Also recommend Christmas Cookie under the "aromatic" catagory.

On the topic of English you cant go wrong with Northwoods...its heaven!
It does taste a lot like it smells, and the aroma is delicious... I think after my pipe gets broken in better this will be a very enjoyable smoke. I probably should have tried it in one of my cobs, but I wanted to use that Boswell really bad...

I'll put in my two cents.......and it'll be worth at least half that much.:D

Boswell's Best: I think this is one of the blends from them that has the wrong name. Don't get me wrong, but I certainly don't think it's his best. A light vanilla, nice flavor without being too sweet like a drugstore brand. Yes, I could smoke it all day, but I just don't think I'd like to. I liked it alright, but it just didn't stick out as a "best" to me.

Bear Blend: So far this is my favorite aromatic from them. Keep in mind I've only tried three of their aromatics so that may change with my next order. It's got a nice caramel flavor to it with a hint of vanilla. Good, even, thick smoke. The caramel tapers off after about a third of a bowl and you're left with what tastes like a good virginia. Don't know what's in there, but it says it has some cherry. I guess now that I think of it, yeah, there's a bit of cherry. But to me the caramel stands out.

PA Dutch Treat: This is cherry, no doubt about it. That and a lot of dark cavendish. I like cavendish a lot so I get along pretty well with this one. But it's one of those that I might smoke a bowl a week. It's sweeter than the others I've tried and for me at least, a little bit goes a long way.

Magnum: I got this because Dan screwed up when he wrote down my order. I had actually ordered Majestic 586. His mistake was serendipitous. This is an excellent straight ahead English. Not too strong and not too weak. A perfect smoke in my book: tastes good, smokes good, affordable, and lights well. On my next order I'm going to get enough to cellar away. The first bit I got almost two months ago has already added a bit of character so I'm looking forward to letting it grow old in an unmolested jar.

Northwoods: What can I say, I love this blend. Think Magnum with the addition of some sort of oriental note (I'm not experienced enough to tell you which one) and a good dash of BLACK cavendish. Rich, campfire, smell that makes me want to sprinkle it on the charcoal the next time I'm doing ribs. OK. I wouldn't waste fine tobacco like that, but you get the idea. As a (hopefully) former ciggy smoker I do occassionally sneak an inhale in. This tobacco has a lot of the characteristics of OLD Camel unfiltereds, back when they actually used some oriental baccy and before they whored out the blend to the suits with the pocket books.

And that's it for now. I'm calling tomorrow and in addition to re-stocking Magnum, Northwoods, and Bear, I'll be adding some of their Burley, Pipers Pleasure, No Bite, and maybe something else. One thing I noticed with my first order is that Dan threw in an ounce of a different blend as a bonus. Hopefully he'll do the same again and I'll get to try something else new.

Thanks for your 2 cents Josjor! I was going to go with Bear Blend and Northwoods my next order. Now I will be going with Magnum too.

Tried some Spice and Nice. Boswell's name for their blend hits it right on the head. You can taste the "spicy-ness" throughout the entire bowl. After a couple of re-lites at the beginning, I was able to keep it burning with minimal effort. The smoke was smooth as Boswell's description. The only oddity was that I got a foul taste at the end of the bowl. Overall I would rate this tobacco a 5.5/6 out of 10. It was pleasant, but it left me wanting for more.

Just got a shipment from Boswell's and I ordered in a bit of a rush as line 2 was ringing at the shop. As such I forgot to get a couple of the blends I was wanting to sample. Oh, well. Good reason to order again from them.:D Still, here's a mini-review of their newest blend.

Piper's Pleasure: I've only had two bowls of this stuff and usually I like to really get to know a baccy before commenting, so I'll keep this one pretty short. The pouch smells great. Very rich. So rich, in fact, that it makes you worry that this will be a syrupy sweet smoke. Then you get the surprise when you light it up and it tastes just like it smells: Rich, not sweet. Chocolate notes, coffee notes, vanilla notes. About halfway down the bowl I get some almonds or something...not quite sure. Buttered pecans? Anyway, concerns about a goopy smoke are unfounded. It burns down to the bottom of the bowl with no gurgle and upon dumping the bowl there isn't any sticky mess at the bottom. Perfect.

I don't know that I'll order several ounces of the stuff, but it is definately worth keeping in the rotation. Of their aro's this one and Bear blend have turned out to be my favs so far.

Josjor":muatfuok said:
Just got a shipment from Boswell's and I ordered in a bit of a rush as line 2 was ringing at the shop. As such I forgot to get a couple of the blends I was wanting to sample. Oh, well. Good reason to order again from them.:D Still, here's a mini-review of their newest blend.

Piper's Pleasure: I've only had two bowls of this stuff and usually I like to really get to know a baccy before commenting, so I'll keep this one pretty short. The pouch smells great. Very rich. So rich, in fact, that it makes you worry that this will be a syrupy sweet smoke. Then you get the surprise when you light it up and it tastes just like it smells: Rich, not sweet. Chocolate notes, coffee notes, vanilla notes. About halfway down the bowl I get some almonds or something...not quite sure. Buttered pecans? Anyway, concerns about a goopy smoke are unfounded. It burns down to the bottom of the bowl with no gurgle and upon dumping the bowl there isn't any sticky mess at the bottom. Perfect.

I don't know that I'll order several ounces of the stuff, but it is definately worth keeping in the rotation. Of their aro's this one and Bear blend have turned out to be my favs so far.
I've had two bowls of Piper's Pleasure as well and I couldn't agree with you more. A very...very smooth tasty smoke.

I'm going to have another bowl of no bite delight this evening.