Bourbon Recommendation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
So I "should" be heading home shortly, if all goes according to plan. Looking for a celebratory welcome home bourbon for myself when I get home. Blanton's is my normal go to but can be kind of hard to find and apparently you can't order spirits to be shipped to NC. So what do you guys enjoy? Always interested in something new.

D.L.Ruth":6ix63wnn said:
So I "should" be heading home shortly, if all goes according to plan. Looking for a celebratory welcome home bourbon for myself when I get home. Blanton's is my normal go to but can be kind of hard to find and apparently you can't order spirits to be shipped to NC. So what do you guys enjoy? Always interested in something new.
Currently working on Colonel E. H. Taylor Small Batch Bottled In Bond. Enjoying every drop.

Winners time and time again in the “modest cost really great” category (my favorite category) plus two moderate cost (Rare Breed & the Knob Creek). These are consistently picked as “most popular” or “most recommended”.

Not in order...

Buffalo Trace (Bourbon)

Eagle Rare (Bourbon)

Wild Turkey 101 (Bourbon)

Rare Breed (cask strength)

Monkey Shoulder (a Speyside non-Smokey Scotch)

Knob Creek Rye (more expensive but a smooth, full flavored Rye Whiskey)

As mentioned, these are not just MY picks, although I currently have each one in my cabinet.  I typically go on about three websites that specifically deal with tastings and polls of thousands of “viewers”.  That’s where I found out about these.

I can heartily recommend Old Forrester's Prohibition Style...that is with a couple of caveats.

First, it's a little pricey; $59.00 here in Kentucky. Second, it is very, very rich and packs a wallop (115 proof).

The story goes that the Old Forrester distillery was given a 'medicinal' license to make alcohol. This issue uses the original mashbill and is bottled at the original keg proof.

Worth a try if you like old-fashioned bourbons like they were in the 70's and like rich bourbons like "Booker."

Thanks Blackhorse for the recommendation, was a great way to welcome myself home. Also got a bottle of Rare Breed to try. Trying to build a more diverse liquor cabinet.

Good picks, both. I can’t afford Rare Breed any more but still consider it arguably my top pick.

Now for Scotch try Monkey Shoulder. Great Speyside style. Very reasonable. Very, very friendly. And I hear they just introduced a smoky version that’s just as good but with a hint of that classic smoky Scotch goodness.

I just got back from a “reward event” done by my wife’s ex employer. Open bar. Terrible choice of whiskey. Ended up picking Johnny Walker Red. They gave us three “drink tickets”. With two hundred guests there and long lines to the various bars I just gave the tender my three tickets and said, “make it a triple, neat”. She poured me out a rocks glass FULL of Scotch. OMG! Musta been 5 - 6 shots in there. And (here’s the point) it took about 3/4 of that glass over two hours til it tasted halfway OK. All I can say in remembrance of the evening was that I didn’t get arrested and felt fine the next morning.

Bulleit. All good. Bourbon, rye, frontier whiskey, small batch. Priced reasonable.

The only brand that seemed to impress me more was twice the price and is out of business, J.K. Williams. They had a good thing going.